Checking in.

Sam'swifeShirley

Well, I'm recovering from my node removal/biopsy, no big deal there. The pathology confirmed large cell neuroendocrine tumor, presumed from lung. Yesterday we started carboplatin/docetaxel (Taxotere) on a once every three weeks schedule. Dr Carr says that I did so well with chemo before (I'm a pro now) that we'll be agressive and shoot for up to six cycles if I can tolerate it. Agressive, yes! Also we're going to go ahead and get Neulasta (sort of a long acting Neupogen) today in anticipation of low WBC. Proactive, yes!

We're still aiming for long term survival here. High odds, yes but not impossible. Right now, at least based on my three month ago brain MRI, my three week ago PET, my two week ago CT and my surgical excision of the hot node, I should be cancer free right now and I plan to stay that way.

Well Sam, as they say, "let the games begin". But old sport that you are the chemo should work fine. I kinda feel in your boat. I try to work awaile and do, then bam, something else. Still fighting radiation head, back on steriods. I can dance all by myself, backward, forward, sideways. Plus am losing cognitive skills. Not good. I guess our mantra is "1 step forward, 1 step back, 3 steps forward.

Seriously, good luck and many prayers your way.

hay Sam, my Chemo brother,

I have one problem, Why do you think aiming for long term survival is "High odds" I hope you mean for not against. It sound like your doing great to me. You gotta know your gonna be a long term survivor buddy so the rest of can say "look at Sam, he beat cancer so can I"

Your Brother Ray

Sam shoot for the stars, aim high, you did it once, I am sure you can do it again. I think the Doctor in you is talking, I think you have to forget the statistics, thats all they are are statistics. Seriously will be praying for you my friend, hang in there once more. This disease is a long and bumpy ride as I am finding out myself. Its not over till its over and the fat lady sings, and shes not singing yet. (She has a lousy voice anyway!)

Bess B

I understand proactive very well! And, I am so glad for all of your good news. It certainly has made my Friday a lot better. I get scanned again Monday and, as everyone else, am starting to get the jitters. I won't know the outcome until Jul 10. Meanwhile, If you don't mind I'll just bask in your great glow from the good news.

Good Luck and God Bless