Bronchial tube and Radiation

Laurel

I have Stage 3A NSCLC Adenocarcinoma. I start radiation treatments soon. Two of the target areas are on my wind pipe...making the bronchial tubes part of the target. I was told to expect fatigue and a sore throat. Any suggestions on dealing with radiation treatments?

Laurel,

When in conventional radiation with a tumor in the right main stem bronchus, I experienced the following side effects: sunburn of the right chest, sore throat, dry and constant nagging cough, and declining energy.  In the first two weeks of radiation, I didn't feel a thing.  Each of these symptoms presented during week three.  While I received medication to counter the skin burn, sore throat and dry cough, there was nothing to address the declining energy.  In my sixth week of radiation, I could hardly walk from the handicapped parking spot to the clinic.

I'd live life normally for the first two or three weeks.  You'll likely be able to get your self to the clinic and back, assuming the trip length is short, during week four and five.  Find someone to drive and wake you up, feed you, and etc. in week six.

Radiation is a sure kill.  Probability of hit = 1; probability of kill = 1.  The target areas will be engaged and destroyed, toasted, fried and absolutely disrupted!  I like the thought of radiation being our get even treatment for lung cancer: kinetic, catastrophic and dire straits in the extreme for our nasty disease!  So you'll have discomfort but lots of payback!  Lock and load Laurel and blast away those tumors!

Stay the course.

Tom

Tom,

My Radiologist has recommended a cream to slather on my torso, front and back, after each radiation. He mentioned I may get s sore throat. When that happens, I sm to ask him for medication. It is 45 minute drive each way. I gave a friend who has volunteered to take me Tuesdsy and Thursday. I have other friends and my husband ready to drive. I am going to do most of driving first two weeks.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Hi Laurel!

I just finished 6 weeks of radiation last week. One of the target areas was a lymphnode by my esophogus. They told me to expect some pretty bad heartburn, pain, acid reflux, etc., due to the location. I had planned for my cousin to come in from San Francisco for the last week of radiation to help get me through it as it sounded like I'd need it. I ended up doing well enough that I didn't need the help.. I had minor discomfort.  I ended up spending the last week of my radiation treatments on the beach with my cousin. I called it a Radiation Staycation. LOL

A friend I met in radiation had really bad skin burns. They were able to change the method of delivery for her and it began to clear up the last week. I only had mild soreness. Everyone has different experiences.

I also found that a nice slow walk around the neighborhood each morning before I went in helped me keep my energy levels up.

In retrospect, that 6 weeks went by pretty fast!

Good Luck!

Laurel,

My mom had radiation in a similar spot as Kleo.  Her radiologist said that sore throat was highly likely - she had one for the last 1-2 weeks of treatment, but it never got so bad that she couldn't eat.  It was really just more annoying than anything else.  Besides fatigue, this was the only other side effect that she had. Radiation was a breeze for her.

Kleo,

Thank you so much for sharing. Was there anything you took to help with the heartburn and sore throat?  I love that you spent time on the beach. Taking walks is always a good idea....especially taking our terrier. I hope things go as well for me. Bless you.

Steff,

Thank you for sharing the good news. Hoping for a breezy radiation treatment. :) It can't be as bad as chemotherapy was.

My radiation doc insisted I take an over the counter heartburn med. She didn't care which really,. I was so sick of taking pills with the chemo so I got a fast melt called Lansoprazole. Strawberry flavored!  And I took children's Motrin occasionally for aches and pains. I'm a big baby. LOL

Kleo, had to laugh about your radiation staycation.

I, too, had a cousin come out from the Bay Area after my surgery (the original surgery wasn't bad but my brief re-hospitalization for surgical crepitus wiped me out).  I bounced back fast enough that she and I were running around getting our nails done and going out to eat.  :-)  We had a blast.

Cousins can be awesome--especially when you live alone!

PaulaC,

Do remember the name of your swish and swallow numbing product?  Thanks. :)

Kleo,

I picked up over the counter heartburn meds. Thank you.🤗

LexieCat,

You know how to get fun in to your life. I am trying to follow your example.❤

Robert,

I picked up Biotene Dry Mouth rinse. My sister recommended it too.😉

Thank you all!!!

I had a PET scan over one week ago. I finally got the results---no evidence of spreading, no evidence of disease. Yea!😆

I went to Radiologist today to get things set up. They are doing a direct stream radiation from breast area to neck...through the middle following the wind pipe. This goes right through the body...my sister not thrilled with this. There is no doubt it will hit esophaghus and neck.  I will have 20 daily treatments. I was told it would be 25 to 33...so ...yea! I start tomorrow.

FANTASTIC!  Really, REALLY happy to hear it.  

Makes the dental issues a bit more bearable, doesn't it?  Keep us posted--hopefully it all goes great.  

Fabulous news Laurel!  That wonderful news will hopefully help you get through the radiation treatments and make any side effects you may have more bearable.  

Yay for only 20! It'll go by fast for sure.

That swish & swallow numbing stuff is probably Magic Mouthwash. The doc has to prescribe it for you.

LexieCat, Steff, BridgetO, Kleo,

Thank you for being cheerleaders! You're awesome!

I have 20 sticky notes on my mirror...pulling one off after each treatment. I can do this!

2 hours ago, Laurel said:

It's called "Magic Mouthwash". Your doc has to give you an rx it's not over the counter.

That's great news, Laurel! We'll be thinking and counting down with you while you undergo radiation. The post-its are a great idea! Please continue to let us know how you're doing. We're here for you, as always.

With gratitude,

Lauren
--
Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

4 hours ago, Laurel said:

Triple mix (equal parts Maalox/Visc Lidocaine/Benadryl Elix) it’s an rx from the doc. 

It was mixed at pickup at Walgreens

I was also given a mixer to drink 4 times a day called Carafate. 

2 hours ago, Laurel said:

My Radiologist said yo let him know when my throat got sore. He would prescribe "something".

Laurel hopefully you won’t need it!  I think the chemo radiation combo is what did me in.  I had thrush and couldn’t swallow. 

Take Care

Paula

Archived