Mrs

Izzy

Hi there, and welcome. I'm sorry about your son's diagnosis. No one wants to deal with lung cancer, obviously, but lung cancer isn't what it used to be. It's serious, but very treatable, and some Stage III cancers are even curable. And even for those who can't be cured, there are terrific new treatments that can result in long-term survival. We have several of those folks here on the forum.

I assume you mean he has lung cancer with lymph node involvement. Do you know exactly what kind of lung cancer (there are a few) he has? What kind of treatment is being proposed? If possible, encourage him to ask that a sample of tissue be sent out for biomarker/genetic testing. That can show whether his cancer has certain mutations that respond to targeted therapy (a pill).

Glad you found us--this is a great place for information and support.

Hi, thank-you so much for your response, yes it’s devastating we are only just trying to process this diagnoses they just said it was inoperable as it was in the lymph nodes in the chest wall and the tumour was on the right upper lobe, they are going to try and shrink the chest problem with chemotherapy and radiotherapy and if successful they will remove the tumor he has to have a PET scan and biopsy 

No we only heard yesterday so still waiting for appointments but I will tell him thanks for your support . 

Izzy, I was diagnosed with Stage IIIB adenocarcinoma in October 2019. My suggestion is for your son to get a bronchoscopy first so the pulmonologist can get a tissue sample for biopsy and biomarker testing. If he has a gene mutation that is treatable with a pill, he might be able to avoid chemo, radiation and surgery altogether. Please let us know how he makes out.

Thanks so much for your response it’s a great help, they are going to do a biopsy and PET scan and have talked to him about bio markers I will let you know what happens 

Hi from me too.  You’ve heard from some of our wise members.  In the beginning receiving this diagnosis is a shock for everyone.   One of the things I learned here is that diagnosis is not prognosis.  Stage IIIb can be treated with curative intent.  It does seem to take forever to get through all the necessary diagnostics, however it’s critical for treatment planning.  One day at a time.  Please ask us anything, there’s nothing too small or insignificant.  We’re here to help. 
Michelle

Many thanks your input is so valuable to us as this is difficult to deal with, thanks  again                                                                
     Isla   

• 4 months later...

Hi, it’s been a long time since I posted but my son has just had his CT scan after finishing some really tough treatment and got his results today. All fantastic news, the cancer in his right lung has substantially shrunk and gone completely from the lymph nodes, he has another scan at the end of April beginning of May. I’m posting this to let you know you must never give up, there is always hope, thanks for all the support you have given him on his posts they have really meant a lot to him and his family snd we are very grateful to you all.     Best wishes to you all Regards Isla 

Hi Lou, yeah it was great news, he is still unsure of how to feel, I’m sure he will feel better but it’s all so early into his disease and it’s hard to come to terms with. Not sure if you know but the Justin you often talk to on the forum is actually my son, very grateful for all your thoughts and advice Cheers Isla 

Hi Izzy, we've been following and supporting Justin throughout his journey and are glad to know about his good progress.

Everyone has their own way of coping and coming to terms with this disease. One longtime survivor in our Facebook support forum says she plays chess with it, and I think that's the right attitude. I just live one day at a time. 

I hope you both continue to be well. 

Archived