My dear husband has NSCLC Stage IV

I am so thankful to have found this site! On January 13, 2005 I had my friends at the Fire Station take Jeff to the hospital because he was becoming increasingly "odd". For days he couldn't remember simple words and his eyes looked like he was on drugs. I kept demanding to know what was happening and he just kept repeating that he didn't fell well. Actually this had been going on all through the Christmas Season. When I got the diagnosis that he had 8 brain tumors from nsclc and 1 met in the liver, I felt like Alice falling down the rabbit hole into cancer wonderland :shock: ...not a nice place. We have 2 kids: John,12 and Megan,10. I work full time and we have no living relatives in the area. I never had felt so overwhelmingly alone in my life. They told me he had 1-3 months to live and to get his affairs in order. I won't go into the whole saga right now but that was in January and now it's almost May. He is back at work and has been since the middle of February. We changed oncologists and protocols several times. I became agressive :evil: and pro active. This is as much my disease as his and we are fighting for our life. After months on the internet there is very little clinical information left for me to read. What I need now is to know what "real people" are doing with their situation and the results they have. Statistics are depressing and seem to have no connection to our personal reality. We rely on brains, hope, and Faith in God. Trish

Trish,

I like your attitude and approach to the fight. I feel the same way--Charlie and I are fighting this disease together. We are a team!

Welcome to the site we wish we didn't need. It has really been helpful to me as far as information, support, and hope. Take care. Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Hi, Trish, and welcome! Sorry about Jeffrey, but as you have learned statistics don't apply to an individual. You have also learned that the caregiver must be assertive and an advocate for their patient. So you are way ahead! Lucie, my wife, was given 9 months by statistics and is now 2 1/2 years out. Hang in there and let us know how we may support you two. Don

Trish,

Welcome. You will find much support and information here. Sounds like your husband is young and in pretty good shape and sounds like you are being very pro-active about his treatment. You guys hang in there and we will be here to help.

Prayers and hugs,

Nancy B

Hi, Just wanted to say welcome. Like Don said do not listen to statitics as so many here have beaten the odds. I hate when they say, get your things in order. That sucks!! To me that is unethical and so untrue. It just freaks you out thinking of the alternitive. You see here months have turned litterly into years, and still going. These energizer bunnys, will never give up. :lol:

Just keep fighing, so not give up. Find out about clinical trials if need be.

Anyway, you will get lots of support here.

Please take care of yourself as well as your husband.

Maryanne

Trish,welcome to our support family.You will find lots of knowing and caring people here.

Your attitude and commitment are important in this battle.It is I feel very important for you to advocate for your husbands health.

There are many here that have embarressed the statistics.

Welcome Trish!

Get me off my soapbox if I am up here too long!!! Maybe you need a SECOND opinion. Maybe even a THIRD. It took me until the FOURTH - that's right - FOURTH opinion - until I got to where I thought I should be - wanted to be! You sound strong and smart - a good combination. There's a lot of expertise here along with hugs and support. Hope we all can be of help to you at this difficult time.

Kasey

Welcome Trish,

I know the news about your husband must have been devastating , but it sounds like you are doing all the right things to fight this. I'm glad you found this group. It's good to have somewhere to go and ask questions , as well as to air our feelings, ask for a prayer etc. Take care and know that we are here for you.

(((Hugs))),

Sue