Bumps in the Path.

DeanCarl

I was walking quite comfortably along this path less travelled when suddenly the path turned upward at a steep angle and what had been smooth soft grass changed to rocky ground. Being the macho egotist that I am I forged ahead regardless and soon found myself with twisted ankles, bruised and battered skin from falling on the rocks and completely exhausted even tho I'd only travelled a short way. Discouraged, I found a large rock and sat there dejected and confused. This was, after all, my choosen path. Choosen because I had thought, for me, it would be the better of the choices I had. Now I wasn't too sure.

After a few minutes there was a movment to my right. A small green gecko lizard had hopped up on the warm rock. He seemed quite interested in a line of ants just below him and soon was enjoying his miday meal.

I then heard some chirping in the trees beside this path. Turned out a family of song birds were squabbiling over some seeds from the trees. I'm not sure how any of them had time to eat because as soon as one of them landed to grab a seed three others would come hollering after him and chase him off. The scene brought the first smile to my face in quite a long time.

Suddenly the gecko disapeared and the birds became very quiet. I looked around to see what was happening but saw nothing until I looked up. There, criss crossing the sky was the biggest red tail hawk I'd ever seen. I sat and marveled at his majestic command of the air, moving back and forth, up and down, without ever seeming to move his wings. Suddenly he dropped from the sky in an almost vertical dive to the ground. I couldn't see him for a bit as he was behind the trees, but in a moment he flew up with what looked like some small animal in his talons.

And as I sat there on that path less travelled and day turned to night I realized that no matter how rough the road benieth my feet may be there is wonder all around me if I just stop for a moment, lift my eyes from the rocks, and LOOK.

Dean

I enjoyed reading your post. Very picturesque. It made me curious to check your profile, and I see you are a bus driver. Are you still able to drive? My hubbie is a substitute school bus driver and is hoping to be able to work at it again soon. My best to you.

((((((Thank you Dean Carl))))) Just when I was having a down day, I read your post, and thought about the awesome beauty of nature you described, and how it turned the bumps in the road, into fairly smooth grass again for you. Suddenly, the reasons for my down day, seemed so insignificant. As usual, you have once again given me your amazing gift of inspiration, and perspective.

Peace and blessings,

Annjael

Thank you Dean. Once again your wisdom and vision have come to inspire us. I have learned first hand what you can see if you only take the time. Maybe sometimes the rough spots on our road of life come so we have to slow down and look around. We tend to forget what beauty surrunds us. We take so much for granted then one day something happens in our lives that makes us stop and see the things that we have been missing. You as always find the words to lift us up and make us stop and look around and really see what is there.

I wish you many days of smooth travel down that road you have chosen. I also hope that no matter how rough it gets at times that you will always see something to make the trip worthwhile. God bless you and keep your eye and heart as seeing as they are. Lillian

I've always believed that every cloud has a silver lining...but you have such a beautiful way of expressing that in your own terms, Dean. Thank you. It's so good to hear from you. I hope you know how much your wise words and perspective are missed around here when you are "quiet".

Thinking of you.....

I still have your poem that I read when I first came on this board. Think I will add this to it. Both of my (college age) children have a strong leaning to writing. I'm going to suggest they read yours. Thank you.

MJB