hubby has back pain

char1048

I had to take Rich to the hospital Saturday morning, he has been expi renicing lower back pain on the right side near the kidney area and it got severe enough that he wanted to go to the hospital. They did a spine xray and it didnt show any thing and they did a urine test to check for kidney stone and it came back all clear checked his blood and it was good so they said he could be expirencing muscles spasm and gave him 2 shot of diladude(sp?) and sent him home with prescription for it and a muscle relaxer Flexirile. He started vomiting when we got home thought it was due to not eating and drinking a lot of water at hospital for urine specimin but not so it was due to the pain pill diladude, call doctor he prescribe new on vicadon and he is doing ok on it. He still has a lot of pain doctor at hospital said if he is not any better in 3 days call oncogist and see about a MRI he is also expericing left shoulder pain that goes up the back of the neck to head and left chest area pain. He is not scheduled to see oncolgist until August 23 for new chemo treatment has not had chemo since june7 on chemo break first 4 rounds of chemo did nothing, so I am a little concerned about this new pain. Thanks for listening. Charolette

Charlotte,

I understand your concern. I wouldn't wait to call the oncologist. I would call him/her first thing tomorrow morning. Also, if I were you, I would ask for a PET scan since he has multiple areas of pain. Actually, there is a new combined PET/CT scan you might ask about if it's available in your area. Cancer can't hide from a PET scan, so I would be pushy and ask for one. Cancer frequently does not show up on an x-ray. My husband was just treated with radiation to his left shoulder. The PET scan saw the cancer, but the X-ray didn't. The X-ray DID show the hole, however, where the cancer had eaten through the bone, so there is some adavantage to an X-ray.

Keep us posted,

Love,

Peggy

Guest bean_si (Not Active)

Charlotte, It's Monday - the onc or a partner should be in so be sure you call them. Even if the pain is from something "normal", having your husband see the doc will relieve your mind(s).

Cat

I had a similar thing happen, it was from a nerve in the back (c6-c7) that was under pressure from some of the tissue/scarring in the surgical area. I was prescribed Neurontin to add to my other arsenal of pain meds.

Good luck, and Call the doctor!

XOXOXOXOX

Prayers always,

MaryAnn

Hi Charlotte,

By any chance did you happen to call the Doc today??? I hope you can find a little smile regarding my silly comment. :) I just wanted to say, I hope that Rich is feeling better real soon. And as everyone has said, don't wait, call the Doc. They have answering services 24/7. When in doubt, call the DOC! That's my motto!

Keep us posted on how you and Rich are doing.

Good luck and God Bless.

No Rich absolutly would not let me call said if he is not better by wedn sday than I can call. He was a little mean and crabby today and he is not walking good he stumbles and almost falls , but still wouldnt let me call. I think his mood could be due to the vicodan. He said he is still having a lot of pain and that is why he is walking like he is but I dont know about that! I will just have to wait to see how he is between now and wednesday. Thanks all of you for your kind and helpful words. God Bless You all Charolette

Charlotte,

Your man sounds about as bullheaded as mine. As you know, there's not much you can do except sit back and let him take the lead. Believe me, I know how frustrating that can be. I don't know about you, but I'm also expected to keep my mouth shut about it when HE HAS SPOKEN! LOLOL. And guess what, that's exactly what I do. :roll: What was that Cheryl said today about a short fused person living with a long fused person. I haven't posted there yet, but I can identify.

Keep us posted.

Love,

Peggy

You can count me in the "Bull Headed Husband club," however I am beginning to take the reins a bit more now. Today for instance I insisted I call the onc because I suspected Dave had infection caused by "Taxotere". He didn't want me to phone, and now he is furious that he has to see a podietrist, however he seems relieved of the worry and pleased that he is getting antibiotic for his poor toes.

If I were you Charlotte, I would just go ahead and phone, the quicker your husband finds out what this is, the better for you both.!

Good Luck to you.

Paddy

Charlotte,

I think that it is important for him to see his doctor. Even more important than taking care of the pain is the fact that if he has a spine tumor it could lead to paralysis if it starts to put pressue on the cord/nerves. You mentioned that he was having some problems walking. The problem walking could indeed be from pain, but it could also be from weakness. Sometimes it is very difficult to tell. The test of choice to rule this out is MRI of the total spine. Bone scan may help with the shoulder. Again, the most important issue is the possibility of cord damage leading to permanent paralysis.

Keep in mind that the job of an ER doc is to make sure there is not an emergent situation at the time of visit.

Remember, my advice is only based on your email. It is not even close to an evaluation. So, if his oncologist does not want to get the suggested tests, he may not suspect anything based on his thorough eval.

Robert Woodburn M.D.