New to Adenocarcinoma of the lung and new to here

Mblarner

Hi, I am new to this forum and recently diagnosed with Stage 4 adenocarcinoma.  I have been in treatment with Tagrisso for about 6 weeks and finally might be out of the denial stage of diagnosis.  Looking to connect with others for support and guidance.  Any help is appreciated.  

Sincerely, 

Molly

Hi Molly,

As my friend Michelle often says, "welcome to the club nobody wants to be a member of".  I'm glad you found us.  My LC was diagnosed in March of 2019 and I had a lower--right lobectomy on May 2nd of the same year.  In my case it was caught early (a CT scan for kidney stones) so I did not require chemo after the surgery.  But you will find a number of people here that have had chemo, immunotherapy, radiation and surgery as well as all combinations of the four.  So, please know that you'll be hearing from folks with treatments similar to yours soon.  I wanted to welcome you and let you know that we have many survivors here of all stages so please keep your spirits up.  Also, feel free to ask any question you have or share anything you're uncertain about so folks with similar experience can offer you responses.  Stay strong, you're among family here.

Lou

Hi Molly: Welcome to our forum and glad you joined. We are here eager to support you and regardless of our personal experience we are ready to  help any way we can.

I wish you a speedy and long lasting recovery.  

Hi Molly, Welcome to the forum. Like you I was diagnosed with stage 4 NSCLC but mine is Squamous cell. The first few months were a blur of doctors, tests, biopsies and crying. Once I found my oncologist (who I am in love with, I mean I would marry him LOL) and started my treatment I felt better. Not that the treatment was fun but I felt like I was fighting back. That was about a year and a half ago. My cancer responded well to chemo (ugh) and Keytruda and I have been on just Keytruda for about a year. I finished SBRT in March and had a pet scan. My oncologist was very happy with the results and from what I understand I may have a really good scan in a couple of months. There is hope out there. There are many new treatments for lung cancer and the people on this forum are knowledgable and helpful as can be. Try to stop googling. Most of the info online is old and things have changed for the better. Hang in there and try to think positive thoughts. Yoga and meditation has helped me. Give it a try. Maybe it will help you too. Good luck and keep us in the loop. 

Peace, light and great scans to all, Claudia

Molly,

Welcome here!

After six weeks of treatment, you are getting out of "de nile". I'd say that's an accomplishment. (It's a long way from Charlotte to Cairo!).

I've not had Tagrisso but what I've read suggests it is good stuff. The only "guidance" I can offer is that I was diagnosed in February 2004 and have had every form of treatment except immunotherapy. So if I can live, so can you.

Stay the course.

Tom

Hi Molly,

I’m glad you found us and want to welcome you to the group. I also have Stage IV NSCLC with a mutation, ALK +.   I’m taking a pill therapy that’s similar to Tagrisso.   The denial you speak about, yeah we get it.  It takes a while to get through the shock of all of this, although it seems impossible now, there will come a day where you will start to feel like your old self.  I’ve been in this for almost two years and would like to say there are brighter days coming.   

You will find a vibrant EGFR community on Facebook that you might find helpful.  Another useful resource is a book written by long term EGFR survivor Diana Lindsay, “Something More Than Hope”.  It’s a good read.  

Let us know how we can help.

Michelle

Hi Molly,

Welcome to our group!  This is a great bunch to be involved with to get you through the labyrinth of emotions, etc, etc, of a lung cancer diagnosis.  I am Stage IV NSCLC of the adenocarcinoma variety with brain mets, diagnosed April 2019.  It took me some time to "wrap my arms around" my lung cancer diagnosis and learn to live with it; so make sure to give yourself all the time you need to go through the various phases (crying, anger, etc, etc, etc).  Grant yourself the grace.  

This group has been a godsend for me.  They DO know how you feel because usually someone out there has experienced or can totally empathize with how and what you are feeling.  I don't post or log in real often but truly appreciate those that do and all of the wisdom and support they offer.  For myself, there are times, especially when medical appointments aren't on my calendar for 2 to 3 weeks, I don't log in much.  I think it is a way for me to have a little "escape" from the cancer world; when I have a lot of appointments it seems to mentally drag me down. I have been very fortunate to feel quite well, except for some fatigue, since my cancer diagnosis.

This group also has vast medical knowledge to help you navigate the choices for care you might encounter or how to ease some physical side effects and at no charge!

You will find great support here and we welcome you!  

Take care,

Susan

Hi Molly,

Nice to meet you but also sorry that you had the need to join a  LC Support Group.    This is a great one and you'll find a lot of support, encouragement and information here.  I know many who have taken Tagrisso with great long term results and hope you will be one of them.  I don't have any target-able mutations, but did very well with Immunotherpay.  I'm now 5 1/2 years in and very happy to be Stable and off all treatment.   I wish you the very best and look forward to getting to know you better.   We ALL love LUNGevity and feel very fortunate to be part of such an amazing group.  

Take care and best wishes with your treatment.

Archived