Hello to All

flipper66

Hi, my name is Misty. I'm here becuz my Grandfather was just told this morning (6/16) that he has lung cancer and appx 4-5 months to live. He was told with chemo he might have an additional 4-5 months at the most.

I'm at a loss - for words, for emotion, feelings, everything !! I called and talked to him earlier this evening in the hospital and he seemed almost his normal self. It hit me pretty hard when he said he didn't want chemo or anything else...just to live while he could. I know my mind is cool with that - it's his decision and if faced with it myself...I'd say the same thing. My heart, however, is another story.

My mind came home after the call and started looking up everything I could on the net and my heart stopped me - heck, I don't even know any of the details - what kind, how bad (other than that it's in both lungs and is NOT from smoking but from the colon cancer he had two years ago).

If his choice is no grand gestures than what's the point of gathering info ? All I know for sure is I'm not ready to say good bye !! How do I cope - now afraid that the next time the phone rings it could be "that call" ??

I'm 38 but I feel 10 right now.....

Anyway, I just wanted to say Hello...I have a feeling I'm gonna be a regular on here.

Thanks for listening - well ok - reading. Guess I wasn't at such a loss for "words" was I ??

Misty

Hi Misty

Welcome to our little (well, quite big actually) family. I am sorry you had to find us, but glad that you did. I am sorry to read about your Grandpa. It sure is a devastating shock to find out someone you love has advanced cancer.

First thing I wanted to say is that you should disregard the doctor's prognosis. As you will see from other messages on the board, there are people here who have been given just months to live and are here for alot longer than that. Really, the doctors doesn't KNOW how long your Grandpa has. He is just basing it on his knowledge and experience of cancer. But his knowledge and experience of how your Grandpa reacts to cancer is limited, so please don't let that get you too down. Just be thankful for each and every day that you do have with him, and be sure to love him alot. :D

It sounds to me as though your Grandpa's primary cancer isn't actually lung cancer, but that the tumours in the lung are secondaries from the colon. Is that right? There is also another forum on the message board called "The Path Less Travelled", and that is for people who decide not to have any treatment. If that is what your Grandpa is choosing, you might find that to be of some benefit to read.

Please don't be a stranger. You will find much support, wisdom and love here. Come back often, and keep us posted on how you and your Grandpa are doing.

With warmest wishes

Jana

xx

Hi Misty,

This is the place to be for love, support and caring. BTW, there is a ton on information on different treatments etc.

This is a very difficult journey you are beginning, but it is not impossible, it is a journey many have completed successfully.

Come here to question, vent, cry - that's what we are all about.

Hi Misty,

This is the place to be for love, support and caring. BTW, there is a ton on information on different treatments etc.

This is a very difficult journey you are beginning, but it is not impossible, it is a journey many have completed successfully.

Come here to question, vent, cry - that's what we are all about.

Hi Misty - Sorry you have to be here.. but really glad you found this site. You need to find out more details.... Stage etc... and as far as the doctors diagnosis as in "months to live" IGNORE IT... and I personally would seek out another opinion. My father was diagnosed at Stage IV in 2001 and he is still here and kicking - His Oncologist always kept a positive attitude which I believed helped Daddy to fight this disease.

Remember.... we are here for you... Love, Sharon

Misty,

I know all too well where you are right now. My dad was dx'd a few months ago and it feels like yesterday. I like you, began surfing the net right away before I had any details, and wish I hadn't. This is the right place for you to be. When I joined, I had never been a member of a message board of any kind, and was surprised to see how helpfull it is. Keep us informed, and try to keep your spirits up...were here for you...

Jamie

Guest Phyllis

Hi, I am sorry you are going through this, but this is the most understanding group of people you can find. We have all been there and done that. Whether or not someone wants to go through the chemo process is their decision. One thing I have found is that chemo and other therapies are not the same as they used to be. People are amazed that a lot of us carry on very normal lives despite treatment. I am always having to explain to people there are a lot of different treatments available now. Whatever he decides this is a great place to scream and yell.

Hi Misty and WELCOME. I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. He might change his might about treatment at a later time. You never know. Just give him time to process this bombshell that was landed on him. He may decided to go for treatment, or maybe not. Either way, his decision will be the right one for him.

We're here to help you in any way that we can through cyberspace. You will be able to get most of your questions answers, your fears soothed, and we will even make you laugh. It's probably hard to believe that you will laugh, but you will.

Please keep us posted about your grandpa.

God bless you,

Peggy