How big for biopsy?

Barb1260

Mine was 8mm.  Didn’t light up on a PET scan and couldn’t be biopsied.  I opted for a wedge resection.  Turned out I was in the 6% and had a Right Upper Lobe lobectomy right then and there during the resection.  I’m really hoping better, less invasive, early diagnostic options become available soon.  

Guess I’ll be playing a waiting game for a bit. I’m wondering if it could be scar tissue from the radiation as they shot it through my left lung to get to the right. Hmm

• 2 weeks later...

Barb,

Mine was also 8mm and they couldn't do a CT Guided Needle Biopsy and since is lit up to 2.4 in the PET they decided to do the Open Thoracic Biopsy and then removed it.  In my case it was NSCLC Squamos.  So, I would expect they'll watch it a bit as some doctors don't want to risk a pneumo-thorax situation trying to get cells from such a small nodule.  In my case it had grown from 3 to 8mm in a matter of three months so that motivated them to do the OT Biopsy.  

Lou

I just got the call from my Dr with the results of the CT scan. I'm not sure, because I was panicked hearing I needed a biopsy, but I think he said my single nodule was 1.3x1.5. Does that sound right? He is having a pulmonologist call tomorrow to set up and appt for the biopsy. I'm terrified!

Ginger,

Did the doctor say 1.3mm X 1.5mm or 1.3cm X 1.5cm? Either way you are dealing with a single small nodule.  Most nodules are not cancer.  Here is the Cleveland Clinic's discussion about pulmonary nodules and why they form.  Notice, most are not related to cancer. So do consult with the pulmonologist but don't push the terrified button. Let's wait till we know what we are dealing with. Here is some information on lung biopsies ahead of tomorrow's discussion.

But, you've found the right place for questions about biopsies and nodules and treatments.  Try and relax and....

Stay the course.

Tom

Hearing you have a lung nodule and need a biopsy is terrifying.  I’m sorry you are going through that.  Please remember that the majority of lung nodules are benign (not cancer).  Also know, in the unlikely event it is cancer, that a single malignant (cancerous) lung nodule of that size is curable, often times with just surgery.  Ignore all the scary stuff you read online.   Much of it is dated information based on cancer treatments of five + years ago.  

Tom has provided some really good info for you to digest ahead of your appointment.   

Hang in there and check in when you need some support. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, most nodules are benign but I'm not sure that is true if you already have a lung cancer and nodules are growing. In that case the statistics go up. Is my understanding of this correct?

Archived