My Dad is not doing well

NancyT

I will see him in the morning(I am 2 hours away) I have been working all week on getting him started on medication for the pain, its been terrible but I had a caring pharmicist tonight help me out because the morphine that was on the script was out of stock and not available til Monday. We got hold of the doctor on call and got an emergency triplicate for another type and they delivered to my Dad tonight. He told me it has already helped......I know its time to call hospice. I will talk with him about it tomorrow. I am stuggling with all this and cant seem to stop crying. I have alot of fear over the pain control

Thank you all for listening

NancyT

Nancy,

the morphine takes up to twelve hours +

before the relief.

What we did for my husband is to stagger

the patches, and to leave the one to be

replaced for 12 more hours while the new

one was there. There is also pills for

in between patches.

Hope the pain reduce with the medication.

Hugs

J.C.

Nancy,

I hope this day turns out to bring warmth and love between you and your dad and not just tears and sadness. I have a feeling he may be ready to help you accept this situation together.

You did everything you could to get you dad what he needed. You were there for him last night in word and deed. You saved your dad pain - that's a gift between a father and daughter nothing will ever undo.

Sending caring thoughts and strength for this and every day,

Leslie

Your dad is my age, and he has made it through the first year. Try not to be concerned about the pain meds. Lucie is on them permanently )spinal damage due to LC) and she has done just fine. Our onc told us that as long as she takes enough to ease the pain and not a lot more, she will not be addicted. We monitor the dose all the time. Blessings. Don

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. They are so appreciated. Today the Morphine didnt seem to help much so we increased the dose. The medication he will start on Monday is Avinza. It is suppose to be long acting. The one thing I accomplished today was to let my Dad know we would together work on this until we have this pain under control and there are so many options. He seemed better when I left.

Thanks again

NancyT

Hi Nancy,

For what it's worth Hospice was a God send when it came to controlling my Grams pain. She wore a pain patch that was changed every 2 days and then she also had pain pils for breakthru pain. When she couldn't swallow they gave her liquid morphine drops which worked almost immediately. Sometimes we had to change her meds daily. I really hope you get this worked out VERY soon as I know how very hard it is to watch someone you love in pain. Don't forget to take care of you. God Bless.