It was anemia...

gerbil runner

Mom ended up getting 2 units of blood for low hemoglobin. Not sure why it happened - a search on the 'net raised the possibility of an autoimmune hemolytic anemia, and since the dr.'s have put Mom back on low dose steroids(which would treat such a condition), they may suspect it, also.

Mom is still weak, but the new stair lift installed Friday should give her incentive to get around more.

Moral of the story? When things go bad fast, don't assume it's the return of cancer. Mom's scans were clean except for the remains of "fried" brain mets (which are a whole lot smaller than in early March).

Another dip on the roller-coaster weathered :D .

Thanks for all your prayers and encouragement.

That's a great big WHEW from here, Jen!! Glad to hear the good news.

Now...tell mom not to be fooling around on that new "escalator" all day long....okay? :wink: (Seriously...those chair lifts are a boon in some cases. Great idea to put one in!)

P.S. I had two units of blood and one of platelets this weekend myself...and didn't even realize how tired I was until they kicked in. I actually scrubbed the kitchen floor yesterday! :shock: Glad the cause of mom's symptoms was easy to fix with the transfusions!

That's a great big WHEW from here, Jen!! Glad to hear the good news.

Now...tell mom not to be fooling around on that new "escalator" all day long....okay? :wink: (Seriously...those chair lifts are a boon in some cases. Great idea to put one in!)

P.S. I had two units of blood and one of platelets this weekend myself...and didn't even realize how tired I was until they kicked in. I actually scrubbed the kitchen floor yesterday! :shock: Glad the cause of mom's symptoms was easy to fix with the transfusions!

Great news Jen. You are so right, right away you think the C word again. You must be so relieved it was just anemia. She should be feeling better soon.

Thanks for giving us the news.

Take care

Maryanne

What was really shocking was how fast this happened. Mom had had CBC done on April 6, and all was normal. 3 weeks layer, she needed 2 pints of blood!

She looked so bad on 4/27 that the onc. told us later that he didn't think she'd make it past the weekend if it had been cancer like everyone first expected :shock: .

Hemolytic anemia, BTW (which was not confirmed) occurs when the body mistakenly destroys red blood cells ahead of the 120 life span normally expected. It can be caused by certain medications (non of which my mom was on), or by infections, or for "unknown" reasons. It may continue for a lont time, or just disappear on its own. Weird, the things you learn.

Now that Mom is mentally back to normal after treatment for brain mets, we'd all like to see her get around better. (Sshh...I bought tickets to see the Smothers Brothers June 5 even though Mom wanted me to wait and see if she was feeling better...a good carrot).