Update on my mom...

niececola

Hi,

Thank you all for the well wishes and prayers. Yesterday was very upsetting, as I am sure you all can imagine. My mom spent the weekend in the hospital, going in Saturday morning, after a Friday chemo session, with breathing problems. She got a new CT scan and we found out for sure yesterday that there are several new nodules in both lungs and an increase in a pleural effusion. Not such great news, so any encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

My mom was discharged last night and seems better. What she really needed is a good nap, who ever gets rest in the hospital? We are seeing the onc. on Thursday and she is gearing up for a new chemo treatment. She is in pretty good spirits considering all that has happened in the last couple of days. She had a wonderful week last week with friends and family in from out of town and seems to still be on a high from that, which is a true blessing.

I was so afraid this journey was going to end yesterday. I called my mom from work and she sounded so out of it, it scared me more than anything else. It was such a relief to get to the hospital, seeing her eating lunch and joking with my Dad. I don't know how anyone gets through this really, I just knew coming to work Monday and checking the boards that Mo Sugar would not be with us anymore, and it is so hard to stay positive when such strong and wonderful people are losing the fight. But my mom is still here and I just have to keep telling myself that. It's not over til its over, I am just praying for a good meeting with the onc on Thursday, he better be ready to fight and if he is not, then I already have another one lined up!

Thanks again for being such a wonderful support system for me! You are all in my prayers.

Denise

Guest Phyllis

I am sure there are other chemo treatments that they can try for your mom. I have cancer in both lungs and have had since sometime in 02. I haven't given up yet. I hope things get better.

The last place on earth to get some rest is a hospital. Not only do they come in at all hours of the night for blood pressure, but at least in our experience they come in at four in the morning to empty the trash and just make the patient miserable. In our experience the people were very caring, but they would never let her sleep. So here is hoping for a nice long nap. Come to think of it, I could use one, too.

Curtis

Encouraging news!!! Glad your mom is back home is a safe, caring, calm environment where she can get some needed rest. It sounds as if you have a plan in place and I'll be praying that it be successful. My best to you and your mom.

Denise

I am so sorry to read about the results from your Mum's latest CT scan. It sounds as though she is ready to face this thing head on, and give it all she has got. That is fantastic. I hope the onc. comes up with a good "battle plan" on Thursday. In the meantime, are you looking after yourself as well???? Please make sure you take time to do all the simple things like rest, eat well etc.

Thinking of your Mum and your family. Please let us know what the onc says on Thursday.

With warmest wishes

Jana

xx

Denise,

I'm glad your mom is out of the hospital and can get more rest now -- and glad she had that time last week with family & friends! I hope memories of those times with people she loves will help her feel better for a long time to come. You and she are in my thoughts & prayers,

BeckyCW

Guest Phyllis

There are still a lot of drugs out there to try so don't give up. Your Mom is home and you just have to take it one step at a time. This is an excellent support group that will always be there for you.