Odds and Ends

daggiesmom

Hi Everyone,

I know someone here will have some info about SSD benefits. How do they work? How long does it take? How do you apply? Do you automatically qualify if you have lung cancer. Would they withhold it since I'm now 4 years out? I went to the doctor today (general dr.). All went well, thank goodness, and they're going to gradually get me off the ameoderone. He explained that the reason my hair is falling out is because that hair was the hair growing back in December when all this shock to my system occured. He promises me it will come back. Silly, but I'm most concerned about that. He also took a blood test for my thyroid. So we'll see where that stands. I have to go back in two weeks.

Any helpful information with the SSD would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone :)

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

I can help you with some of your SSD questions. There is usually a 6 month wait to get benefits. You need to call your SSD office or go to www.socialsecurity.gov. You must have earned enough credits through working. To qualify you must have "a physical or mental impairment that's expected to prevent you from doing "substantial" work for a year or more, or result in death. Hope this helps.

Joan

Joanie,

Thanks for your reply. Reading it, I don't think I qualify, at least, not yet. I have a friend who keeps telling me to apply for it, but I keep thinking, "I'm not disabled." So it leaves me wondering what to do. If it takes 6 months, when do you start to apply? Who knows the answer to that? I know my friend means well, but at the same time, I really don't think I qualify, that is unless if you have a diagnosis of lung cancer that makes you eligible right away? Do you think that's true? All this stuff really confuses me. Anyway, thanks again.

Joanie

Hi Joanie, I looked into disability when first dx'd, this was through the our state teachers disability program. They approved my application in 3 months, but then I realized that they could continue to review my case yearly to determine if I was still disabled....I just didn't feel like saying I was sick and defending that every year, so I backed out.

I also did a search on-line and read about the SS disability conditions for lc...If I remember correctly, I needed to have a second tumor, inoperable, in order to get SSD plus I didn't have the quarters.

I have problems thinking at work, maybe the chemo or maybe post tramatic stress or maybe too much chocolate. But I figure even a bad day at work is better than staying home all day with the cats. :) Barb

Hi Joanie.

Please listen carefully.

It doesn't cost anything to apply.

The only bad thing that can happen to you if you apply and are turned down, is nothing.

The only good thing that can happen is if you apply and you are approved.

You will have to first make a telephone call to SS. They are easy to talk to, considerate, and most cooperative.

Good luck with this, Joanie. I know that you have been struggling.

Cindi o'h

I realized after my first treatment that I was not going to be able to work. In February I applied for Social Security online and although the application was very detailed and lengthy, it wasn't horrendously difficult if you have all your personal and medical information in some type of order. Within a few days I received a letter regarding a phone interview and after that phone interview I had a face-to-face appointment. It's important to have an appointment because otherwise you end up waiting forever at the Social Security office.

When I had the appointment I brought in copies of all my medical records - the important scan, x-ray and biopsy reports along with the notes from my visits with my oncologist. I also had to bring in a certified copy of my birth certificate.

I was approved for SSD within two weeks and my benefits will begin in August. In the meantime, I receive SSI also.

I was told that SSD approved my application so quickly due to the stage of my cancer and because I had all the necessary medical records for them to review.

I was really dreading the whole SSD application process and it wasn't that bad at all.

As Cindi said, it doesn't cost anything to apply!!

Good luck!

Pam in FL

I don't know much, but the little I know from a few cases at work is that a lot of it has to do with how you feel and what you present to the dr as to how you feel. There are studies which show that even in remission, the effects of chemo can linger and cause permanent fatigue. You have to let your dr know how weak you feel so he can document it if that makes sense. It is all about perception I think :)

My mom qualified but she was kind of "easy" b/c right when she was in remission and rebounding she had the brain anyerum, ARDS, then triple bypass.

I also do know from my cases that there are lawfirms that specialize in Social Security Disability. I know Binder & Binder is one, they are national but are headquartered near you in NY.

You should go ahead and apply now. If you are denied you can file an appeal. The important thing is it is retroactive to when you first apply, even if you are denied. With a dx of LC you are probably going to get approved at some point, so go ahead and get the process started, as Cindy pointed out you have nothing to lose by doing it. Good luck.

Karen H

You can apply for it on line. I decided not to do it because I don't have any recent quarters. I do have quarters from years ago that will make me eligible for ss when I am 62. I will apply for that this September. It is not much, but I will get $90 bucks a month or something like that.

Don M

I just completed the disability process this month. (I applied in late January and was approved in late March. I submitted for it about 18 months after I had my lung removed. I had completed my chemo/radiation/clinical trial and was at this stage "stable". During the previous 18 months I went back to work and was collecting partial disability during that time through my employer.

I am not sure if I was approved so quickly because I was diagnosed with mets to my spine within weeks of my submittal, or if it would have been approved with me at IIIa and the dealing with the after-effects of the treatments.

Anyways, I would definetly apply. The paperwork isn't too bad, and they actually obtained my medical records (I didn't have to deliver them). I filled out a form, talked 15 minutes to someone over the phone, and received and mailed medical releases and my birthcertificate in. The rest of the work was done by SS.

Good luck!

Wendy

Just wanted to remind you that you can earn as much as $830 per month and still be able to process your claim. This amount can be from any source such as short term disability, vacation or sick leave or whatever. Also you can earn that amount and continue to draw your benifits if approved.

My SSDI was approved in less then 3 months but could not draw until the 6th month. Also your medicare kicks in after 2 years.

I just went online to apply for SSD for my husband yesterday.

The requirements for application were an illness that is expected to limit your ability to work for 12 months or more OR have the expectation of death.

Unfortunately lung cancer generally falls under the category of having the expectation of death. (even though I don't believe it, I believe we can beat this).

Additionally, they say applying for SSD is a 6 month process. However, as soon as I checked the box online that said expected death, I was prompted to call a phone number to have a personal social security agent expedite my case. Apparantly cases deemed terminal move to the head of the list and can have judgement and approval within as little as 1 month. So far, it seems fairly easy.

My only fear is that the short term disability that my husband May or May not qualify for through his employer might disqualify us for benefits. Its just hard because we can't really afford to live on the employer based disability pay alone. Anyone know the rules with applying for SSD in addition to employer benefits?

Carleen,

I've been on disability since last May. First, from my employer (short term) and then (after a 6 month wait) started receiving SSD. Yes, I did get approval quickly from SSD, but there is still that 6 month wait unfortunately. I also have long term disability from my employer. They minus the amount I get from SSD. Any employment income also gets deducted.

You need to look closer on line as far as will they let you earn anything at all. I might have seen a small number there?? not sure. Remember, they are looking for a severe disability for it to be considered a disability.

There can also be family benefits and survivor benefits.

I'll go check further for you and get back.

Joan

My husband has been on SSD for 2 years before LC diagnosis. He applied for it when his back was hurting to the point where he can no longer work. His orthopedic doctor wrote it up as degenerative arthritis.

It took them 12 months to approved it but boy the retoactive money sure was very pleasant surprise. I am sure if you tell your doctor that long term side effects of chemo is making you tired or something, or the SOB, you might just very well get approved. It is more money than regular SS you will get when you turned 62. It's about $500 more than regular SS

I think it depends on the credits you put in when working.

Please go for it. Don't hesitate.