Liver Mets

Andrea B.

Hi All,

Well, we went for my mom's CT results today and needless to say we didn't hear what we wanted. The cancer has spread to my mom's liver (I guess I can keep hoping it actually isn't cancer). They found 4 new lesions, the largest measuring 2.5cm. This was absolutely heartbreaking! :cry: My mom has feeling a bit better lately and I thought it would be our turn to hear some good news. Once I get my feet back under me, I know I will be hopeful again but it is hard when we keep getting bad news.

It was also the first time that the doctor put a "time" on how long my mom has.

If anyone can offer me any information (I have read about RFA, but is it something for late stage NSCLC?) or hope I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, my dad's CT scan came back with a suspicious spot, so his results are currently being reviewed by a tumor board.

Blessings to each of you.

Andrea, I am so sorry to hear that the liver lesions are just found. Actually did you mom try other chemo drugs other than those 3 drugs used previously? How about Gemzar, VP-16 and others?

I just think your oncologist should try another chemo drugs that never be used on your mom and I don't believe that there is nothing fit your mom's case.

I hope your oncologist could handle this wisely and hope your mom's liver mets are gone very soon....

My prayers are with you.

Hi Andrea

Sorry to hear that you didn't get good news. I know how hard it is when every doctor's appointment brings more bad stuff into your world!

With regard to the RFA, I have done a bit of research into it. It seems as though many practitioners won't touch the patient if they can't offer a cure, however, there is a doctor in Alabama (I think!?) who has done RFA on bone mets (as a palliative measure), so obviously stage IV patients may still be candidates. His name is Jason Williams, and I found his email address and some info on the website www.cancerablation.com

Hope this helps. Keep thinking positive - you never know when things are going to turn around for you!

Karen

gosh andrea this sucks.

I am sorry, sorrier than I can say. I know what your feeling and where your emotions are. I want to help. tell me how I can help you. I can pray, for what good that does. I can cry with you I can get angry with you. I am sitting next to you on this awful cancer bus ride and I will be your buddy through this. I am still on the bus again too with dad now.

I am so very sorry about the down slide again, but it could just as fast level out or turn up again.

Maybe look into the GVAX trial. It was successful with advanced staged patients after chemo failed.

your mom might have the right type of cancer that the vaccine will work on. It worked very well on about 15% (I think they were all advanced stages)

It is usually autologous (they use a biopsy from the tumor) and then make the vaccine from the irradiated tumor cells.

However, the vaccine can also be made without a tumor sample (I think I remember reading this).

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/N ... 95?order=1

Hi Andrea,

I am sorry to hear this news, but do not give up hope. And please remember, no one knows when our time on Earth is going to end, so please don't start listening to the doctor now about that. I will pray that the doctors will come up with a plan to treat your mom's liver mets and that he will keep you and your family strong in this very stressful time.

Love,

Denise

Andrea,

Don't give up! My father was diagnosed with liver mets back in July. He has been battling NSCLC since December 2001. Various chemos and Iressa were tried. AT the time the liver mets were found he was doing weekly carbo/taxol. He then switched to Cisplatin/CPT-11, weekly, 2 weeks on 1 week off or 2 weeks off, depending on blood counts. Last CT scan in November showed liver mets shrunk by 50%. We looked into RFA, but the dr. we saw wouldn't do it. Too many lesions on the liver and he was more worried about treating the lungs. Also, look into a treatment called radioactive microspheres. It is something like the "seeds" they implant for prostate cancer. They are now doing it on the liver and it has had great success. Do a search on the internet and I wish you the best of luck! Hang in there.

Andrea,

I am so very sorry to hear the news. Please look into the following site to get answers to your questions.

www.cancerablation.com.

I e-mailed Dr. Williams last year when I was doing some research and he responded back to me within an hour!! He was quite supportive.

Hopefully he will be able to guide you about decisions and RFA for your dear mom.

Blessings and prayers for you and your family,

Peg

Andrea,

I am so sorry for all this bad news you have received. Please know that this can still be beat. There is no reason your mom's doctor should have given her a "time". The oncologists gave us a report that said his life expectancy was 9 months. It has been 11 months now, and he is doing fine, strong. In fact, originally he was diagnosed with 4 mets in the liver, he had a biopsy in December and they removed one tumor to test. Two spots couldn't be found, and one was a benign cyst. After this biopsy, technically his liver is met free. Liver mets can be handled. Definitely look into the RFA treatment. I've read where there are doctors who will do it on multiple liver mets. Hang in there and hold onto hope.

I will also be praying hard for your dad that his suspicious spot I will pray that it is nothing more than an infection or something minor.

God Bless you

Carleen

Dear Andrea,

Ive been thinking about you and the scan. But as you can see from the above posts, there are options open to your mom. Youre right, once you digest everything youll be able to look into these things.

Dont let the doctors time limits discourage you. You are a prayerful person, I am too. I will not give up praying. Your mom is on my prayer list.