Christmas Traditions ....

Ann

I know that every family has holiday traditions that are very special and unique to their families. Since we are one big, close knit family here at LCSC, I thought it might be neat for each of us to share a special tradition that is important to your family.

Who's first????

I had a weird upbringing so I didn't have any family traditions to share with my kids. We do let them open one present on Christmas Eve and this is always a big production as they try to pick which one they want to open. They shake everything trying to avoid the dreaded box that may contain clothes. :lol: Christmas morning we have some type of special coffee cake for breakfast and then a special Christmas dinner.

My kids have also started their own tradition of picking a movie and going out to the movie on holidays.

For 25 years, Dennis made his own Kahlua for the holidays. He would always make sure that he had it made and bottled by December 1st, so that it had time to sit in the dark and get perfect by Christmas Eve. He would brag that his Kahlua would "grow hair on your chest." This stuff was so good that we actually had friends request a bottle as a Christmas gift. So, I thought I would share his recipe with you. I plan on going home tonight and making a big batch in memory of Dennis.

You will need:

Dark glass bottles or jars

1/3 cup good instant coffee

3-1/2 cups sugar

2 cups water

Whole vanilla bean

1 quart vodka

Heat coffee, sugar and water until the coffee and sugar are completely dissolved. Slice open one whole vanilla bean and place in large jug, bottle or jar. For best results, glass should be dark. Add the coffee syrup misture and 1 quart vodka. Cap and age for about one month.

Hope you will try this and enjoy as much as we have over the years. When you take a sip, please think of my Dennis!!!

One of my favorite things was dressing up as Santa for my daughter, nieces and nephews every year. Made all the rounds at each house bringing them each one gift. People on the road would see me and honk there horns and yell out Merry Christmas Santa.

Our tradition is we each open up one gift Christmas eve then everything early Christmas morning. Christmas dinner then later on at night go for a ride to look at all the houses with all the decorations.

Father Christmas came to our party.

Every year the whole family got together. The furniture was pushed back against the walls, the gramaphone (showing my age) turned on and ballroom dancing began!

Card games went on in another room along with other games but the highlight of the evening was Father Christmas!!

All the gifts from the extended family were put in a sack and "he" would arrive in the living room to give them away. Every year one of the men would be missing from this affair and would return shortly after Father Christmas had left! I didn't figure any of it out until I was probably nine or ten and then deal was to keep it going for the younger cousins.

Aah, the inocence of childhood.

Geri

The Christmas Tradition we have now is Christmas eve dinner at my sisters. My Dad cooks a gourmet meal and we eat until we are about to burst. We then open all the gifts we are giving to eachother, as I have no children that means spoiling my nieces to no end and I love doing it. :):)

Christmas morning Alan and I open our gifts to each other then usually go to a movie.

It is a very special time.

Ann's post reminded me that we also have an alcohol tradition with our close friends. John's dad used to make a special drink only at Christmas time--I've never heard of it or seen it anywhere else except his family. Anyway, John now makes it and we invite our friends over one day around the holidays for "Molly Hogans." Every year someone calls and says, "When is Molly Hogan day?" I purposely put the recipe in the cookbook cause I knew our friends would want it just for that recipe!! :lol: Anyway, the recipe is on page 10--non drinkers can leave out the gin. :lol:

We always let the girls open on present on Christmas eve. I also would search for a new game and we all would play it on Christmas eve. Last year I assumed that they were to old for this (19 & 20) so I didn't get a game, they were both dissappointed. Still don't have one for this year, guess I better get looking.

Oh and when the girls were little they always put a play on for us.

As a child it was the big Christmas dinner with the whole family there. Everyone would bring a dish and it was wonderfull. When my kids were little it was the Christmas tree.

We would go from lot to lot looking for the perfect tree. Never quite found it but we would settle on one eventurally. When we got home I would make hot cocoa and pop popcorm. Then I would put the Christams music on. While I put the lights on the tree my children would make popcorn strings (they ate plenty too). Once the lights were on the children and I would decorate the tree together. Then I would spend days making decorations to decorate my house. Nothing fancy but I always felt so proud. Then when we moved back to Louisiana again a lot of that got lost. Our house was on private property and couldn't be seen from the road. Not much point in putting up lights.

After the children got married I would still do my tree and have the grandchildren over to help decorate it. Then on Christmas Eve we would all go to my oldest son's house for a family get together.

My oldest grandson has a great cajun accent. One year in gramar school one of the teachers had him read "A cajun night before Christmas" He was just great and they asked him back for a couple of years after he moved on to high school. He would also read it to the younger grandchildren.

No so much has changed. I don't spend Christmas with them any more and they have grown in different directions but they do still get together for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Man, I can smell my grandma's cinnamon rolls right now! We would get up on Christmas morning (not allowed to wake up Dad and Mom until 7 am!) and open gifts until the cinnamon rolls were ready. We always had grapefruit and oranges that my grandma's friend sent from Texas every year. We'd go to church with dad (mom always went to midnight Mass on christmas Eve) and the party would last all day long! Friends and relatives would drop in all day, and my poor folks would be exhausted and sleep in the next day.

Now we go to my mom & dad's on Christmas day and spend the afternoon and early evening there. Gift exchange takes an hour since each person can only unwrap one gift at a time, one person at a time, in order of birth. That way everyone sees all the gifts and thank yous are said immediately.

Suz

I had Xmas all the time. Open house about 60 + people. (Buffet of course) That ended about 3 years ago when my niece took it over. I do miss it, but not all the planing and preparation.

But traditionally, Me, Joel, Jason and Nicole (kids) go out to dinner every Xmas eve. Then we come back and open gifts.

Maryanne

So many...as a kid it was going to my uncle's house, and always being surprised from a visit from the guy in the red suit. When we were a little older, it was all about Midnight Mass. I'll never forget my first Christmas in MN...it had started snowing while were at midnight Mass...big fat flakes...and it was beautiful as we walked out into it. I was still impressed by snow back then. :P

Now that I'm the mom (still suprises me even tho I have 11 of these Christmases under my belt), it's all about going to the Family Mass on Christmas Eve, watching the kids sing in the choir, and then getting home in time to fry the turkey while praying that the house doesn't blow up. So far, so good.

Keep your fingers crossed for me again this year.

:) Kelly

We always spend Christmas eve with the same friends and their family. Christmas day we make a turkey dinner with all the trimmings and anyone is welcome to stop by. My husband and I also volunteer at a shelter. He is Santa and I am Mrs. Clause. We hand out the presents and entertain the children.

So, I have 4 brothers (ages 24,20,17,17) so Christmas is a little crazy. We all go to midnight church service but i cant sit by my 3 younger brothers b/c they try and catch my hair on fire with the candles.

On Christmas Eve my 20 year old brother always stacks the presents into piles organized on who they are for. Me and and my older brother think this is Un-christmassy so after he goes to bed we mess them all up.

Then on Christmas day we all go see a new movie at the theater.