Nerve Damage

tnmynatt

Has anyone experienced nerve damage from their chemo? I suspect that Charlie may have abdominal nerve damage, which is keeping his stomach/bowels from working properly. Things are not improving very much and they keep taking X-rays and giving him all kinds of laxatives, etc. He is still in a lot of pain.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. He is getting very frustrated and depressed. I will check back later. Take care. I am continuing to pray for you all.

Tina,

I have never heard of this either. Please keep us posted how Charley is doing. How are you and the girls doing? It's got to be grueling to keep going back and forth to the hospital. I hope they are able to get Charley's pain under control immediately, and I also pray that the frustration and depression will disappear.

God bless you,

Peggy

Dear Tina,

Well, (neuropathy) is malfunction of the nerves, which may be caused by chemo. I wonder if this would affect the abdominal nerve? Make sure you check with his doc's and if you find out, would you share the info here with all of us. Unless someone here knows!

Hugs to you and Charlie. Hope he will be back to normal real soon.

Sorry to hear about Charlie being in such pain. I hope they figure out what is happening soon. Impactions happen frequently from pain meds...but I am sure they have checked him for that. If not, I would insist that they do. Take care of yourself as well and try to get some rest.

Nina

Have you tried Senna? It seemed to work much better than some of the other stool softners/laxatives. Also, Steve had a lot of abdominal discomfort that ended up being acid reflux. It was not at all a pain similiar to what we expected when the docs warned about acid reflux. Darn it, I can't remember the name of the medicine he was given for it, but it really did the trick and he even was able to start eating again. Good luck!

Dea Tina,

I have neuropathy, yet to my knowledge do not have cancer. My Sister had breast cancer a year ago and one of the side effects from a treatment they proposed did give the side effect of nerve damage (temporary, or so they said) and neuropathy. She chose not to have that treatment as both my Mother and I have neuropathy and it can be genetic which in my case they believe it is. There are different kinds of neuropathy. Some attack your organs ( mine does not) and others attack the feet and hands, which is what I have. As far as stomach I would definantly ask your DR as there is a possibility. I am praying for your husband and family.

God Bless You all,

Jane

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Some drugs cause a temporary paralysis of the bowel. This of course causes problems. Even though it's temporary, people can end up impacted which is a most unpleasant experience. It's good not only to take something like a fiber laxative but also a stool softener. I think ducolax is the name of one. Well, I know the generic name is docusate sodium. Both of these are needed with some drugs.

Chemo can play havoc with your digestive system. Being a vegetarian, I NEVER had problems until chemo and then I was really miserable. I wasn't aware of the typical OTC drugs for the problem. Now I am.

I am hoping Charlie will be feeling better soon.

Cat

Don't have much time. What he has is called autonomic neuropathy, which is when the nerves in any of your organ areas are damaged. It can happen to your intestines, bladder, heart, etc. In this case, it affected his colon. It is a side-effect from the chemo. that only happens in about 2% of patients.

We think they have finally gotten him on the way to recovery. The nerves seem to be regenerating and his colon seems like it is starting to work. We won't know until after he has another X-ray later this evening. If things are looking better, he will be able to start on a liquid diet tomorrow. He hasn't had anything to eat or drink since last Thursday morning. He is OVER IT!

Thanks for all the prayers and support. I will try to get back on later to catch up some. Take care.