Back again

Michele

Hello everybody I haven't been on for a while.I Am a survivor of nscl going on 2 years in December. 6 months after my surgery my husband was diagnosed with small cell lung. With all the treatments he has been in remission for a year until yesterday we were told it came back in same spot plus some extra spots above it. The good thing it hasn't spread to other . he was limited the first time caught early; but this time he is maybe extensive caught early! We start chemo this Tuesday. I'm so heartbroken. I know second time around for small cell isn't good. I pray he can go into remission again! After the first time chemo and Radation did effect his heart had a depliberator  put in about 4 months ago I hope chemo now doesn't make it worse. In the last 2 years I had cancer; my husband; my brother the same time as my husband who die 11 months ago of nscl stage 4; and now my Aunt has lung nscl and my husband again.I just want to scream with mental pain!! Thank you for listening needed a place to vent! (Michele)

My goodness, Michele, i can understand why you need to vent!  I'm sorry for the loss of your brother. Along with your husband's recurrence and your aunt''s diagnosis, you have a  lot to  deal with.  Keep positing and let us kow how we can support you.

Bridget O

Aw, man.  I'm so sorry, Michele--I hope the chemo is able to knock out this recurrence.  And I'm sorry about your family--that's an awful lot of cancer to be dealing with.  

Sending hugs and positive thoughts.  

Michele,

I am so sorry to hear about all that you and your family are going thru. When it rains is pours. 

Sending happy thoughts your way

Take care,

Steff

Thank you Tom! And everybody! I will try to stay the course! I took a leave of abcense of work this will be my third snowbird season that I will miss but my boss called and told me not to worry about my job that he will try to put me somewhere when I can come back ; so that made me feel a little better. I'm really worried about this time around for my husbands chemo cycles he is not the healthiest;neuropathy; heart ;diabetes;.he was going to have surgery on his back next week for severe spinal stenosis and he has waited so long for approval for it from the VA.but now he can't have it Cuz of chemo; so I'm afraid the chemo is going to make the back pain even worse. I have to be strong for him but I'm terrified inside.I was scared the first time for him but for some reason I knew he could beat it and he did; but this time I...just; well to many ifs . I took care of my father dying of cancer which was very hard and I feel it even gave me a little post tramactic stress ; but I feel this time around will be 100 times harder. ( if goes wrong) they will be using the same drug for small cell and if he respond good his 2 Nd cycle they will add a new drug immunotherapy to it. Well I'll keep you informed thanks for listening. 

Michele,

No problem about us listening. That’s why we’re here. 

Ensure you carve out time in your day to take care of you. I know what you face ahead and you won’t be able to be an effective care giver if you are worn out. 

Can a friend or family member give you a break once in a while?

Stay the course. 

Tom

Hi, Michele,

I’m sorry this seems to be coming at you from all sides. We are absolutely here for you! Please continue to post and keep us updated on how you and your husband are doing. And please let me know if you’d like additional info about LUNGevity’s support program and resources for caregivers.

With gratitude,

Lauren

Digital Community Manager
LUNGevity Foundation

Hi, Michele.  Vent any time - we're here and we understand.  Tom is right - you have to take care of yourself first.  I'm hopeful that you have a good support system to help you both physically and mentally.  

Please keep us posted.

Thank you Susan! My husband just finished his first 3 day chemo treatment so far he is doing pretty good.maybe because we had to give a shot of white blood cells 24 hours after the last treatment.my husband doesn't read anything about his cancer; maybe that's a good thing because recurring small cell says nothing good; but it makes it harder for me because can't talk about what if?  Have to take each day as it comes. No I really don't have any body maybe a neighbor friend but people have their own problems too! Well thanks for listening.

Thank you LexieCat! I was wondering when you get Radation ;that burns the cancer and area right? If so then how does cancer return in the same spot? 

I don't know as much about radiation as some people here, but from what I understand, no matter what treatment is used, there can still be cancer cells that are missed.  

I'm glad your job is supportive--mine is like that, too, and it helps tremendously not to have to worry about that on top of everything else.  

Have you asked at the hospital where he's being treated whether there are any support groups there for caregivers?  

Michele,

Some people experience minor burns from radiation, but that doesn't necessarily stop the cancer from returning in that spot.  i continue to be amazed at where my recurrences have popped up, but I've decided there is no logic to this stupid cancer.

You might check with the American Cancer Society.  They can often refer you to people and businesses who provide assistance at little or no charge.  I know that I was offered free housekeeping during treatment from a local service.  

Michele,

I just read your posts and the responses you've received... I'm glad you have these awesome people to listen and turn to.  They really are amazing.  I am not of much help as this is all new to me (I just had a lobectomy last month) so I am not well-educated and still in denial that I had lung cancer.  You sound like a seasoned veteran when it comes to this - but I can certainly understand the PTSD you might be experiencing. I think any of us who have cared for a loved one with a terminal illness can relate.  Please know that you and your husband are in my thoughts.  Heed Tom's wise advice - I know, easier said than done - but you will need to take care of you, too. 

Colleen

Michele,

Lung cancer is a *itch! Small cell lung cancer is a *itch cubed!  I have a good friend, a high school alumnus, who is burdened by small cell lung cancer.  He is went through the same treatment as your husband.  He is now consulting with a radiation oncologist to "spot weld" his tumors with precision radiation. 

Here is another alternative.  Read this, and email Jan Pappas.  Maybe Dr. Schrump has ideas.

Stay the course.

Tom

Thank you so much Tom for that information. I will look into it.Round 2 of chemo next week ; they will add immunotherapy with the chemo drugs.  Then scans at the end of month to see if any treatments worked.. We will see.

Archived