Introduction: Rob B.

ROBERT Brown

Hi Robert,

You've come to the right place, but sorry you need to be here.  The folks here share their experiences, hope and strength in regard to this disease.  You'll meet folks of all types with different forms of LC (lung cancer), diagnosis and stories on their way through treatment.  Can you please tell us more about your diagnosis...what stage is it at?  Did you have a biopsy, PET Scan, CT Scan, genetic testing?  Do you have a medical team yet and has a course of treatment been decided.  Please share all you can and do not be afraid to ask any questions you would like answers to.  We're here to help you.

Lou

Hi Robert,

I too was diagnosed with stage 3b lung cancer, squamous NSCLC.  I had a local recurrence and am now stage IV.  I was a 40 plus year smoker and finally quit.  I would not have been able to without the help of BOTH Chantix and the nicotine patch.  My husband also quit this way.  I never thought I would be able to quit even with the diagnosis of lung cancer I still smoked for a few months.  You have to do this for yourself, nobody can make you!  I believe you can do it.  If I could, you can!!  Good luck!!

Babs

Robert

Please give us some more detail. But to answer your question regarding nicotine. I decided when I turned 55 that I would never kick nicotine but I had to quit tobacco. So now I am addicted to nicotine gum going on 5 years.  Best part is if you buy Walmart's generic its cheaper too!

Peace

Tom

I quit smoking in favor of vaping a year before my first lung cancer diagnosis three and a half years ago. I continued to vape--my oncologists still considered me a non-smoker--and it was the ONLY thing that kept me safely away from smoking. I can't stomach the gum/lozenges and the patches never worked for me.

I have read a couple of articles speculating (nothing proven) that nicotine, while not a carcinogen, MIGHT encourage faster tumor growth. I decided I didn't want to take any chances (I'm now Stage IV), so I'm still vaping, but I switched to 0 percent nicotine. I tapered down over the course of time, reducing the amount of nicotine. For me, vaping satisfies the nervous habit without the nicotine. The vapor itself is the same stuff that makes the stage fog they use at concerts, so I feel reasonably sure it's safe. 

Incidentally, as a NJ resident you (like me) are eligible for the COVID vaccine now. Have you signed up?

Babs: I admire your resilience and I congratulate you for quitting. It is not easy but it can be done.  I went through many phases of fighting cigarettes. I smoked for 10 years and I tried to quit every day without succeeding. Finally I decided to be truthful with myself and admitted that I was addicted . Only there and then I understood that I was a slave to nicotine and a prey to tar. I started on Nicorette Gum. At the beginning I chewed the gum till I had sores in my mouth. But little by little I reduced the chewing till I quit completely.  40 years later, I still feel sorry for inflicting smoking on my family, friends and anybody I come in contact with.  I am convinced that smoking contributed greatly to my lung cancer. Please keep it up.

• 2 weeks later...

Smoked for close to fifty years... even writing that makes me queasy. For me what is working is two patches and a blu fake cigarette for emergency cravings and changing my routines. We aren’t weak we are drug addicted! Every minute you don’t smoke is the start of overcoming nicotine. 

Archived