My Alimta Update,,,Help

lilgna

Well the results of my CT scan were a little disappointing... After reading others Alimta results, I am more concerned than ever. It appears I have had a slight improvement in a few areas, lymph nodes, but the nodule has slightly increased, as well as some other areas (lymph nodes.) No mets anywhere, else, had bone scans and brain as well as full Ct scans, Thank God for no mets.... But Dr. told me I would not be a candiate for Tarceva, because my disease was large, I never thought it was Its a few lymph nodes with no Mets, that must be good, I thought, but I was wrong I guess. Dr wants me to research clinical trial just in case the Alimta does not work, that was un-nerving, will keep me on it throughout, unless I have a large progression. I was very slow to respond to Carbo/taxol first round, but when I did I was in a stable mode for over 18 mths. Maybe thats whats happening now? I expected better results, and I am very disappointed, and slightly afraid, second progressions can be difficult to stop. HELP anyone else have similar results, everyone seems to have so much shrinkage and improvement. I do feel better Dr said that is worth someting to the reports... your reponses will be so appreciated.. gina

Gina,

I recommend you get a second opinion. Charlie's dr. has always been very aggressive with changing to another treatment when there is any progression. I don't remember all of your history. I know you were on the vaccine clinical trial and you mentioned the taxol/carbo. Have you had Gemzar or Navelbine or Taxotere? Different people respond to different chemos. Why does the dr. not think you are a candidate for Tarceva? Again, I recommend a second opinion as soon as possible. I will be happy to tell you about all the drugs Charlie has been on or help in any way that I can. Just PM me. Take care. Praying for you. Take care.

I'm curious too about why your doc doesn't want to try Tarceva. I've been on it for 5 months, I am stage IV with primary tumor in my right lung, malignant pleural effusion, nodules in the left lung, and mets to the brain. Tarceva may not have shrunk anything, but it has kept me stable for 5 months, and I'll take stable all day long.....

Have you started the Alimta yet? Maybe you just haven't had enough treatments to show how you're doing yet.? Let us know.

TAnn

Seems to me Tarceva is worth a shot! Anything is honestly! I've told my doctor to load me up with whatever he can find so we can get this to stop.

Tarceva did not work for me, I am currently on Alimta (treatment #6 tomorrow), last CT showed shrinkage. Although know I am coughing a lot and starting to get scared that is has progressed. You never stop to think it could be illness or allergy....you immediatly think of cancer!

Good luck, try everything you can....you owe it to yourself!

Hello-my husband has been through several different chemos and his dr changes them as soon as we don't get results. which hasn't been much --but we keep plugging at it. Keep your head up and find a dr that will give you hope and treatment as long as you are willing. God bless,Nancy C :):):)

Gina,

I agree with the others. There's certainly no reason why you can't go with the Alimta for now, but I sure don't understand why he would say you wouldn't be eligible for Tarceva. Makes no sense to me.

My husband's original dx was with a 7 cm. lung tomor and 8 brain mets, and unknown no. of bone mets. He went through 2 cycles of chemo (4 drugs) and then stabilized on Iressa for about 9 months or so. Tarceva is even stronger than Iressa. I don't know why the doctor wouldn't recommend you try it. Maybe it's time to get a second opinion.

Keep us posted.

Love,

Peggy

You didn't mention how many treatments you have had. My first scan after the second treatment just showed stable with some slight improvement in other areas, just about like you described yours. My shrinkage came after the 4th treatment so they gave two more which I completed last week and will get my next scan in a week. Don't give up on it yet and just pray for stable. I don't really expect much if any shrinkage on my CT, just stable. I agreee with the others that a second opinion is needed and Tarceva seems to be holding a lot of people stable. Hang tough and insist on more treatment if Alimta doesnt do it. Take care and God Bless.

CharlieD

Hi Gina,

I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering how things were going.

I agree with the others, I would get another opinion. From the information you are receiving from the doc's it seems like there would be many options still available - your current doc may just not be thinking agressive enough.

Hang in there, I will keep my fingers crossed for a new treatment plan for you.

Wendy

Thanks to everyone for your help. I have finished two complete rounds of Alimta. I guess I am just in a panic, because the response was not what I wanted or expected, really. I have taken a BREATH, and decided to wait until they scan me again, in July, if no better result, I will move on. Tarceva, in my research, should still be an option, I am not sure where the Dr got this info, but I will challenge. thanks again, your support pulls me through... gina Hey WENDY, I think of you also. Best to you all...

Just wanted to say hi to you Pam.

I can't help you with your questions, but just know that I am thinking about you and praying for better news for you next time.

If you are not satified then, always get a 2nd opinion. Never hurts.

Stay strong,

Maryanne

I agree that a second opinion is warranted.. You may also want to ask your question in the Ask the Expert section and see what feedback you get from the doctors there. They are extremely current on treatments as well as Clinical trials. They should be able to provide some excellent feedback..