Oxycontin effects

beckyg

Does oxycontin typically suppress appetite? I will of course talk to the onc. about this problem this afternoon when I go, but I just wondered what you guys thought. I haven't eaten because I was hungry for over two weeks. I eat 2 or 3 times a day because I need to, but it doesn't take much food before I am feeling uncomfortably full. I have tried ignoring that feeling and eating more, but then it just comes back up. This started about 4 days after I started the Oxycontin, so I have been thinking there might be a connection.

All that stuff slows down your intestines, so you're not digesting well.

Me, all through chemo and all, many months, I wouldn't say I was "hungry", but I ate. Make sure you get plenty of fiber in there, and exercise -- walk -- to keep things moving.

I perforated my bowels and had an ostomy because the morphine slowed everything down waaay too much.

I'd put the appetite down to the whole treatment/ chemo/ med thing, and eat anyway. Remember the fiber to keep moving things along.

I hope you feel less concerned, and maybe you'll even be hungry again.

MaryAnn

Yes , narcotics can cause constipation. Colace or an over the counter "stool" softener will help . and if your not getting enough fiber you can buy that also over the counter to keep you regular. Donna G

It's not so much constipation that I am concerned about. I don't go very often lately, but that has more to do I think with how little I am eating than with being constipated--when it happens, it isn't particularly hard. I just have no desire to eat. I eat small meals and feel unsettled for hours afterward until it is time to force myslef ot eat something else. I have lived for two weeks on cereal, oatmeal, and crackers because anything more exciting just come right back up.

Becky

Becky you need your Brocoli! and all those good vegi s that fight Cancer! Try to think of food as medicine , not a good thing to loose weight now. Donna G PS get some Boost or some supplement shake and drink down your nutrition if you must. Please take care

Becky,

When I was going through radiation and taking lots of constipating medicine, I found a GENTLE natural way to get through the not going and needing to... Dried apricots. I started out with six per day and got down to three through scientific methods (six had me running to the potty, three let me go peacefully).

If you are forcing yourself to eat, you SHOULD be ridding yourself of waste, as well. Work on keeping it all moving...

...and you're right on the money with calling the doctor.

Good luck!

Becky

Becky,

Those drugs killed my appetite, too. Something I found out the hard way is that if I was taking the ones that contained Acetaminophen (same drug as Tylenol) I would be sick and have no appetite, but as soon as the docs switched me to the ones that didn't contain Acetaminophen my appetite began to return and I was able to keep things down a little better. Just something you may want to check into.

Hoping you are feeling better very soon.

Becky,

The chemo will really depressed my appetite to virtually zip. I remember forcing myself to eat. I was lucky to get half of a half of sandwhich in me, nothing appealed to me. Then with radiation...well, I am sure you remember that. Most sedating medications also diminish the appetite and the digestive system. Eat small, frequent meals. Bland foods without a smell helped me. Hope your appetite improves.

Cheryl

Becky,

My mom was/is on Oxycontin for back pain attributed to fractures. She was taking it for over a month at which time she lost about 20 pounds. She said she just never felt hungry and food had no taste. My mom had a procedure done on her back to relieve the pain and now she takes less Oxycontin and is back to eating and putting some weight back on...from what the doctors told us it does effect the appetite.

Hi Becky;

Yea, went through the same thing when they took my lung. Screwed up the eating and stomach somethng terrible. I was off of em in about 3 weeks though so it wasn't that bad. I'm going through the same thing now with the vicodin I'm on.

I say screw the brocoli, I'm downin ROOTBEER FLOATS!! :shock:

God bless and hang in there!!

Bobmc- NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

MRI's taken 12/18/03 - 2 brain mets found- named em Frick & Frack

PET taken 1/5 - hot spot in mediastinum May be cancer??

"Absolutely insist on enjoying life today!" [icon_smile.gif]

Hi Becky,

My onc had me on percocet 5mg every 4 hours for pain management for the first 2 weeks of this battle.They seemed to work ok.The pain was not unbearable anyway.The original headaches that I had with these brain mets was so scary,this was before diagnosis, that I think I approach pain management differently than most people do.After I was diagnosed I knew that I did not want to get any more of those real bad headaches so I started taking a percocet every time a small headache began.I was trying to stop it before it got too bad.It worked for me for a while.Then I decided that the percocet was not lasting long enough.I asked for a longer acting pain medicine because the once every 4 hours percocet turned out to be as advertised.I would do fine for 4 hours but it usually took me a couple of those hours to finally get to sleep.The sleeplessness I attribute to 6mg decadron a day.A necessary evil I guess.If you have made it this far without total confusion I am very proud of you.I keep having to look back to see what I said.I am from Georgia though so bear that in mind.

Three days ago the onc put me on oxycontin.40mg/12 hours with percocet every 4 hours for "breakthrough"pain.It is working for me.I still do not have regular sleep habits but when I do go to sleep I sleep much better.He also put me on senna s.A stool softner/laxative to take every time I take an oxycontin.This regimen has really helped me.I still find myself up at all hours reading this message board but when I get sleepy can go lay down and sleep without worrying about pain coming back befoe I am ready to get up.I have too many fears to let me sleep well.I worry about constipation as my onc warned me before oxycontn that this could become a major problem and instructed me to keep daily tabs on it.I don't want to get behind in that area.Now I think I am sleeping better because I eat and am not worried about being constipated.I never lost my appetite during this whole time except a couple of occasions when I was worried for not having had a bowel movement.If I start to get "plugged up" I don't want to eatI think,in my case,that is a mental thing more than physical.It doesn't hurt to be surrounded by great southern cooks either.This is more than you needed or wanted to know I am sure.I have actually gained 9 lbs since beginning radiation treatment.I have had no chemo though.You are in our prayers and I hope something in this rambling may help you.Let us know how things are going.I love this place.TBoe :D