New and Confused

Bubba Beth

Hello. My dad has a very aggressive fast growing tumor on his bronchial tube right by the entrance into his lung. It is already affecting his breathing. They will begin radiation next week to try to reduce the size of the tumor before starting chemo. I am to scared to ask my dad how fast is fast? Does he have a week, a month, a year??? Can he survive? Lots and Lots of questions, but just starting here to look for some answers and hope. Bubba is the nickname my dad has called me since I was a little girl.

Hey, hey, hey, Bubba Beth!!!! Slow down there!!!!! Take just a step back there and at the same time take a deep breath. Of course your Dad has a week and more!!!!! Radiation will alleviate these symptoms interfering with his breathing. Those of us here do NOT entertain the thoughts you are.......trying to answer if he will be here in a year. Nobody knows that, Beth. Not even the docs. So get the radiation started and the rest of the plan will fall into place. Try to unsqueeze your fists, unclench you jaw, and start gathering information.

Well, that's enough lecture for your first visit! Others will be by shortly and offer more insights. For now, try to relax a bit, okay? There are many folks here to help you.

Kasey

Hi Bubba Beth,

Kasey is so right. Nobody knows how long any of us have. Especially the docs. Once you get started with a treatment plan you and your dad should feel much better.

You should enjoy every day no matter what, which everyone should always do. One thing about LC is that I think it makes you appreciate the little things.

Anyway, lots of smart people here, so ask away with your questions.

Joan

Hi Bubba Beth, Only God knows when you time is up. Stay positive and start those treatments. I am sure they will help. I know you have lots & lots of questions. Ask away and someone here will be able to help. I know it is hard to do, but you have to keep a positve attitude and spirits high. God Bless

Welcome Beth,

Sorry about your dad. I understand you are afraid and you can't help but think about the future. Try and cherish today and take it one moment at a time. It is really the only way to stay sane through all of this. When I think of the future, my fears and terible imagination go wild and the tears become uncontrollable.

How much time your dad has can only be determined by your dad and God. It all depends on how he responds to treatments and God's grace in guiding him to the right plan. My husband has what the doctors consider a very aggressive and fast growing cancer. When they first explained it to me, they said that they usually rate things on an aggression scale of 1-4 with 4 being the most aggressive. They said my husband was a 4. That was 3+ years ago.

On the other hand, there are others who have less aggressive cancers and succumb way too soon. No one can say why or when. The one thing that does seem to add to longevity is hope. Never give up hope and try and keep a positive attitude. Help your father keep his spirits up. If your father survives for years and years to come it will be a blessing. If he does go to heaven too soon, well then at least you will have had some joyful moments to have shared in the days ahead. Don't look back and regret the time wasted in despair. Enjoy each day you have with your dad, and cherish every moment. None of us know when our time is up and we will be called home.

Take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. Come back often and let us share in your journey and try and help all we can.

Welcome! Sounds like a plan is in place and moving on it. No one, not even the doctors, can say how much time a specific person has -- it is too individual. Some respond to treatment and others do not. The main thing is to fight it with whatever arsenal there is. My wife has been through 4 different chemos and multiple radiation treatments and she is still here after 3 1/2 years. Let us know how we may support you. It would help if you would tell us just what type of lung cancer, what stage, and what treatments your dad is going through. Don

I agree with the others, Bubba.

Try to find out what kind of cancer he has and what stage it is.

They said that mine was an agressive cancer too. Here it is 3 1/2 years later.

Best of luck to you.

This is scary. We were all scared especially in the beginning.

Cindi o'h

Sorry about your dad's diagnosis. Keep us posted on is progress and they seem to have a plan. Keep a positive attitude as that is half the battle there.

Please try to relax. LC is not a death sentence, they just have to find the right treatment to make him stable.

Keep us posted on his progress. You WILL feel better once he starts his treatments.

We are always here for you.

Maryanne

Bubba,welcome to our support family.Most fast or aggressive tumors do respond well to treatment.

After surgery,chemo and radiation I had a tumor appear blocking 80% of my airway in the broncial tube.They were able to open the airway(not able to get all the cancer)with laser surgery and installed a stent.I have been doing pretty well for a year so far now after that.

Bubba:

As you can see from all of these posts so far, there are options in the treatment of this disease no matter how it seems -- many, many survivors in here who have been through "it all". Which way things go and how they go is so highly individual that there is no "one answer fits all" with this.

I asked the same prognosis questions when I first got here too -- it's natural for our minds to go there at initial diagnosis when we are in shock and just plain scared of this new unknown in our life -- first thing is to let that go and know that we are here to help you through this with your dad.

Welcome.

Linda

Thank you all for your incredible response and support. It was exactly what I needed to hear and really put my feet back on the ground. I am so glad to have found this site. I will find out more specific details of type and stage of cancer (now that I know to ask :)) and will let you know what is going on. Thanks again!

Beth

Hey Beth!

You have already been given some good advice, so let me just throw out one more reminder: take care of yourself during this time *ss well. You will be no good to your dad if you wind up a medical and / or emotional pile of goo.

I really feel for you right now. Sometimes I think those first weeks of shock, disbelief, and devastation were the worst. It does get better. Keep us updated, and feel free to chat, ask, or vent here anytimne!

:) Kelly