Rose Kaiser

I was diagnosed with Stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer in January, 2019.  I had no symptoms until I had blood in some sputum. I went to the doctor the next day and had an ex-ray and that's how it all started.  It had metastasized from my right lung to lymph nodes, a rib, my hip and sacrum by the time I knew anything was wrong.  I began having pain in my sacrum area and received 15 radiation treatments which stopped the pain and chemo has been keeping that pain away.  I had 4 treatments with carboplatin, Keytruda and Alimta then was placed and am currently on Keytruda and Alimta.  I have chemo every 21 days and PET scans every 3 months.  My last scan showed a slight increase in the lung tumor.  My radiation oncologist said I was a good candidate for SBRT (Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy) because I am healthy and there is only one place that had an increase in size and it has not spread to any other major organs. The treatment is 3 doses at least 48 hours in between treatments. It is very aggressive radiation but has had good results in other patients. This is normally used on Stage 1 cancer patients who aren't able to have surgery for some reason. I will post how things are going when I have more news.

Welcome Rose,

I had SBRT to fry a persistent tumor that kept recurring in my left lung. The tumor resisted 12 cycles of combination chemotherapy (Taxol-Carboplatin-Tarceva) but after 3 consecutive 15 minute SBRT sessions, I had a no evidence of disease (NED) scan. I was diagnosed in February 2004 and am alive nearly 16 years after diagnosis. My SBRT did the trick. I hope your treatment is as successful. 

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Rose,

Greetings from your “next state” neighbor in Kansas.  I made several trips to the Capital when I was working.  I was diagnosed Stage IV in September 2018 and a month later the biomarker revealed ALK Positive NSCLC.  I had Mets to the rib, hip & spine.  Similar story in that I had no symptoms until a persistent cough developed over the summer.  No one is looking for lung cancer in healthy people.  
I’m glad you found us, here in this forum you’ll find everyone to be warm and supportive.  Let us know how you’re doing so we can keep you company along the way.  There is no question or topic that is too small and with the combined experience here this group has a lot to offer.  Welcome.

Michelle 

Hi Rose. I had SBRT in September 2018 for a tumor in my lower left lung. I've been NED since so I am definitely a fan of the treatment. I had already had my upper lobe removed and my doc didn't think I was a good candidate for surgery. By the time mine was found, it was in my lymph nodes and thyroid. 

Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Rose,

Welcome to the site and sorry you had to come.  In my case my treatment was a lobectomy so I cannot comment on the SBRT or Chemo.  I just wanted to welcome you and offer any support.  I look forward to your updates and a good outcome for you.

Lou

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rose, I have a quarter size tumor in my left lung next to my heart. I was on carboplatin/alimta/keytruda for 4 treatments and then just alimta/keytruda for 1 treatment. I just had a Pet scan and my tumor isn’t responding as they would like. No growth but active. Tempus is testing my tumor for its dna so they will know what will blast the turd away. My oncologists called Dana-Farber Cancer Institute for a second opinion. 
I wish you the best with your new treatment!!!

Hugs to all of you. Reading that some are many years a survivor really helps me when I get in that dark place. Thank you all!!!

Thanks to all who have replied to my post. I had my 3rd and final SBRT radiation treatment on January 23rd. My radiation oncologist told me not to expect how well (not if) the radiation treatments worked for at least 3 to 6 months. I have been having PET scans every three months while on  Keytruda and Atlimta and expect to have one the last week of February. I will post the findings at that time even though the radiation probably will not have done it's job by then.

I wish I would have found this site when first diagnosed last year. It really helps to hear from those who are going through the same life changing situations. 

Welcome Rose!  Good to hear from you.  You will find this site invaluable for support with lung cancer.  I was diagnosed April 2019 with stage 4 NSCLC with brain mets.  Last year I had treatment with Keytruda every 3 weeks, with some tumor shrinkage, until November 2019 but then the tumor started growing.  In November 2019, I started chemotherapy and this Friday I receive what might be my last course (which would be a total of 4) of carboplatin and Pemetrexed.  We will see what my Tempus results have to say along with the CT scan.  I have been quite fortunate because I have not have many side effects from treatment other than fatigue.  All the best.  You take care now.  Susan Rae

Archived