baseball

kimblanchard

Ok, this is totally unrelated to anything, but has there ever been a better week of baseball in the history of the universe? Take your favorite team out of the discussion, and come up with a better week. I double dog dare you.

I have been absolutely riveted to my chair watching hour after hour of baseball. What a great week.

Who is going to win tonight? And tomorrow? I like the Astros and the Yankees simply because their pitching seems better set up for game seven. And the Yankees always win these kinds of games. Some random player will hit a homerun late in the game and win it. My money is on Tony Clark.

And you old-timers can have your Willis Reed, but he scored four points in game 7 back in the day. What Schilling did last night on a bleeding ankle was ridiculous. But Mussina and Foulke have been the two best pitchers in the series. Mussina again demonstrating that he is as clutch as anyone in the last ten years on the mound. He should have beaten both Schilling and Pedro in this series.

Okay, the game is about to start. Catch you in a few hours.

Curtis

Curtis--I totally agree. Now the Yankees are behind 6-0, but I still think they'll pull it out. I think it's gonna be the Cards for the NL, but on the other hand, Roger Clemens starts tomorrow. HMMMMMMMM, it is good and obviously the two best teams from each league are playing each other.....can't wait to see how it all comes out.

Cindy

Truthfully dont really care who wins since the Rangers cant seem to make the playoffs and when they do the Yankees knock them out in the 1st round each time. So If I had to cheer for any team its anyone that puts the Yankees out. Then the Astros. Dont want to offend anyone in NY with my cheers, so I thought I would explain.

Rick

GO YANKEES! They are getting slaughtered as Denise said, but I hope they come back.

I personall HATE Boston for the simple fact that their fans were DISGUSTING, RUDE, and OBNOXIOUS at the Angels playoff game this year.

Police were everywhere breaking up fights, it was insane. And the arrogance, ick.

Now Brian (my husband) said Yankee fans are no better. But that is fine with me b/c I am a New Yorker, duh ;) Well former NYer but same thing. Once a NYer, always a NYer :)

No explanations needed Rick! :D But I totally agree with Andrea, the Boston fans are harsh and rude. Although the Yankee fans throwing baseballs on the field last night was not very cool. I hate to see what is going to happen in the Bronx tonight when the Yankees lose, yes, you heard me right, I have given up hope at this point... :cry:

I came to the board to escape the horror that I am seeing on my TV screen right now. I am beside myself--I had so fervently hoped I would never see the day in my lifetime when... :(:evil::( This is the ONE thing in sports that I really care about.

I am hoping for a miracle for my dear Yankees--as are all other faithful fans.

Go figure. All these baseball fans right here on the LC message board. It's great. I agree with Curtis on one point -- fantastic b-ball lately. Too bad about the high priced Yankees, eh Melinda (thanks for the card by the way). I think the Red Sox will be playing St. Louis, and I also think the Cardinals will take it all. But that's just my little ole opinion way up here on the west coast. Play ball!!

David P.

I for one was stunned by the result of the game tonight.

I have mixed feelings about the ALCS. I have always hated the Yankees; well, at least since 1976. But they have Mussina, who is my favorite non-Royal of all time. And at least he beat Schilling and should have beaten Pedro in the same series. I would like to see him get a title; maybe they should trade him so I could root for him without the mixed feelings.

And I am so sick of Red Sox fans. The reason they haven't won a series in 85 is sheer mediocrity. Yes, they have been close a few times, but the Mets had already tied game six before Buckner screwed up, and the Cardinals were simply better in 46 and so on. The only luck in 75 was that Fisk's ball stayed fair to force the game 7. So shut up already. Most of the rest of the time, the team was poor to average. They haven't had the best team in 85 years, so why should they moan about not winning the world series in that long.

But as bad as the Sox fans' whining is, can you imagine how intolerable it would be should they win? Sox fans aren't psychotic because the Red Sox haven't won. They are just psychotic. And the psychosis won't go away, it will just be placed on something else, and potentially more important than baseball. Nope, it is simply too dangerous to cheer for the Red Sox. I prefer the National League anyway. Unless the Royals are involved of course.

If the Astros win, it will mark the first time in history the teams in the world series come from the states of the presidential candidates. (What is sad is that I didn't have to look it up; I just went through the world series match-up and the presidential match-up, and knew enough of both from each year to eliminate the possibility.) Could the world series be a leading indicator of who will win the election? If so, I must change my allegience. Or at least cheer for the Cardinals tomorrow so as to avoid the karma in the first place.

Now I am rambling, so I am headed to bed.

Curtis

I am sorry if I offend any one but my roots are in Boston! Yippee! I know my Dad who is in heaven is watching and cheering! A Boston Red Sox fan is ever faithful, but boy it paid off last night. I hope they go all the way! Go Red Sox! Donna G

I am a shell-shocked Yankee fan this morning, but I do believe that baseball had it's four best matched teams playing for the league championship series this year......as a die hard American League fan (I am a Chicago White Sox fan during the regular season, and switch to the Yankees when playoff time comes and the Sox are out of contention) I will be cheering for Boston to win the World Series.

Till the bitter end I thought the Yankees would pull out a miracle...they've done it many times before, but not this year.

Watched last night after hubby went to bed, so only saw from 5th inning on, he's not a sports fan. What a game! Still don't understand why they took Lowe out! I have to go with the Cards tonight, Scott Rolen from Jasper, IN where I work and Indiana doesn't have a major league team. I hope them make it! I had to rrot for Boston last night, to come back from that many games down! WOW! We should use this as inspiration, from adversitiy comes hope, and with hope and percerverience(sp) we sucseed! Happy viewing tonight! :D

I have been neglecting my studies this week because I have been glued to the television watching baseball. My husband only got to watch the first couple of innings of last nights game then he had to go because he has to leave on a trip overseas. I called him during his pre-mission briefing and left him an message that Boston won. Apparently there is some sort of tradition that if your cell phone rings or beeps during a pre-mission briefing you have to buy a round of beer (apparently I wasn't aware of this). So he owes one round for the initial call and another for the beep alerting him he had a message! He said it was worth it...Go Boston!!!

kitkathi