CT scan today is not NED

Scruboak

Just got my Ct scan results this afternoon and don’t have an appointment with my surgeon until 6/10. It did not say NED this time. GROAN  “There is redemonstration of changes of left lower lobectomy. A nodular density along one of the distal segmental bronchi in the posterior and inferior portion of the left upper lobe on series 9 image 71 measures approximately 3 x 5 mm in axial dimensions compared to 3 x 4 mm on the prior study.” It looks like the ‘nodular density’ was there in the previous scan and has grown just a little (if at all since 1 mm seems tiny).  I check the forum occasionally but find I become weirdly too focused on recurrence anxiety.  Please give me any encouragement and experience you all have with recurrence symptoms and tiny nodules after being NED for 2 years.IMA is a relatively rare form of adenocarcinoma and there are not a lot of studies out there.  My surgeon told me it has a high rate of recurrence even after complete resection. I had the solitary type IMA not pneumonic type and it was stage I

Oh my, high scanziety! Part of me is thinking 1 mm is within the margin of error that a CT scan interpretation can generate. Then, I checked out IMA adenocarcinoma and confirmed its high recurrence rate. 

But all forms of lung cancer have a high recurrence rate after successful treatment. My suggestion is to message your surgeon's office to have the scan re-read by an other radiologist before your consultation.

Stay the course.

Tom

That’s a really good idea, Tom. I’ll call them tomorrow morning. I can’t believe how angryI feel right now. I could smash something and that is really uncharacteristic.  I carefully scheduled the scan and the surgeon’s appointment close together but the office called and rescheduled doc’s appointment for NEXT week. I know it’s all part of the situation. I’m going down to my studio. It will help. Thank you, dear Tom.

Scruboak,

Tom is spot on.  One millimeter may matter or may not.  Best to have another reading and to also contact your surgeon for direct feedback.  Some have been known to disagree with initial findings.  All digits are crossed for you buddy.

Lou

Thoracic surgeon is gone for the week. I requested that another radiologist check the scan. Was called by the office manager who assured me that Dr. always reviews the scans slice by slice so asking another radiologist would not be as helpful. She also stated that the request would probably go to the same radiologist.  I called off work today and slept a lot after a little hike with Hank (the dog). Moving through the shock and anger. Thank you guys.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. - thoracic surgeon says she’s not worried. I had bronchitis last summer and she thinks the little nodule is just some type of mucus plug. I was to start annual Ct scans but she is moving it back to every six months and this next time will have a contrast Ct. Hoping it will disappear on its own and have decided that if I MUST worry, I’ll give myself 30 minutes of worry time. The remainder of the day has to be spent living.  The truth is, though, it seems as if it’s always in the back of mind. I’m beginning to learn how to live with uncertainty. And, a lot of times  it is pure joy.

Hi 

Goodluck with everything I hope the scans are all good,I think it's better to have scans regularly I'm going to ask my oncologist to scan me sooner, it is hard to not worry I know what you mean, stay strong and positive all the best Take care Justin 

Glad to hear this conclusion.  I recently had Covid and my first annual scan is in August and I'm also concerned that Covid may have created a nodule or two.  We'll see, but I'm glad to hear your news.  

Lou

As Tom said, a mm is not significant. The 4 mm nodule I had on my last scan disappeared on the more recent scan. I don't believe docs get too excited about nodules less than 1 cm because they are too small to be seen on a PET or biopsied. 

I'm glad you took the day off of work. I hope you did smash a few things; anger is a great response. So is sleep. Even better: time outside with Hank. Best of all is the radiologist's comment. So, good. 

Living is awesome. Recently, there have been a few times between scans where I truly don't think about stupid lung cancer. May we have more of those....