Glad to find this place

MalouDP

Hello everyone it is a blessing to have a support group like this. I have been reading this site for the past 30 days and it lifts my spirits up everyday. My husband is 62 years old and was diagnosed with NSCLC stage 1B on Jan 15, 2005. After numerous test we had a wedge resection on March 16, 2005. He ended up in the hospital for 3 months due to infections and recurrent sepsis. He was on the vent for 40 days. He finally got home from the hospital on June 6. Needless to say he missed all the plans for chemo prevention six weeks after the surgery. We went to see the Oncologist on June 15, and took another PET. He is now diagnosed with Stage IV with mets to one node. He is scheduled to start chemo today. Carbo and Gemzar. He also has COPD before we found out about the cancer. I am devastated but I am praising God that he has given him a chance to fight this beast. Thank you all for your love and support and God Bless.

Malou

Hi Donna:

No distant met,just one node but about 1 dozen of small new small growths on the left lung where the surgery was. The surgeon advised us to have chemo after the surgery since he did not get a clear margin due to the size and cannot do a complete lobectomy due to COPD, but the complications kept him from the hospital. I am horrified with every fiber in my body. How bad is chemo side effects nowadays? Thanks and God Bless

Malou

Hi Malou.

Welcome!

Sounds like you and hubby have been through so much already. Goodness.

Chemo isn't fun. For me, I had chemo and combination radiation. Who knows what made me feel so crappy? One or the other or both?

I wasn't a nausea person. Some have it, but I think many do not. Lack of energy and malaise. I did have to have a couple blood transfusions. Watch for dehydration. Push fluids and eat, eat, eat.

Chemo isn't like the old days. There are meds available to control the bad side effects of yesteryear.

It is doable.

Cindi o'h

I agree with everything Cindi said.

In my case the radiation did make me feel worse than the Chemo, although the chemo took a lot out of me. I did get sick the first time but took Kytral for nausea and I was fine.

Anyway I would do the chemo again if had to.

Praying all goes well.

God Bless

Barb

Sorry you had to find us. But as you know by reading the past posts we are here to help and support you, with advice, prayers or just a shoulder to cry on.

I am so sorry you husband has been having such a hard time. To be diagnoised with 1B and wind up IV is really a hugh disspoinment.

Have faith in his doctors to help get him though this.

Sending healing prayers to him and you for continued strength to you as a cargiver.

Remember we are always here.

Keep us posted on how his chemo is going.

Maryanne

Malyou,

Welcome. My husband had Carbo/Gemzar as his original chemo. and is now on Gemzar again. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask here or PM me. I will be happy help anyway that I can. Take care. Praying for your husband to have an easy time of it.

Thank you everyone for the best wishes and prayers. I am currently struggling between his care and work, but the strength of God keeps me going. My husband Thomas had his first treatment Friday, July 29, so far so good. I will keep you guys posted.

Thanks again and God Bless

Malou

Malou,

Welcome to the family. You will soon feel that this is your 2nd family. Everyone here is so very helpful and supportive. I just want you to know that you and your husband are in my prayers. Glad he finally got out of the hospital and was able to start treatment. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Love and Prayers,

Sue