I'm back with lots of updates

Jane4321

Hey everyone, I doubt you all remember me I didn't get to post much before things went a bit crazy for me... I was having horrible back pain and what they thought was shingles... Well finally the back pain was totally uncontrolable from any pain killer and my oncologist admitted me into the hospital to do an emergency MRI which revealed I had cancer in my spine that had eaten away one of my vertebraes and my spinal chord was being squished flat, the neuro surgeon told me I was one lucky gal not to be paralyzed from the chest down(basically my back was broken), they did back surgery taking one of my ribs out and fixing me up with a new vertebrae which is healing up just fine but while I was there they found more cancer in my hip and head area :( so I had radiation in those areas and started a new chemo treatment cisplatin I believe.. I will have to look to see what chemo for sure.. Now all my hair has fallen out :( I know bummer but I'm sure it will grow back and will be worth it in the end. I ended up fracturing my hip and had to have a rod and screw put in recently as well, it got fragile from the radiation and I fell, I'm not sure the back brace they had me wearing was of no help either since it sat on my hip and hurt like crazy. But I am healing up just fine, no more back brace now just physical therapy to strengthen my back up again and I got the bandage and staples out of hip just recently woohoo no more sponge baths! Still having to walk with walker and cane until my knees get stronger, dern wobbly things :) but I have exercises that are suppose to help that.... Well that is my update, hope you all are doing fine I have yet to read through many posts as I have a chemo appt. this morning but I will be back! :) Until then as I said take care and see you all soon!

Jane

Hi Jane

I must say you have been put thru the "ringer"...AND to have gone through all of that and come back with such a wonderful, optimistic attitude about it all. I commend you. I can tell from your words that you have a great deal of faith, even in all this mess they call Cancer. I think sometimes our attitude is even a greater benifit to us than medicine.

Hope you continue to heal quickly and the chemo goes good

God Bless

Kim

Welcome back Jane. Thanks so much for bringing us up to speed. I can't believe all you have been through! Like others, I am so impressed with your upbeat mood! I know some people that are perfectly healthy and run around in crappy moods most of the time! They should meet you and see what life is all about!!!!

Thank you all for the get well wishes and good advice about not breaking anymore bones! :D I hope you all are doing well. Cindy I notice you say you have been in remission a year now? I wondered if you had quit smoking to reach this point? I quit when I had the back surgery I didn't really have much of a choice I was in the hospital bed for almost 3 weeks and had pretty much quit but then when my husband would go to smoke I would ask him if I could light it for him just to test myself... I didn't really like the taste... and it didn't really bother me when he smoked in front of me... and didn't really care for the smell.. but still I would just every now and then crave one even though I knew it tasted and smelled bad.... well I guess I tested myself too much cause now I'm back at it again I know I need to quit and it would help me along a lot more I'm going to try to quit again wish me luck on this! :? I'm going to need it lol it's a bit different when you have no choice to smoke as to I can here.

Jane