My Pet Scan Today

Claudia

Hi Everyone!

I just got back from my 4 month pet scan and now I wait for the results. I have been extremely nervous about this scan. My last scan was very good. Not NED but 85% gone. I was on chemo and Keytruda for the last scan. I was taken off the chemo in May and continued with the Keytruda. I can't help but worry that being off the chemo brought everything back. Although I was very nervous for the scan I actually fell asleep in the machine. LOL I'm may have to wait over the weekend to get the results but I can't change that so I'm going to try to be as positive as I can. Being a yoga teacher you would think I would be able to stay calm using yoga breathing and thoughts. Guess what?  Not so much! I'll update this post as soon as I have the results. Wish me luck!!

Claudia,

I believe that we all experience the same anxiety during our (too numerous) waiting periods with this disease.  Pushing out all kinds of good thoughts and prayers for a good outcome.  

Lou

Hi Everyone! I got the results of the scan and the nodule went from 1.3 cm to 1.1 cm and the SUV went from from 1.4 to 1.3 and the impression was that the nodule was improving. I do have a question about the scan. It said "pattern suggests treated disease with ongoing fibrosis". Does anyone know what this means? I don't see my guy for a week and a half. Thank you.

Claudia

Claudia,

I'll take a stab at what those words mean but be very mindful I'm not a doctor. "Treated disease" could mean the scan shows evidence of your treatment's effect on your nodule. It is a very small nodule but scanning can show a lot of detail in some situations. "Ongoing fibrosis" could mean the nodule is displaying scarring hopefully from the effects of treatment. I construct that meaning from reading about pulmonary fibrosis . This disease results when lung tissue is damaged or scarred.  If you were not diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis and if your doctors have not mentioned that ailment, then perhaps the radiologist is creating an analogy using fibrosis effects visible on your nodule in comparison to earlier scans.  That analogy idea may be reinforced with the words "pattern suggests treated" which could mean an observed effect showing nodule damage progressing from your treatment.  So, I'm betting this is a very good result. I hope it is so.

Stay the course.

Tom

The way I understood it from my Oncologist was that fibrosis is basically scar tissue. The Chemo is killing the cancer cells which leaves scar tissue behind. You tend to get this also from Radiation treatments as well. Radiation fibrosis was mentioned multiple times in my scan results. The radiation was damaging the cancer cells DNA to prevent them from replicating stopping the tumor from growing and those cells eventually died leaving behind scar tissue.  It's actually an expected (and mostly good in moderation) result from the treatments that are working. Dead cancer cells leaving behind scared tissue has be better than live and multiplying cancer cells! I am not a medical professional by any means, but it sounded like a good report to me. Keep it up! Have a good weekend.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your informative response. I did chemo and Keytruda for 4 months and then just Keytruda for 4 more months and now this pet scan. I am thrilled with the results. I must say I was hoping for NED bur maybe next time. I was stage 4 with mets to lymph nodes in my left groin. The last pet said they were clear and this pet didn't even mention them so that's good. I have often wondered why radiation has not been mentioned as part of my treatment. I'll have to ask my guy when I see him on Oct 2. I would like ti to be GONE as we all do. Much love and luck to everyone. 

Archived