A Short Update on Frank L. 06/01/05

Frank Lamb

Hey Frank.

Congrats on the shrinkage (of the tumor that is), and on having such a determined attitude. Some people find it difficult to talk straight with doctors -- you don't have that problem. Maybe you could give some on-line "dealing with doctors" strategy sessions? Take care.

David P.

Dear Frank,

I am glad to hear that they will start treatments again soon. I hope they don't make you sick this time around. Got to be strong for those tarceva treatments that your doc has just got to give you. I admire your courage and perserverance. It is so important to be your own best advocate in these matters. Hope you feel stronger soon. Keep us up to date.

Nina

Since when do statistics count........according to the stats you should have been dead for about 18 months and I'm about 3 years late for my funeral!

You weren't in the 85%+ that didn't make it through the first year why should you be in that percentage now??

Behind you all the way, Frank.

Geri

Gee whiz Frank,

You posted this yesterday after I was on. I can not add anything to what has already been said (by the women).

Tell your Onc Doc,"You have a whole gang of women with chickens headed her way. So shut up and listen to Frank."

I can just see the chicken cult charging in to her office swinging chickens over their head.

Frank,

You've got my vote on the Tarceva. Why not try it, you already know what the chemo is going to do to your body. There are options for us and our doctors have a responsibility to try each and every one of them.

Stay strong my friend.

TAnn

Thank you for keeping us updated, you are such an inspiration to all of us. It's sad that we have to push our doctors for every possible option. It seems it should be the other way around, they should be the ones pushing, that's their job! Have you looked into cyberknife at all? Sometimes they can target tumors that are otherwise impossible. Hope you get some good results soon, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank,

I've been reading all the post here, and keep coming back to the 15% statistic. Let's really analize that:

"ONLY 15%"?

Let's say that all 170,000 people diagnosed with LC this year, ended up taking Tarceva. I know that 15% doesn't sound like much....at first glance, it almost makes you think it's more like 15 people instead of percent....BUT --when you figure out 15% of 170,000 -- that's 25,500 PEOPLE THAT DO WELL ON TARCEVA. I don't think that THAT is anything to say "oh, we'll think about it..."

I hope you pursuade that doctor -- and if not, it might be time for a new one!!!

Best of luck to you, Frank!

Heather

Frank,

I've been reading all the post here, and keep coming back to the 15% statistic. Let's really analize that:

"ONLY 15%"?

Let's say that all 170,000 people diagnosed with LC this year, ended up taking Tarceva. I know that 15% doesn't sound like much....at first glance, it almost makes you think it's more like 15 people instead of percent....BUT --when you figure out 15% of 170,000 -- that's 25,500 PEOPLE THAT DO WELL ON TARCEVA. I don't think that THAT is anything to say "oh, we'll think about it..."

I hope you pursuade that doctor -- and if not, it might be time for a new one!!!

Best of luck to you, Frank!

Heather

IMO what's hurting the stats and making the percentages look bad is that these drugs ( Tarceva & Iressa ) are being RX'd for cancer patients outside of the original responder target group. A quick facts search on Tarceva and Iressa and you can find that criteria. Both drugs continue to perform very well within that target group. The stats are very impressive. Unfortunately, it is a narrow target group. For instance, last I checked Iressa results in Japan continue to be stellar. I offered my wife's Tarceva experience as a test case because she meets ALL responder criteria. Her initial response to Tarceva was dramatic improvement. Now only time will tell if this improvement is sustainable. So far her improvement seems to be holding ( esp. since her skin rash has returned ) but more scans in another month or so will be needed to confirm this.

Frank -

Can't add anything new but wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I have a whole bunch of jokes in coffers just waiting to unleash them on you :wink:

You inspire me - thank you!!

Much Love,

Amy

It's good to hear from you, Frank, and know you're on the trail, or should I say war path? Keep on fighting -- I know you will -- and terrorise that doctor into giving you the tarceva. All those angry women with or without chickens should give her pause!

Ellen