dad significantly worse, desperately need advice

Guest a.

My father has taken a significant turn for the worse. He was in a lot of pain and is now taking much more pain medication. He is very disoriented when awake, and sleeps most of the time. His liver is much worse than it was a couple of months ago. The doctors have told us he has 7-10 days to live. They have recommended against trying a second-line chemo - they say it will most probably only kill him or make him suffer more. I need advice about what to do re. second-line chemo. Has anyone been in this kind of situation. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP.

a.

Hear is a prayer for you dear.

Lord Jesus, You are the Great Physician. All healing comes from you. Thank you for caring so much about those who are ill. Thank you for your healing power.

Your Word says that healing is your children’s bread. It says you are the Lord that heals me. And that by your stripes we are healed.

That you took my infirmities and carried my sickness. And whatever things I desire when I pray to believe I receive them and I shall have them. Therefore, I receive your healing now, Lord, in my area of physical need of healing any cancer that is present within my body. I believe you are restoring me to health and vitality.

In Jesus name I pray,

Amen

I am so sorry you are in such pain right now. It sounds like you have a lot of things to think about and lots of decisions to make. My husband did try a second line therapy and had no good results. I know there are people on this board that have great success with second line treatment. I can only tell you to ask your doctors a lot of questions and pray for God to give you the strength and wisdom to make the right decisions. I will keep you and your Dad in my prayers.

Hello, I must say I do know how you feel and what you are going through! I just went through the same thing in January w/ my mother in law. She passed away on January 7th after a very very short time of knowing she had the disease. Please keep your faith and know that no matter what God is in control!!!! I am saying a prayer for you, your dad and your family, May God be with you all!!! Crystal

Is there someone, anyone you can consult with for another opinion? This disease is hell but it is worth the fight till the very end. My husband almost died in December and they tried radiation and it worked when the chemo could not control the tumors. I am praying. It was just a fluke that we sought the opinion from the radiologist onc.

Thank you all for writing, and for thinking of my father. I am sorry to say that he passed away yesterday morning. The chemo stopped working, and by the time we realized what was happening, it was too late.

This site has been a great source of hope. Thank you for your help and support. I will try to post a photo of my dad in the next few days. I wish you all could have known him.

a.

a~

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. I will be keeping you in my prayers during this strange, surreal time. Stick with this site to help you deal with your grief. It was very helpful to me, and I was constantly sharing other helpful posts with family members as they seemed to speak to the different situations that arose.

It would be great to post a picture of him. It is so good to look at photos of our loved ones when they were not in pain. It is also a small comfort to know they are not in pain anymore.

Hang in there...one hour at a time...one day at a time...it's your call...

God bless~

Karen M.

a., I'm sorry you lost your beloved father. I know the pain of losing a father.

I hope that your wonderful memories of him sustain you in your grief. I found it comforting after Dad's death to remind myself that although he is gone, he is always with me. God bless you and your family.

So very sorry for your loss. Prayers as you grieve.

Hope

Mom dx with sclc limited stage 0l-02

5 months chemo (carboplatin & etoposide), radiation, no pci

Recurrance 06-03 found with follow up c/t, chemo (carboplatin & etoposide) began then stopped due to severe reaction

07-03 pet scan concurred ca in sternum

09-03 ct shows ca spread

09-03 Three 28-day cycles of cisplatinum & cpt-ll

12-03 some tumors responding, began 2 more 28 day cycles cisplatinum & cpt-ll

01-04 CT showed no recent growth/no recent shrinkage. On 6 week break from any treatment. Will do another CT end of 02-04.

You're so right......it would have been great to have known your dad. Sadly....cancer is indescriminate in its destruction....often stealing loving vibrant people in their prime. It certainly is not fair. Please know my heart goes out to both you and your family.