About to get real

Had my pre-op appointment yesterday which included EKG and bloodwork. Went over all pre-op instructions which included soap to use that morning and where and where not to use it 🫢. No food after midnight, no water after 4:00 am. I’m ok with those things but no coffee, now that’s the hard one. Got my spirometer to use when I come home. Since it will be my best friend for awhile, I’m thinking of naming it. Maybe that’s what I’ll try to think of when I’m awake at 3 am most nights now. I’ve made a list of things I want to pack and have  my husband bring me after surgery. Anxiety level starting to build. Hoping not to be a total basket case by the 6th. Surgery and the possible outcome is getting way too real. 

Ahhh. The soap! I'd forgotten.

You got this. Just remember that the goal isn't to get released ASAP. Stay till you are ready to go home.

Good luck. Will be here before you know it.

Blossomsmom,

Tom is correct...stay until, you're ready to go home.  Please reread "Thoracic Surgery Tips & Tricks", take your pain meds as prescribed, move when you can, rest when tired, and use the heck out of that spirometer (I'm a simple man and just called my Spiro).  I look forward to the post where you say, "this surgery wasn't as bad as I feared".  My prayers are for your peace going in, successful surgery, and speedy recovery afterward.

Lou

Thank you all for your kind and encouraging posts, I appreciate them all. 
I’ll stay in the hospital as long is absolutely necessary but I’m very fortunate that my daughter is an Emergency Room RN and will be here when I come home. I know she’ll take good care of me and be very vigilant watching for any problems that could arise. And she’ll help keeping her dad calm as well 😊

Sending warm and healing thoughts - for the anxiety now and surgery/post surgery in a couple of weeks.  Any prep you do will help you with the anxiety... gives you a focus on something you can control/manage.....  hang in there - you will do well!

@Blossomsmom For what it's worth, a friend once consoled me through a huge no-sleep period with, "Nobody ever died from lack of sleep." I'm not sure it's true, but it somehow made it easier. Rather than lie there, perhaps you'd consider getting up for warm milk with a little honey and cinnamon. It might not ease you into sleep, but it will be a kindness you might enjoy. Plus, neighborhoods can be so interesting at 3 a.m..... Ask me how I know. You can do this; you will do this, and you will be OK. Sending peace. 

Thank you Karen, I appreciate your kind thoughts and encouragement. Your comment about neighborhoods being interesting at 3 am made me laugh. I have found out recently who walks their dogs at 4 am 😊. I find thinking about our travels over the years helps me go back to sleep. A week from tomorrow I’ll be at the hospital getting prepped for my 8:30 am surgery and will any luck will have some wonderful anti anxiety meds on board 👍