Numb feet ....any relief?

DianeFox

Bob just finished his 4th round of Carbo/Taxol and his feet are increasingly numb and feel like cement blocks....I have heard that the chemo damages nerve endings and assume this is the cause, but was wondering if anyone has received relief during treatment. He hasn't gotten much exercise due to extreme fatigue....could lack of circulation cause chemo to "settle" in his feet or is this just a common side effect? Thank you in advance for your responses on your experiences...Diane

My Dad was also on Carbol/Taxol and when we realized he was getting nerve damage to his feet, his oncologist took him off it. I believe there might be some meds to help "block" or minimize the neuropathy but they, themselves, have side effects too. When and if my Dad goes on another chemo, apparently there are some that don't have this side effect.

gail p-m

I don't have any personal experience. Just want you to know there are a lot of people on this board who have had experience with carbotaxol. Once the holiday weekend is over, I know you'll get lots of info from them.

Sending caring thoughts and lots of hope your way that the side effects will minimize soon! Neither of you needs any added stress or discomfort.

Leslie

Hello, Il. neighbor,

Brian is suffering horribly w/ this problem right now.

You can see his tx hx below, but this started before his current chemo (while he was on Tarceva for only 5 weeks) so we have no idea if it is from the 1st chemo and just being exacerbated by the current.........both platin drugs..... or ??? We understand that Tarceva does not usually cause this nueropathy.

Brian is really suffering with it. We send understanding and prayers for some answers.

Our onc said that he has nothing to offer in the way of relief and that it takes many months for the nerves to recover.

We are very concerned and Brian even has trouble driving as he is unsure of pressure he is putting on the brake and gas pedals.

Hugs, dear.

P

I got neuropathy in my hands and feet from Cisplatin. When I suddenly started falling down be my feet couldn't decide what was going on, the doctor stopped it. So I missed the last dose. This is 7 yrs + later. I don't fall down anymore. I don't notice any real problem with my hands now. My feet still are fussy. They don't like new or a change of shoes! They don't like to be barefooted! They wiggle a lot "searching for information" They "feel" a little "numb" still.

The good news is the chemo worked. I am still NED. I am alive and living! The doctor told me peripheral nerves can regenerate, takes time. I never was told there was a quick cure medicine. Donna G

Hi Diane,

My husband had carbo/taxol and he was finished in June. He still has numbing in his feet and toes but it is subsiding. The doc said give it time as it could go away or might be permanent.

Just want you to know that it is not as bad as it was. It should lessen for your husband. This all came for the Taxol. That is what affects the nerve endings.

Maryanne

I had numbness in my feet which started 2 months after i completed chemo. I still have some numbness today 3 years later, but not as bad as in the beginning. My fingers also sometimes tingle abit and some numbness which doesn't last. I time, sometimes, it gets better/goes away.

Joanie (3 1/2 year survivor)

The following is what I found on the net:

http://docnews.diabetesjournals.org/cgi ... ll/2/3/1-a

"

Drinking alcohol increases the risk of neuropathy. Taking too much vitamin B6 can also cause neuropathy.

gabapentin (Neurontin), an anti-seizure medication, has been studied and proven effective in diabetic neuropathy

For night -time pain relief, Neurontin can be combined with topical pain relievers such as Lidocaine ointment and the Lidoderm patch.

Capsaicin, available over the counter as Capzasin-P and Capzasin-HP, is another option for topical pain relief.

Other anti-seizure medications such as carbamazepine (Tegretol) and phenytoin (Dilantin) are useful for treating symptoms of neuropathy

Lamotrigine (Lamictal), another anti-seizure medication, works differently from carbamazepine and phenytoin to reduce symptoms.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/peri ... m#43063208

Diane: I completed 4 rounds of gemzar/carboplatin last July. My oncologist told me that gemzar does not have the neuropathy that taxol does. I never experienced any numbness at all. Maybe he can switch to gemzar/carboplatin. If the chemo is working though, he may want to keep the chemo he has.

Don M

Diane,

I had Taxol/Carboplatin, last treatment 10/2003. I had numbing in my feet and hands, also a tingling like my feet and hands were asleep. I told my onc. she reduced the amt of chemo I was getting. It really helped, she didn't take me off or change chemo. She also told me to take vitamin B6 and B12 daily. I did this and it helped soooooooooooo much. Ask your doctor about this first and maybe about reducing the chemo. Just a suggestion. Let me know how you are doing and if I can help in any way. Always in my prayers...

God Bless, Prayers and gentle hugs,

Karen

Diane, sorry to hear about the numbness. My feet already had a lot of numbness and tingling from MS so I don't know if the chemo made it worse or not. Right now I am feeling better than i have in years and am taking short walks with my husband. don't know if the positives aspects are from Iressa or the supplements I take. There will be better days ahead for you. Keep having a positive attitude. praying for you. pammie

We saw the doctor today and were expecting for Bob to start round 5 of chemo, but the Dr. said that since the nerve damage was setting in he was halting chemo based on the fact that 4-6 months is optimum for this chemo and he has already completed 4. Now we wait................

Diane,

Did you ask the doctor about vitamin B6 and B12?

I had the same chemo once a week for eight weeks, off two months then back on for 4 cycles 4 times every three weeks... My oncologist just cut me back on the strength of the chemo. You and your hubby are in my prayers...

God Bless,prayers and gentle hugs,

Karen