Peter Jennings of ABC has been diagnosed with LC

niececola

I am so saddened by this news. I wish we knew more of his condition too -- but the fact that he has been feeling "ill for the past several months" probably means it is not early stage, unfortunately.

Ironically, when Dan Rather stepped down, and then I heard Ted Koppel was retiring, I said to my husband (just last week) that it seemed like the end of an era. Dan, Ted and Peter have been reporting the nightly news my entire adult life. They are the only nightly anchors I really remember. I said that with Dan and Ted gone, Peter was my last shot at getting the news from a respectable journalist and that nothing had better happen to him! I certainly didn't see this coming (as I'm sure he didn't either).

This is terrible for him. I hate to say it. But, it is good for our public awareness efforts

Tina -- don't feel bad -- as much as I hate to admit it, I had that same thought in the back of my mind.

I wouldn't assume it's late stage because he's starting chemo soon. they may have been testing him and working on his diagnoses for some time, and keeping it quiet, appropriately so. Also, Dave was first diagnosed with LIMITED SCLC and they started chemo on him while he was still in the hospital, within just a couple of days, literally, of diagnoses. I suppose once it's clear what needs to be done often it just gets started.

I'm going to post him some well wishes and mention the site as well. But mostly because I think he mentioned something about trying to deal with this or looking for support.

I really hate to hear of anyone being diagnosed with any cancer.

Karen

I hate to hear that someone else was dx with this shi##y disease but, thank goodness it's someone well known and in the public eye.....let's get some attention out there and some reseach done and get us all cured!

I know I'm being greedy but Peter Jennings is a lot better then Gerald McRainey and Ernest!

I was just in my car when they announced on it, like a news break, "This just in Peter Jennings of ABC news has been diagnosed with lung cancer. He is to start chemo immediatly." that was it. I expected them to say he had died suddenly the way they did it, but then they said he had lung cancer and it just made me so sad. Then I thought of what a great bunch of people are here, and thought the same thing-if he wanted to come here, if he wanted to take on a role as a lung cancer advocate (like Katie Couric did for prostate cancer after her husband was diagnosed and sadly, subsequently died).

I just hope that he knows how much support is out there-even with the fame and money thing, lets face it, lung cancer is not the type of thing that many people can relate to-and being able to relate is so important when you're dealing with illness.

My thoughts and prayers go out to him, and the others who are out there and were diagnosed, too....You are not alone. Take care, Deb

Hey, Deb, Katie's husband had colon cancer. I remember this vividly, because not long before he was diagnosed, he was a partner in the NY office of the law firm I worked for. He left there to be a consultant to NBC news (legal analyst).

Prostate or colon, either one seems to strike older folks more than folks in their '40's. It was a real tragedy.

I'm surprised more people in the spotlight haven't gotten LC. Really interesting to see where he goes with this. Of course, he may be like many of us, so consumed with fighting and trying to keep our lives afloat, not enough time for advocacy.

Karen

I just hope that he is doing the research into the latest treatments, etc. Celebrity does not insure your doctors are current on the latest treatments, etc. It doesn't mean that your medical providers are open to new ideas about treatment/survival either.

I did email him at ABC World News Tonight...and I told him a little about this site in the context of looking here for information that will help HIM through his own course of treatment. Perhaps later, when he is stronger and less ill, he may want to look into Lung Cancer Advocacy. Until then, he's a human being-just like we are-who has been ill for a time, and has just received a devastating blow. All I want to do is try to give the guy the same support we give everyone else who comes here.

I just feel bad for him. And I sure hope he responds well to what ever treatment they have planned for him.

I was saddened to hear about him. I hope he takes some time to think it all over, as we all did, select a good doctor and start treatment right away. I hope he visits with us because I believe we have the greatest group of support on the internet. He'll learn alot about lung cancer and humanity. Prayers for him.

Joanie

I watched Paula Zahn talk about it, and if she mentioned smoker one more time . . . She lost a point with me.

She did refer to the "tobacco lobbyists" not being happy with the smoking issue. . . She got a point back.

She did mention 82% of all lung cancers are smoking related.

My husband, bless his heart, could not watch the reports. He left the room.

Does anyone else feel like we just came out of the closet?

What I will do, is when anyone mentions Peter Jennings and smoking, is move the conversation away from that immediately.

I only wish him the very, very best.

gail

I hope he comes out and tells his whole story. I sent him a message sadly welcoming him to the lc survivors and invited him to visit our site and tell his story. Hope he does and I think he will speak out about it. He just seems like the type. He mentioned on his little blurb at the end of the broadcast that he hoped to learn from the survivors and was really overwhelmed by the response he was getting. There were literally thousands of posts on the site. I saw quite a few of you guys from this site on there. Was really proud to be a member. Take Care and God Bless.

CharlieD

My Sincere prayers are with Mr. Jennings. I pray his condition is treatable, and I pray that he knows the Lord (or comes to know Him) and that he derives strength from Him ... and that he helps move people to action to cure this disease.

Joe

This truly does seem like the end of an era. I wish him the best of luck. Wouldn't it be something tho if he would find this site and read some of the stories here? No one could be in a better position to help to get the word out about some of the issues that concern all of us here.

Breaking that stigma and getting more research into other causes and more treatment options could well get attention if he would mention those things. Maybe when he is better able and past the initial shock he will do a program about lc. That would be something that has been needed for a long time. That is if he would cover all of the issues not just the smoking connection.

Well, when I heard that Peter Jennings was diagnosed with lung cancer, I gave an outloud..."oh no".. it is like a family member was diagnosed with lc. Funny how those people who report the news become so familiar that they seem somehow personally connected.

The statistics on CBS were painted so bleakly as far as lung cancer survival is concerned. Either I have had my head in the dirt all this time or I misunderstood their interpretation of the survival or they misreported the survival. Again, in any event, they were so outrageous that I choose not to believe it. Bah-loney!

Wishing Mr. J. well in his journey and the rest of us brave hearts! Go Forth and Conquer!

Cindi o'h