Easter Basket in Grave Danger!!!

MO_Sugar

HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! I had chemo today with my decadron "pre med" and I can't stop eating!!!!!! Always happens on chemo day, lol, but right now we have an easter basket that I am sure weighs in at about 10 pounds sitting on the kitchen table. It's all I can do to not sit down and start in, lol. I have been good so far and only had a couple pieces (yes I know sugar is bad for me) but it looks soooooooooo good!

What do you all do to avoid goodies?? I think cutting out the treats is worse / harder than quitting smoking sometimes!!!

God Bless,

MO

MO

I know how you feel and I'm sorry I don't have any answers. I think I've worn a path in the kitchen floor from having the munchies attacks after quitting smoking. I know it was good for 10 pounds that I didn't need. Decadron didn't help during chemo, and I don't think the tamoxifen and effexor I take for the breast cancer help even a little bit either. Fine during the day but don't get in my way in the evening.....good luck.

Guest daviskathi

Mo,

I myself felt the need for some sort of intervention between me and the Easter basket chocolates. I endedup having to throw all of it away (outside--because I would dig it out of the kitchen trash can if wrapped). Stay strong sister, the addiction is wicked!

Kathi

Mo,

I say a little chocholate is fine while on chemo. I try hard to eat right. but..... I lost a lot of weight while on chemo. So I say don't worry about your weight now, eat what you can when you can. After chemo, concentrate on the diet. There was one point when all I could eat was butter cream frosting! Ha!

Cheryl

Mo,

Sugar feeds the cancer--throw it out or give it away!!!

We've all been trying to help my mom and future MIL by sticking to the same "no sugar" diet that they are on--it's hard--but doable. I've even gotten "no sugar" foods to be served at faculty meetings! Ask those around you for moral support.

I know if it there (esp. chocolate)--I will eat it. So I gave all the Easter candy my students gave me away. That was the only way I knew to manage my cravings.

Good luck.

Melinda

Are we sure that sugar feeds the cancer? When I was on chemo about all that really tasted good to me was a chocolate milkshake....I still get them and my docs know it. I wonder why they wouldn't have told me to stay away from sugar? I am with you Mo......if its there I will eat it.....I just try to limit how much. :lol:

Nina

aka Nushka

Hi MO,

Boy do I know the feeling about eating with the Decadron. I too was getting it as a premed with the chemo. Didn't really realize why I would get hungry on chemo day and afterwards would go for killer lunch. Now I know why. I also am on Decadron because of the brain surgery I just had to reduce the swelling and inflammation. I have been on it prior to surgery too. I have been on it now for a little over a month. My appetite is amazing, you should have seen me in the hospital, it was to the point of embarrassing. :oops: It is now starting to taper off a bit. I went from 143lbs up to what I weigh now 156lbs. :o I have forced myself to cut back on the food. I don't really have that much sweet food craving, just the meat and potatoes thing. I just decided I needed to get in control. I have never weighed this much in my life. Most ever was 145lbs and that was during pregnancy (2X). I say maybe give the candy away or throw it away. I am learing not to buy a lot of sweets for my sake and even my hubby... Prayers for appetite reduction LOL. In my prayers each day!

Blessings & Hugs,

Karen

Well, Mo, you have my sympathy. I can't leave chocolate alone. And food addiction is tough because, well, you can't just quit eating! It's why I run - that's the only reason I'm not a Lane Bryant woman :oops: .

As far as sugar feeding cancer goes...I'm no scientist, maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. I try to keep the sugar level down anyway. But enough cancer pateints suffer from malnutrition to make it a secondary concern when appetite suffers. If milkshakes are the only thing you can eat, go for it.

I do like Splenda for some things...we use Davinci sugar-free syrup for coffee and italian sodas. Aspartame scares me, since it came from Monsanto. BTW, RC diet cola has Splenda, not aspartame.

I've also tried the sugar-free chocolate, and mostly it is very good. It's also self-limiting - eat too much and it's like Ex-lax :shock::shock: .

PERFECT SOLUTION!!

box it up real good, now tape the box real tight, now put it in your car, now drive it to the local post office, now put in BIG RED LETTERS

SHELLY MCNAMARA

TROY, NY

i will deal with this problem first hand for you, believe me I can discipline that bad ol easter basket full of delicious candy for you.

Mo,

Remember it isn't yours, and put it on top of the refrigerator.

Meanwhile, go get a half gallon of your favorite ice cream, and a bag or shershey kisses . THAT you're allowed to nibble at.

Sugar feeds people. All of the food energy breaks down to sugars which fuel the body. Except cardboard, which has no food value.

The better supported nutritionally you are, the faster the bad cells die.

Enjoy the good stuff, Mo, and leave the boy's basket be.

XOXOXOX

MaryAnn

Thanks for all the support folks, lol. I have asked my Dr. about the sugar deal and he tells me to eat what I want, when I want. I guess with sclc they don't think it is going to make THAT much of a difference in the time line of things. I do try and limit the amount of sugar I have. Aspertame give me a killer headache so it is not an option. I drink no sodas, use a very small amount in morning coffee (down to 1 cup), cut desserts or stick to fruit (yeah I know there is sugar there too) BUT I also know if I DON'T eat a goodie once in awhile I WILL sit down and eat a 2# bag of Oreos at some point cause I just can't help myself!!!! So, I guess a Hersey Kiss once in awhile isn't going to kill me huh???

Anyway, thanks for the advice and I will just have to get Kayden to eat his goodies up faster!!

God Bless,

MO

MO,

I made it through Easter okay, but then someone I know came along two days later and brought me one of her creations.... a white and dark chocolate lamb...with a strawberry ribbon and bow around it's little neck, And a little lemon daisy on the bow, and mint flavored "easter grass" at it's little feet, and while we're on the subject of it's little feet...THEY WERE MILK CHOCOLATE!!! The gift tag read "A Little Lamb for Ewe"...it took me about 10 seconds to bite it's little ears off; just long enough to get the thing out of it's pretty cellophane packaging. :shock:

And Shelley....I pity the PostMaster in Troy, New York! There's over a THOUSAND of us out here now, and we all know where you live!!! I think you're safe over this Easter, but HALLOWEEN is only 6 months away, and there is much more candy involved then. :wink:

I don't want any of you to worry about either my postmaster or me handling suck a large task as to "properly dispose" of the evil sugary, gooey, sweet, tempting candy.

I am a professional and you know the old saying, "let a professional handle the job" well it's going to be a tuff job, but I can handle it.

So don't any of you worry, "bob" (my mailman) and I have already had the chat about the number of confectionary boxes he should be delivering soon and he is up to task and will bring the "big" mail truck for the next few weeks. he even has a tractor trailer on reserve if need be.

I am like super man only i tackle candy capers in one episode of "all my children" while wearing my loose fitting sweat pants and tee shirt while he puts on that tight fitting blue number. now I ask ya, where do you hide the kit-kats in that get up???

Mo,

Don't we (cancer patients) suffer enough? Chemo, radiation, tubes hanging out of our sides (or at least mine!). Why not eat what we enjoy? My dr. said the same thing to me, if you like it eat it, especially when you are on chemo.

In fact, I never liked sugar until I was diagnosed with lung cancer! Now, I have to have a little dessert after dinner. (even if it is just a pop-tart!)

Wierd huh?

Enjoy the goodies in moderation, but the main word is ENJOY!

TAnn