I guess it's my turn

RLG58

My name is Richard. I was diagnosed with SCLC on Dec 21st that was found after my second hospital visit since Aug 10th with a pneumothorax of the left lung, Aug, upper lobe, Dec 11th, lower lobe. Went for a CT scan the 12th in which they found a 3cm mass on the back of my left lung. A biopsy was done on the 19th, I was released on the 20th, had another pneumothorax less than 12 hrs later. Back in the ER the morning of the 21st it was confirmed the mass was small cell lung cancer. They did another CT scan and a bone scan which both came back clear so at least I'm in the "Limited" stage for now. I have my first appt with the Oncologist on Thursday. The reason I joined this forum is for support but honestly it hasn't really registered yet, I just feel kinda numb.

Welcome, Richard.  I'm sorry about your diagnosis but very glad you found us here.  It really does take some time to process the idea of having cancer.  I'm glad to hear you are limited stage and that there's been no spread.  That's encouraging!

I think you will feel a bit better after you've met with the oncologist and have a treatment plan in place.  Waiting for stuff to happen is one of the most difficult, frustrating aspects of this whole deal.  

As you probably know by now, small cell is less common than nsclc.  We do have a few folks here, though, who have small cell.  And lots of people here can share their experiences with various kinds of treatments.  

This is a great forum--lots of info and support to be had.

Thank you LexieCat for the welcome. Yes, the results of the scans are very encouraging and yes, I am aware that it's not as common as nsclc, also that it's more aggressive than nsclc. That has me kind of worried a bit. Again, thanks for the welcome!

Hi, Richard.  Glad you found us. This site has the best members and a lot of great information.  First tip: don't Google statistics. They're outdated and they'll only make you anxious.  Second tip: take a notebook to your appointment so you can note everything the doc says.  You're going to be hit with a lot of new information.  It's the drinking from the fire hose part of this mess.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Hi Richard, 

I'm sorry you've had to go through so much in order to get to this point.  The numb feeling is part of the process, or at least it was for me.  I was diagnosed in September and there are many days where this doesn't feel real to me.  The first oncologist appointment was hard for me to get through and then there was the firehose of testing and waiting, waiting, waiting for the results and treatment plan development.   All is this is part of the process that everyone here has been through.  I'd echo the recommendation to stay off the internet at this point-there's too many rabbit holes that will cause unnecessary angst.    See if your oncologist has a nurse care coordinator.  The nurses are extremely helpful in getting the appointments organized.   One day at a time, one test at a time.  

Michelle 

Richard,

I too am sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I am a daughter of a mother with lung cancer - she has non small cell.  She is on her 1st recurrence of lung cancer, initial diagnosis in 2015.  During my mom's first diagnosis, we were in the dark about what questions to ask and really felt that my mom's oncologist was speaking a foreign language much of the time.  It wasn't until her 2nd diagnosis that I found these forums and the LUNGevity website.  Here I are the checklists I used during my mom's initial appointments to help keep on track with my questions.  These checklists also helped me come up with important questions.  Perhaps they can be helpful for you.   

Take care,

Steff

Hey there. I am waiting for surgery to remove a mid lobe  of right lung. For me getting to this point the worst was the waiting. The best was finding this site. I am given truthful information from people who have been there. I research everything and analyze everything to death. I learn to check the source before I even read it. The U.k. cancer ,U.S. cancer and Canadian Cancer societies and the mayo clinic are good sources I find. I write down dates. Appointments , How each one went like a diary. Questions I have for doctor or things he / she said I did not understand or believe so I check later. Also very very important is to do something not at all cancer related. Something if only for a few minutes takes your mind off it. You got this. Sounds promising.  Be smart be strong and be your best friend. Friends look after friends. Good to meet you friend. 

Hi Susan, Michelle, Steff and Seventhson,

Thank you all for your kind words and support.

I had my first appt. with my oncologist this last Thursday and I must admit, I wasn't in good shape when I left. He too thinks my sclc is in the limited stage but I made the mistake of asking for stats. Everything kind of went downhill from there. I have self esteem issues so naturally the negative aspects jump to the front. It's gonna be rough to get my thought process turned around but I know that's what I have to do.

I have an appt the 21st for a brain MRI and then I start my first round of chemo on the 24th. Kind of anxious about that.

The thing to remember about stats is that they represent AVERAGES.  Which means there are many people on the more positive end of the spectrum, and there's no reason to believe you won't be one of them.  

The other thing about stats is that they speak in terms of five-year survival rates.  Which means they are based on people diagnosed more than five years ago.  There have been many advances in cancer treatment since then.  And more are being made every day.  

I'm not telling you not to be scared--this is scary stuff.  But the outlook isn't all bleak, and there's good reason to have hope.  Your doctor can quote stats but s/he can't see the future or know how you will respond to treatment.  

We've got your back on this!

Hi RLG58,

Here's something to watch about statistics:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH6XuiOBbkc   Stephen Jay Gould survived cancer "contrary to statistics" and he talks about the limitation of statistics- they only give averages, not information about individuals. Another limitation of lung cancer stats specifically is that they are generally 5-year survival stats and so they are at least from people diagnosed 5 years ago and usually MUCH longer ago than that . And lung cancer treatement has improved by leaps and bounds over the past few years. So don't get hung up on statsitcs and discouraged by them. My lung cancer was early stage. I also have survived an unrelated advanced and aggressive cancer with a "dismal prognosis". (my doctor's words). That was in 2011 and I have no evidence of disease today. I gritted my teeth and did my treatment and here I am today! I hope for a similar result for you.

Hi Richard

I did exactly the same thing during my 1st Onc appointment & was a mess for at least a week   I did read the Gould essay & it was a good start. There are many inspiring stories of survivors right here in this forum.  We’re your new friends here to help carry you through the scan-a-mania.

Fear for me comes from the unknown so if you have questions-ask away & keep asking.  Knowledge is power & will help you feel more in control during this topsy turvy time.   I will pray for you to have peace and strength.  

Michelle

Archived