please help me

LindaMRG

Dear Friends,

This forum is so timely for me as I mentioned in another post. My father has been under the care of hospice for three weeks. He does take Iressa.

We are praying for a miracle or that the Iressa will work.

He can move his legs, but cant walk or get himself up off the chair. The cancer is not in his bones, though. He is eating but not a lot. He has some seizure like staring sometimes. He doesnt cough, but right lung is shot, left lung doing all the work. His breathing is fine, not labored at all. Why is he so weak that he cant walk?

I tell people that someday I will have to live without my parents, but while he is here and breathing I will continue to pray for a miracle. My sister is supposed to get married this year. My mother will be retiring soon. They deserve time to do things together. They worked and struggled for so many years. Its their turn. I love my father so much. He is my favorite person in the world. I pray constantly. My children adore their "Papa". He taught them to play cards, practices piano with them, studies with them.

Thank you for listening, my heart is so full tonight.

Linda,

I'm sorry to hear your Dad's having these problems. I, too, will pray for the Irressa to work.

I "may" have some info on the leg weakness as that is one of my major symptoms. I was told by one of my doctors when I was first dx'd that, in some people, the cancer produces a hormone that affects the muscles and he suspected, since I was not recieving any chemo or radiation, that is what was happening to me. There is, unfortuntately, not much that can be done about it except to knock out the source, the cancer itself. So, again, here's praying the Irressa does it's thing.

Another thing that might be affecting your Dad's strength is a lack of oxygen reaching the muscles. Even though he's breathing ok with only one lung transfering oxygen to the blood it has to do the job twice as good as "normal". Is your Dad on oxygen? I am ... on a PRN bases ... and find my strength is a lot better indicator of whether I need it than any shortness or labored breathing is. I can start to feel a bit weak and get on the oxygen for awhile and feel much better.

I am sorry you felt the need to call in hospice ... but VERY glad you did. My doctor got me on right away and I'm sure glad he did. These are wonderful, EXPERIENCED folks and have been a wealth of information about what I should and should not be concerned about.

I hope and pray, as I said, for a mirical for you, you're Dad, and your family. And whatever the future holds for you in all this, know that I will be right here for you.

Dean

Dean,

Your post is my last before going to bed tonight and Im sure glad I found it. Thank you for your upbeat attitude and joining me in prayer for our miracle. That makes sense about the oxygen playing a part in the muscle weakness. He is very depressed about not being able to walk. I will defintely be sharing your post with my family tomorrow.

I pray for you by name at night. God Bless you.

Dear Linda,

I dont have any answers for you, however I can offer support and prayers. I know how helpless you feel, its so hard. Your dad sounds like a very special man, will absolutely keep him in my prayers...((((((((LINDA))))))))))))

I too am so sorry that dad isn't doing well. mom had the same problems, she was wheelchair bound or bed bound the last weeks as she had no strength to carry herself. we also didn't know why until I read Deans answer. I pray every day for a miracle for my dad now as well. he has no desire to fight his lung cancer since mom lost her battle with it.

hoping God hears all of our prayers soon.

Dear Linda,

You and your beloved dad are always in my prayers and I am sorry for the heartache you are feeling right now. My mom too was so weak in November and December of last year that we had to lift her out of her chair and help her do the daily tasks. She too was on Iressa at the time. Turns out she had a compression fracture in her back and was just deteriorating. A wonderful doctor filled the fracture in her back with "cement" and it went wonderfully. Unfortunately, she had continued to decline due to some other complications...doctors gave up hope on her. But my mom fought back. It has been a fight, but she has regained strength and is getting around again. She is also back on Iressa. I really can't explain exactly how it happened, but I thank God it did. If you would have asked me back in December whether my mom would be alive now I would have told you no. But it proves that you should never give up hope and count each day as a blessing.

Hugs to you.

Andrea

Hi Linda,

Is your Dad on steroids for his brain mets? A doctor told us that the steroids cause muscle deterioration and makes you loss muscles in your legs and even the muscle in between your thumb and index finger. When he showed us, it made complete sense. Andrea is right...never give up hope!!!

Prayers are being said for you!

Thank you so much, you absolutely wonderful people for lifting my father in prayer at this time. It means more than I can tell you. Yesterday, he slept all day but today he is awake, so I can feel those prayers. Thank you a million times over.

• 4 weeks later...

I am sorry to hear of your Dad, most understand the pain of illness and

loss, my prayer for you and your Dad is one of understanding.

Everyone travells thru life meeting their seperate unique challenges.

Know that your Dad met his head on.

He loved and is loved, always safely tucked up in your heart.

• 2 months later...

Linda

I'm sorry to hear your father is weak, I pray that the Iressa will work.

Does you father have any pain in his shoulder or numbness in the arms.

Because my mother also was very weak in her one leg and one arm(numb) both on the same side. The doctors couldn't figure out why and they thought for a while it was because of the pills she was on Dexasone, Activan and Codein, But later discovered that it was because the cancer had made its way to her spine and worked its way around the vertabrae and was squeezing it so it was interupting the signal to the brain, So definetly get the doctor to take a second or third look because they sometimes miss things they did in my mothers case and once they find the problem they can take care of it because your father will need his strength. Your father sounds like a very strong man, strong enough to beat this never loose hope because when you do so will your father.

Your fathers story seems very simular to mine and with enough hope and enough prayer your father can overcome this obsticle.

Good luck me and my family are praying for you.