Hello from Manitoba Canada

Guest Jeanbell

Guest Jeanbell

I had surgery for lower right lobectomy lung cancer 3 weeks ago, and am so frightened. This started out 3 months 3 monthe ago with breast cancer surgery and then they discovered the lung problem. Now they are gonna start chemo and radation soon for the lung and the breast treatments are gonna wait, they say the lung is the primary concern right now. I still have a lot of pain from the lung can anyone tell me how long this lasts? Mostly the nerve ending pain.

Thanks for any answers.

Jeanbell

Dear Jeanbell,

Sorry to you had the need to find us, but am glad you did.

As for time, it's going to take some time before your pain gets better. Everyone is different in that pain area, but if I were you, I would just take a deep breath for now, and not push things. I'm going to say, your not going to be up to par here for at least a couple of months or so. This is NOTHING you push! Not to mention you have the issue of having breast cancer surgery as well. (((Jeanbell)). Double trouble, but BEATABLE! Don't give up hope. This is going to be a bumpy road for you.

Do you know if your primary tumor is breast cancer or lung cancer? Did your breast cancer spread to the lung or the other way around? Just wondering, because if the breast cancer has spread to the lung, then that wouldn't really be lung cancer, but rather it would still be breast cancer that has spread. Although you may have some of the same treatments as lung cancer does, for the most part they are treated differently.

I wish you well, and please take your time in your recovery. I truely understand your fears, as we all do here that are battling lung cancer.

Best wishes,

Connie

I had the same surgery APril 20th which is almost 6 weeks ago and I still have the pain but not as bad. For the first three weeks I was on Pain meds and they made me feel lousy so I stopped them a week and one half ago. The surgeon told me the pain sometimes lasts for a year or two and for some it NEVER goes away completely. He did say he thinks I should be ok in about three months, 58 year old male if fairly good shape. I guess it depends on the individual. Hang in there, it will get better. The worst is over after three weeks.

Bill in Pennsylvania

The pain from the surgery will lessen over time, but some of the pain can be permanent. The good news is that most people over time adjust to the odd sensations of electrical current and numbness. When I become discouraged I always remind myself to consider the alternative to no surgery.

This is all very scarey, I know. Wishing you peace of heart and mind.

Hi Jean,

You sure have a full plate. You will get stronger everyday, and the pain will lessen. But you have to give it time. 3 weeks is not enough, unless you had the VATS surgery.

My husband had his upper left lobe removed. It took him about 6 weeks before he felt much better. But everyone is different. So just take you time in healing and one day you will notice the pain had subsided, and you will be able to function again. Drive a car, do some yard work, etc.

If you can, take walks and drink lots of water.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Maryanne

Hi Jean--

As others have said, welcome to the site no one really wanted to have to find. But there is a great group of people here who will provide you with all their support and share their experiences.

By the way, I'm a British Columbian so we're practically neighbors. Matter of fact, we'll be flying over Manitoba on Thursday when we head to my daughter's university graduation at McGill.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from others. We have at least one lady on here who started with breast cancer and then it went into the lung. She is doing great by the way. There may well be others too.

Keep us posted.

Gail p-m

Hi there Jeanbell.

I still have a wee bit of numbness around my incision, and the rare time I still feel any pain is when I take off a t-shirt every so often.(but most pain after surgery went away after about two to three months. Take care.

David P.

Hi Jeanbell. I have had the surgery twice. the second time they just opened up the old incision. Both times, most of the pain stopped after 2 months or so. I am now a little over 3 months since my last surgery and I have a little sore spot at my shoulder blade, along my back. Good luck with your treatment.

Don M

Jeanbell-

I think that bra's have a lot to do with it too. If your bra touches the scar I think the pain lasts longer. Be free and go braless, it helped me a lot with the pain. It took a while to get used too, I'm not a small girl. It's been a year since my surgery and I still have some pain every once in awhile.

Keep your chin up!