New To The Site -- Mother Just Diagnosed with SCLC

PaulaWKY

Hello Everyone,

My mother was just diagnosed today with small cell lung cancer of the left lung. The doctor did scans of her brain, stomach and bones and so far these scans have come up with no cancer. They did notice during a CT Scan a spot on her right kidney. They have a PET Scan scheduled for tomorrow to check the spot on her kidney.

My mom is 53 years old and has 3 children.. 2 grandchildren so far but is expecting 2 more in the coming year. My mom smoked from the time she was a teenager until she was diagnosed. Her smoking did the opposite to me I've never touched one and never will.

If anyone has information or a good website that provides information on this I would appreciate it. This has been a shocking and upsetting time for our family. I thought for a long time something like this could happen but never really thought it would happen to my mom. I'm still trying to process this and get as much information as I can to educate myself and my family. Good luck to all of you..

Paula

Paula,

I am very sorry to hear about your mom and glad you found us. you will not find a better group of loving people than those on this board. Many of your questions can be answered right here by those who have been through or going through what your mom is.

My husband was dignosed a little over a year ago and like your mom smoked since he was a teenager. I like you have never smoked. I hope your mom is able to kick the cigarettes (my husband was not).

we are here for you. My prayers to you and your mom.

Paula,

Welcome to our site. Sorry you needed to find us, but on the positive side, it sounds like maybe your mom's cancer hasn't spread. That would be great news. Don't have much info on small cell, but as her fight starts, there will be lots of us here that will be able to help.

Joan

Welcome to this site Paula. So sorry to hear about your mom. my mother-in-law has smoked since her early teens and even kind of expected she might get lung cancer. Instead, "never smoked me" got it. She is so sweet and said she wished it had happened to her instead of me. If we could trade places she would in a heartbeat. Put the blame and anger of smoking behind you and mom. That is in the past and your mom needs your unconditional support. All the grandkids will benefit greatly from a positive encouraging atmosphere and your mom will too. The oncol told me the first day, be positive and relax. my dear husband has been the bedrock of being positive. Helps put good endorphins into the body when you have an optomistic outlook on life. Takes a while to get over the shock of the cancer diagnosis. There are lots of wonderful people on this site full of good and helpful advice and experience. This site is invaluable to me. praying for you and your family. pammie

Welcome. So sorry to hear your Mom has cancer. You are so quick to search for information! She is lucky to have you helping her. There are links from this site to more info as chemocare.com etc that will also give you the info you folks will be needing. Hopefully it is limited SCLC and if she gets into treatment she will have a great response. Keep us posted. Donna G

Paula,

So sorry about your mother's diagnosis. I was new here just a few months ago because my Mom was diagnosed with SCLC too. The people on the site are wonderful. They have given me the support & information needed.

The road ahead is very long for you, your mother & family. Try to stay strong & be there for your mother. She will go through every emotion in the book in a very short time. Denial turns to sorrow & then to anger.

The treatments are very rough on them. There will be big bumps in the road along the way but, there is hope. Treatments have come a long way in the last 10 years. Also, new treatments are coming available & offer hope. There are many here that have achieved remission & continue to live, defying the odds. Try to keep in mind that they can't put a number on human spirit & the will to live.

Here are some tips that helped us out:

Keep a journal of everything that happens with your mother. A lot happens in a very short time & it's very hard to keep track of it all.

Don't try to push her into anything. Your Mom needs to know she has a say in what's happening to her body.

Stay on top of the doctors & make sure your Mom is kept comfortable. Quality of life is very important. Also, make sure pain medication is made available to her when it is needed. Sometimes they have a hard time swallowing/keeping down medication due to treatments. Pain med. patches are wonderful in this instance. Have the prescription in hand because they can't call in narcotics, to the pharmacy, in most states. You don't want to make her wait for relief (this became a big issue for my Mom).

Try to keep her eating. It's very important for her, to keep strength up. Let your Mom have anything she wants.

Be sure to take care of yourself as well. Your Mom needs you to stay healthy. There will be times when you feel overwhelmed. Don't be afraid to take 'me time' & be kind to yourself.

All kinds of information can be found by doing a Google 'Small Cell Lung Cancer' search. One of the best sites for information is:

http://www.cancer.gov/

We are here if you need us!

Lisa

Hi Paula,

Welcome! I am so sorry about your mom. Cancer sucks! Especially when it is hit with someone you love. My dad was diagnosed back in August of 2004 and today he is doing remarkably well. I wouldn't do a search on SCLC because you will get very upset. The stats you read about are very disappointing and my dad has already beat the odds. We are here for you if you have any questions or if you just want to vent.

I believe the best thing for you and your mom is to be optimistic and stay positive.

love,

jorja

Hate that you had to find us but glad you have.

There are a lot of supportive and loving people here. One comment made-don't look it up on the internet, you probably already have!! That info is very depressing. Read my bio below. There are some who do very well with the chemos.

Come back with questions, we are here to help each other.

Cindy

Hi Paula,

As others have said, welcome to our site, but sorry you had to find us. I was dx with sclc in May 05. You can read my history below. Best advice I can give you is to stay as positive as possible. Realize that SCLC is very depressing when reading about it, but good oncologists and clinics are very helpful and positive. Don't focus on the 'cause', I believe you and we all need to live life and trust in our God for help. There are many treatment options, but right now your mom needs a good caregiver. Sounds like she has one with you.

Keep in touch

Hi Paula -

Welcome asn as everyone else has said //I am sorry you have to be here. I can certainly relate to the pain of having a mom diagnosed. I didn't think I was going to make it through anything the day I found out...yet you will have more strength than you ever imagined. I can't give you any advice better than what everyone has already said...yet now that there is a group of us who have either lost moms or are fighting the battle with them right now...you will receive a ton of support throughout your journey -- which will be marked with good and bad...be thankful for the good times and KNOW that you will make it through the bad ones.

Holly

Hi Paula,

Your Mom is young and that fact helps to make her a fighter. Chemo and radiation were given to me in April 2002 - today I am cancer free. There is hope. Please keep posting and asking questions, that's what we're here for. The statistics are old and reading them really serves no purpose.

Joanie

Thank you everyone so much for your support. Mom started chemo a couple of Fridays ago. We had hoped everything was going to go well for her but by Wednesday she was back in the ER. We have had problems getting her to eat and drink. She said her favorite drinks/foods no longer taste good to her. We have tried different foods/drinks hoping one of them will taste right to her but so far no go. Because of all of this she ended getting severely dehydrated. She had been vomiting up all she ate or was constantly in the bathroom. Because of the dehydration and a change that her doctors made to her blood pressure medication her blood pressure bottomed out. When I got to the hospital it was 70/50 and she had been there a while.

She ended up staying in the hospital until this past Sunday. I've been at the hospital with her so I'm just now able to post an update. This has been so frustrating and I feel like my hands are tied with her. The hospital stay was good for her mainly because she hates it so much. Hopefully she realizes now that us telling her how important it is for her to drink/eat isn't just us blowing hot air. Hopefully now she realizes how serious it is.

On a good note my mom got the wonderful news the day she went into the ER that I'm expecting her first grand daughter in June. She has two grandsons already but has been dying for a grand daughter for some time. My brother is also expecting his second in July so maybe she will be getting two grand daughters very soon. Something for all of us to look forward to.

I hope everyone and your families are doing well.

Paula