New customer

Sharon k

I have just started on the scary lung cancer road I am going for a bronchoscopy this morning that’s why I’m up so early to have my coffee ️ it’s my helper of the day it helps to hear from others on there path .

Hi Sharon and welcome to the "scary lung cancer road" and especially to our forums. You can find information, support and hope here. Keep us posted and let us know how we can support you.

Bridget O

Hi Sharon. Welcome. This is the place to come to for advice, questions, opinions or just to vent. I’ve only been here a few weeks and I have learned a lot from these fellow survivors. 

Hi Sharon 

I remember vividly waiting the night before my broncosopy & being told the next morning that a biopsy was ordered instead.  Yes it is absolutely nerve wracking & part of the long assessment process.  There will be a number of tests, waiting & more tests. You will get through this.  Let us know what questions you have & someone here will be able to respond.  You’ve found a wonderful group of people.  Welcome. 

Michelle

Hi Sharon k       I found it interesting that you introduced yourself as a "new customer".     I have been a cancer "customer" for nearly six months.  The more questions that I find answers for the less scary the road becomes.  

As a six month customer I would advise you to ask a lot of questions and do not take any answer as verbatim regardless of where the answer comes from.  Do as much research as you can and be skeptical. Check and double check everything.  The cancer industry doesn't necessarily subscribe to the old adage that the "customer" is always right.

Please tell us your experiences.  

Oh my god I can’t believe what that bronchoscopy was like I chocked and coughed the entire time my second nightmare I am so sore and down  they phoned me at home today to say they might not have got a result from test I really can’t see me able to go through that again I thought I was strong xxxxx

I was under the impression they could do bronchoscopy under anesthesia.  Is there some reason they can't do that?  

I'm sorry it was such a bad experience.  I choke easily, too, which is why I even had my dental implant surgery under IV sedation.  

I take it you're still at the diagnosis stage?  Is this to obtain a biopsy?

Yes I had light sedation but I found it very traumatic I was aware of procedure but could not stop coughing even though they done there best to help me I’m hoping that they can find another way? I’m trying to be strong and I am amazed by the strength of the people in this group and look forward to the support and courage yous all seem to have xx

I can not believe how stupid and insensitive I must sound I do not want to frighten anyone it is just such a new world I’m living sorryxx

I think I'd find out, if I were you, whether they could knock you out completely.  You still might have some coughing and soreness afterward, but at least you wouldn't have the trauma of feeling like you're choking/can't breathe.

3 minutes ago, Sharon k said:

I can not believe how stupid and insensitive I must sound I do not want to frighten anyone it is just such a new world I’m living sorryxx

Never apologize for complaining or feeling scared around here!  None of this is a picnic, and even people who have been through a LOT of procedures still get bummed out about some of them.  The important thing is to figure out a way to get through it--and one of the best ways is with the support of people here.  :)

Hi Sharon,

I'm sorry to hear about the hard time you had with the bronchoscopy. I agre with LexieCat.First, don't apologize for how you feel. Many of us had medical procedures or experieces that were pretty traumatic. And  I agree that if you have to do another one,  ask if they can sedate or anesthetize you more fully. Hang in there! and keep us posted.

Sharon,

I'm also very sorry to learn about your bronchoscopy procedure.  I've had six.  Each time, I received general anesthesia and was completely unaware of the procedure.  Perhaps the UK medical system does not use general anesthesia but I don't see how it is possible to endure such a procedure without it.

In diagnosis, I had 2 bronchoscopies.  The first was unable to obtain a suitable biopsy sample.  This first procedure was done with a flexible bronchoscope.  The second was performed with a rigid bronchoscope and obtained a sample that was capable of being biopsied.  Both were performed under general anesthesia.  I hope for two things: your second procedure is performed with general anesthesia and it secures a suitable sample for biopsy.

Stay the course.

Tom

I was told you can only have a sedation for this test in uk I think it was worse as  I already have a persistent cough ,I am waiting for pet scan ,from another hospital so hope eventually to know what’s what .My poor husband is bearing the brunt of my moods and fear of what’s coming but it is a help and relief not to be brave and to talk to people who know the knots in ones insidesxxx

Hi Sharon-

I understand in the U.K. you may not be able to have as much input to your treatment plan as we do here in the USA.  Hopefully you can push for it.  Really advocate for yourself.  If all else fails then an low dose anti-anxiety medicine such as Valium should work (5mg is enough to put you in happy land)  

My broncopsy was cancelled after a second pulmonologist determined they could get a better tissue sample from a biopsy.  So I wonder if that’s another option.  

What you’re going through now is the hardest part.  Scan-A-Mania.  It’s hard to believe this now but over the next few weeks as you gain clarity about the treatment plan, you will have a greater sense of control.  You will get through this & you’re new friends across the pond can help you pull through. 

Michelle 

Archived