First Time Here

grammie

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I'm taking IRESSA (since 12/17/04). So far, so good. I'm just wondering if anyone on IRESSA is experiencing extremely dry skin especially on their face. I've done everything I can think of to solve the problem to no avail.

I will be coming back here often. From the other posts I've read, everyone is very supportive. Good Luck to all!!

Welcome Denise~

My husband is also on Iressa and the dry skin is just horrible isn't it? There are lots of moisturizers you can use. He uses St. Ives Whipped Silk. If you search you will find some posts with recommendations for others (Eucerin was one someone else uses). Our oncologist also recommended taking B-Complex vitamins and they help stop the skin splits in the hands.

I hope the Iressa works it's magic for you~

Rochelle

Hi Denise,

A big, big welcome to you! You will find lots of people here who are going through the exact things you are. It takes courage to fight this beast and it looks like you have got some history filled with courage!

We are all in this one together.. I am not on the drug, so I don't have the side effects, but some of our members are on it and have experiences that they will be willing to share.

They will be on in a little bit to give you their spin on things.

Cindi o'h

Hi Denise-

Welcome. I am taking Tarceva and from what I have heard Tarceva and Iressa have alot of similar side affects. I also have dry skin, seems you could put lotion on 15 times a day and it wouldn't do any good!

I use a thick cortisone cream, it's thinker then vasoline, it seems to help with the dry skin along with moisturizer.

Good luck

Hi Denise, and a big welcome, so sorry you have to visit our site, but glad you found us. I do not have any info on IRESSA, but others here report rashes and dry skin. Your DX is 3b, like mine. I wish you well. Your bio does indicate you have certainly been through alot, and are quite a fighter, I assume. This place is a great source of.. refuel.... a place to let go... and knowledge. Wishing you well....

Hi Denise and WELCOME!

My husband has been stable on Iressa since June, so we have a lot of confidence in the product. He has had very few side effects - a little bit of dry skin and rash, and mild diarrhea. Other than that, he is tolerating it very well. It seems to affect everybody in different ways.

I'm so glad you found our site. Please stick around and post often. We would really enjoy talking to you and getting regular updates.

God bless you,

Peggy

Hi Denise.

Things I've tried on my dried out face (from radiation) -- Aquaphor which is really good to get some moisture in the skin, but didn't help the itch. If the skin is dry and itchy, I'd recommend you try A&D ointment. (It's used for diaper rash, so you'll find it in the baby section!) It immediately stopped the burning/itchy feeing. There is also a product that is a vitamin E oil that you can get from most hairdressers. They sometimes use it on dry hair, but it's great on skin too. It's expensive, but only takes a tiny bit to cover a lot of skin, and the results with me were immediate.

Good luck!

Di

I too have had the dry skin problems with Iressa. I think I have tried about 50 different products to help with the itching/dry skin from the drug. I found that neutrogenia T Gel shampoo and conditioner helped with the scalp "pins/needles" that I felt. It is a product for dandruff, psoriasis and dermatitis and helped me.

The most helpful moisturizers I found was Bath and Body's shea butter products, udder cream and just tried Oil of Olay's body quencher lotion that feels great too.

I think alot of it is trial and error depending on your personal skin. Good luck finding the right product for you. My own recommendation is to be patient, it does get better!

Best wishes,

Wendy

Just wanted to thank all of you for your information. I tried the Aquaphor first and it worked wonders. I really appreciate all the kindness you have shown. This site is truly amazing.

I have an appointment with my oncologist tomorrow and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will have good news. Thanks again. :wink: