Going to run a 10k race in May

Joe B

I have decided to run a 10 K (6.2 miles) race this coming May in Traverse City Michigan. My wife Gina is going to run the 1/2 marathon (13 miles) as well.

I have been running between 2 and 3 miles about 3 to 4 times a week for the past several months....so I will have to take it up an notch in order to be ready. I have been averaging about 9 minute miles.

I am not too worried--in August 2003 (1 month before I was originally diagnosed with a 3CM tumor in my RML), I ran an 8k with that tumor in my lung....so this one should be easier.

In fact -- I credit meeting Gina and running with saving my life. I am convinced if I hadn't begun running, the symptoms (persistent cough) would not have been present.

God is good...he brought me a wife (and perfect twin soul) and saved my life in the process.

On a side note I am having a CT 2night (yes Sunday night at 9:15) Prayers are appreciated.

Joe

You and yours are always in my prayers, Joe B., but I'll kick it up a notch for today, too.

Thanks for sharing your news about your planned run. It encourages people to know that it is possible for some of us to engage in this kind of physical activity. And it might inspire some of us to get up and try to do more than we are doing now.

I'm not able to walk very well, yet. Feet are still too numb for me to walk at a brisk pace. My left rib cage is not stable as some of the ribs have been destroyed, so the diaphram (sp?)and my left and only lung are not supported. I know that sounds strange, but I don't know how else to explain it. BUT...I am up and out of bed today. I am walking slowly, but I AM walking, up and down two flights of stairs to move around my house.

Thank you, Joe B... I wasn't expecting the swift kick in the behind until my Pity Party officially ends at 12 AM on Monday, but sometimes it doesn't hurt to get a head start on a "difficult project"! :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone....

I thought I would post periodic updates here on my quest to run the 10 k in late May.

I ran 4 miles this morning in 35:48. Just under a 9 minute mile pace.

Gina is encouraging me to run the 1/2 marathon with her now....I said I would think about it. What have I gotten myself into ? :?

Joe B

• 3 months later...

The Race is this Saturday morning. Gina & I ran 4 miles last night... I need one more long run (Wednesday 5 miles) to feel better about running 6.2 miles on Saturday. I won't set any records ;) but will feel good if I can finish respectfully.

Also, I had my 4 month CT on Saturday (5/20). We are watching several small nodules, and are praying for reduction or stable presentation of those.

I will post after the run.

I meet with my Oncologist on Tuesday 5/30...prayers are appreciated.

Good Luck Joe. I did a half-marathon (run/walk) three years after my first lobectomy to raise money ($2600) for The Wellness Community. It was so much fun, I did another a few months later. Our trainer had us run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute. It worked for me - actually I think I walked 3 minutes and ran 1 minute.

I think it is great that you guys are doing this. Hugs to you and your family and God Bless.

Nancy B