SHADOW ON XRAY

enyaw061032

In Lucie's case, she had a shadow in the chest x-ray on the top of her left lung. It could have been cancer, or scar tissue, or something else. Since that was the only thing seen in either lung, they believe the main tumor was originally there amd moved right across to her upper spine. This shadow has remained constant and never grown, so it is not thought to be cancer. Don

Hi Barb: as understand it, a shadow in an xray can be caused by an unknown tissue mass. It could be caused by a loop of bowell or a calcium density, scar tissue, or a nodule. Sometimes overlapping shadows from tissue densities can look like a spot on the xray. Much of the time it turns out to be nothing. A ct scan can establish if it is just a shadow or not.

As folks said, many cause shadow in lung. My brother had it before and disappear after a while, my mom has many tiny spots in her lung as she had the infection long time ago which they are scars....so don't be panick at this moment and CT can make the picture more clearer. :)

Barb,

A CT scan will not "show cancer". It will show more of what the "shadow" was. It will rule out some things, but a biopsy is usually needed to "rule in" cancer....well, a biopsy or just watching to see if the unknown thing grows and by how much...

I hope your cloud is nothing....

Becky

I wanted to let everybody know we got the report about t the SHADOW on my husban's x-ray which resulted in his having a cat scan and the doctor said it was "inconclusive, and a "density." So we still don't really know anything. The doctor said he would do the cat scan again in 3 months. Anybody shed any light on what this means?

Thanks

Barb

Hi Barb. They don't really know what it is for sure, but there is something there. It is either scar tissue or it could be a nodule. The size of it could be importnat. If it is less than 8 mm, I think they would probabaly monitor it to see if it grows. If it is around 12 mm they could do a PET scan to see if it has increased metabolism, and indicator of malignacy (infection too). In my case, I had a 9mm something in August 2004. In Jan 2005 it grew to 12 mm and was big enough to do a PET scan. A CT scan a few weeks ago more positively identified it as a nodule and the PET scan showed uptake. So, if it is still small, wait and see should be ok.