I'm new here :)

SLT

Hi there! I have been reading this board for a few weeks now and thought I should finally introduce myself. I am 32 years old and am the daughter of a wonderful father who has been diagnosed with NSCLC Andecarcinoma, Stage IIIB. This news has come as a terrible shock to our family and there have been many tears shed. Dad was diagnosed in May and has a very large tumor in his left lung and lymph node involvment that has made him inoperable. He just had a brain, lung and lower organ CAT scan and a bone scan and he is clear everywhere else, thank god!! He begins radiation next week. We meet next week with a chemo Oncologist to determine what role chemo may play after his radiation is complete. My father is 72 years old...hasn't smoked in 23 years!! He's in excellent health and looks fantastic...wouldn't know there was a thing wrong with him. He plays golf most days and keeps busy with regular life. They have been giving us timelines that just do not seem possible. I have been researching constantly and I attend all my fathers DR. appointments to make sure the right questions get asked. Dad started taking Essiac tea 3 weeks ago and he takes it three times a day religiously. The oncologist even thought the tea could be helpful! So this is our story thus far...I have decided to join this wonderful community so that I can get the support of people who understand as well as possibly learn more about what treatments are available, etc. I am so determined to help my father beat this or atleast surpass the "timelines" he has been given. I'm thankful he's in such great health and so far has very few symptoms. I look forward to meeting you all. :)

Sherri.

Sherri,

Three words... READ MY PROFILE!!!

We have a very similar situation. The good news is that this day...my dad is stable and cancer free. Feel free to print out my dads profile to show your dad that there is definitly alot of hope for him! If you ever have any questions, please feel free to PM me or post it up. Id love to talk with you!

Good Luck to you and your dad

Jamie

Sherri,

I'm sorry you had to seek us out, but VERY glad you found us. As you read through the posts here you'll see that there are many, MANY folks here who have lived months, and even years, past any "timeline" the doctors gave them.

Besides, there's really only one "timeline" that really counts. That's the 24 hour "timeline" we are given each day. No doctor, no priest or preacher, no friend or relatvie can tell me what tomorrow might bring. What I KNOW for sure is that I am alive TODAY and that is what is important in my life. So what becomes important is how I plan on living today. Tomorrow? Well, I'll figure that one out when I get there! :)

Prayers for you and your father.

Dean

Sherri,

I am so glad you decided to post so that you and your family can be supported and so that we can learn from your experiences. Everyone on this board will tell you to dismiss "timelines" and "statistics" and remember your Dad is an individual. It is a difficult battle, but much easier when it's not being done alone.

Prayers,

Margaret

Sherri,

Welcome to our family! I am one of the newer members, also. I have found so much caring, comfort, and information here. Additionally, I have been given the opportunity to help others based on our experiences and through prayer. Keep the faith and ignore the statistics. Take care.

Welcome Sherri, sorry you had to find us but you will find its a great place to be considering whats happening to your father. Please don't pay attention to stats, your father is not a stat. We all react differently to treatments and there is more hope than not. you will get plenty of support and prayer here. Keep coming back and keep us updated.

Welcome to "the board". This is the most caring community that I have ever found. We all wish we didn't have to be here but we are happy to have each other. I agree with the others...read Jamie's post. We are all individuals..not statistics.

Nina

Sherri,

Wecome to our family. You will find wonderful people going through the same battle as you Dad is.You will also find caregivers that need support as well, as cancer is a whole family issue to deal with.I was blessed to find this site when I did. I had hunted for groups that I could find support, information and just vent if I needed to. It's all here. We all welcome you with open arms, plenty of support and information along with a huge dose of love. Who could ask for anything more except to not have any reason to be here.

God Bless your Dad and his family,

Jane

Thank you ALL so much for the warm welcome!! I have been so busy the past few days with work that I haven't had much opportunity to get back on this site. I apprecriate all of your warm welcomes and look forward to getting to know you better. Jamie, thank you for the hope that your father's story brings. It's so wonderful to hear encouraging stories like that and I will definitely tell my father. I'm sure I will have more questions for you...no doubt! Well, from here I shall move to the NSCLC section and hopefully I'll soon have more time to post and ask questions! Best wishes to everyone. Sherri.