Oh boy, here we go.....

We were told by our County health department this afternoon that we are all to “shelter in our residences” fancy way to put “you have to stay home” until at least April 7th. Essential businesses, hospitals, grocery stores, gas stations are allowed to remain open. Restaurants can only provide take out. Limited travel, to the grocery store or to care of an elderly relative or driving to work if you work for an essential business is fine. We can take a walk with a friend but must stay 6 feet apart. All of this is effective at midnight in six counties in the San Francisco Bay Area, one of which we live in. This is just bizarre. I and many others I’ve talked to (on the phone) are just stunned by today’s action. I don’t disagree with it by any means. We are at 30 confirmed cases and it’s rising everyday. I understand it’s absolutely necessary but I guess I just couldn’t imagine until today how I would feel if it came down to this. I have reminded myself continually today how lucky I am to have a job where I can work from home, lucky  my Mom lives right up the street from me and lucky hospice is in place for her so she doesn’t have to go out anywhere for anything. But with that said, I have to admit I’m afraid.  I’ve spent the past year since my mom was diagnosed  with stage IV lung cancer being afraid of the unknown and now this. Im just flat out tired of being afraid. I would love to go back and be 16 again, I wasn’t afraid of anything except for maybe having a bad hair day or a zit when I had a date in a day or so. I know this to shall pass. Hope everyone has what they need and are as safe as you can be from this threat.

See...your concern posted earlier was confirmed.

A buddy and I have been telling our drinking buddies for over a month that this was a big deal. China did not lock down 60 million people for the hell of it.

Finally they are starting to get it. 

About time says I

Peace

Tom

Tom, this is the one time I really wish my concerns were unfounded. If your drinking buddies are in the San Francisco Bay Area they’d get it now since all the bars are closed down. Wouldn’t be much fun anyway with social distancing and all. As stunned as I was by the announcement, I wish they would’ve done it weeks ago! Let’s all stay home if at all possible and live to tell about it!

I think we are on our way to that point.  Everything is currently closed except take out and grocery stores.  Something new is shut down daily and the kids are home from school until April 13th.  We are about 30 miles from Chicago but do not have any documented cases in our county yet.  But it might just be because we are just recently getting tests.  I have a friend in Italy and I thought people were over reacting until I started to see her posts and videos on Facebook.  Everyone please stay home and stay safe.

Blossomsmom - I agree with you...I would take zits and bad hair days over fear of the unknown any day!  I have distanced myself from social media because it just feeds my fear and isn't helping.  I really have no words to describe all that I am feeling.  It's too overwhelming to think about next week or next month, so I am trying to focus on today, but it's tough.  Thank you to all who are able to stay home and stay healthy.  

Yep, this is not an easy time for sure! I am grateful t.hat I am financially able to stop working and stay home and that my wife has a job she can do from home. I have a strong concern about those who are in treatment and have to risk going to hospitals,  medical folks who are taking care of those who have coronavirus and also those who are out of work with no pay and no resources to get them through this. Hang in there everybody! We got through (ore are getting through) cancer. We can gt through this.

I am grateful that I can read all of your posts here and know that I am not alone... truly.

I have no family - apart from my soon-to-be 22 y.o. son on the Autism spectrum. Being a single parent of a special needs child has been a joy and a challenge. Being diagnosed with cancer (and worrying about how that impacts/will impact my son) has been a challenge. And now, COVID-19. A truly, frightening challenge for all of us.

It just helps a lot to be able to pop in here to know you are all out there - you offer inspiration. You make me feel less alone. My son has been very practical about all of this and calm. I don't know if that's his Autism or not. I'm a little concerned he's holding a lot of feelings inside (but he assures me he is "fine"). He has said he thinks this pandemic is a clear indication of how we (not just the USA) need to be prepared and how we have misplaced our priorities as a society. He feels hopeful that this will bring about change. He said he just wants us to be as careful as we possibly can because he still needs me... that brought tears to my eyes but made me resolve to be as strong as possible. I think we're just in the beginning stages of this... let's just be here for each other and do what's right.

Archived