Sleeping in chair after surgery......

Andrea

Hi. I believe (but I could be wrong) that bypass surgery is similar to lung surgery if you don't have it with the VATS minimally invasive procedure.

My mom can't get comfortable laying down, she had to sleep last night in the recliner. Did that happen to anyone else after surgery? If so, what did you do to get comfortable?

Thanks!

hey lady. my mom used a ton of pillows. she had more trouble laying down with the pericardial effusion and the pneumonia than her pneumonectomy, but for both she just pilled on the pillows. once her ribs healed from the lung surgery, on her side ('that' side) became the position of choice.

love to both of you.

xoxo

amie

I bought a wedge at a surgical supply store. I slept on the couch (reclining couch with room for the dog) for almost three weeks before I could attempt the wedge and six pillows. I used one of the pillows under my knees - it seemed to help. The pillows were to "prop" my body in some kind of comfortable position.

If she wants to sleep in the chair, make sure it's comfy and just toss a blanket or two on her (I used one for upper body, one for lower because both "zones" weren't always needing the same thing). If Dad's worried about her being alone in the living room, purchase a futon mattress and he can sleep on the floor next to her... Mark slept in his recliner in the living room with me to begin with - but he snores when sleeping in his chair and I made him go to bed. :wink:

Andrea

My mom did not have lung surgery so I cannot compare her experiences, but she did have bypass about 3 years ago. I had to stay with her awhile to help out. I remember her not being able to get comfortable, we got a hospital bed brought in and that helped some, but I think this to be expected. I do remember at that time Mom would not take a pin pill to save her life, and believe me after these quit giving her IV pain meds at the hospital she never had another thing. I'll never know how she did it. I am sure it will get better for your Mom, get her lots of soft pillows and one to hold over her chest when she moves or coughs.

Take care

Kim

Andrea,

Just going to add what everyone else said.. PILLOWS! Lots and lots of them. I think I had like 8 of them in my bed, you couldn't even see me.

As I got better, I got rid of them one at a time...

I slept in a recliner for a month. Used pillows for coughing and my knees. Then we went out to Las Vegas and I had no choice but to sleep laying down. I ordered some extra pillows for the bed and made it fine.

Hope she feels better soon. Glad she is home!

Nina

It helped (triple by-pass) me to sleep sitting up in a bed or recliner. Used a pillow like mentioned, coughing is very important. Also they encouraged me to get up and move, walk etc asap which helped a lot. Make sure she stays on top with her pain meds, really helps. I think (memory is getting bad) it was about a week or so before I started to feel better. Of course everyone is different and under different circumstances. Tell mom to hang in there, just a matter of time and she will feel better. Hope this helps. Prayers for the best.

How about 9 months in the recliner..? Thats what I did after pnuemonectomy...just wasnt comfortable even looking a t the bed. Finally got to bed tho..in the spring. Still cant sleep on surg. side tho..(used to be my fav. side).

So dont feel alone if its some time before u wanna lay down in bed. heh.

k...take care....Rich B.