Dad is blind

knw55

My step-mom called yesterday to tell me my dad is blind. This broke my heart, I've cried until my eyes are swollen. Dad has asked that everyone stay away, he doesn't want anyone to see him like this. She said he fell in his bathroom, then threw up alot of dark looking blood. Is blindness a part of this? Does that mean it is now in his brain? I don't understand any of this. I have lost alot of people in my life and have always managed to praise God for the time they were here, but this time I am angry! I sat outside yesterday after we got off the phone sobbing and demanding to know why. It hurts me so much to think my dad can't see. When will it ever be enough. I don't want dad to suffer anymore but I'm not ready to let him go either. Help me. I hurt so bad. Karen

I think you need some real support or explaination for all this new information. Is it possible to take the information that you have and ask your doctor where you live to "guestimate" it for you. Right or wrong, the answer that doctor is able to give you is better than your imagination. Maybe that will curve your panic of not knowing everything from moment to moment and why? It may also help you threw this process of literally "pre-grieving" as I would discribe it. The only other option is to brave the unknown and accept that this is most likely all due to the cancer.

Him going blind is a likely increase of the cancer. Steaming from breast cancer (chosen not to treat for 10 years) a family friend lost her sight, then taste and so on ... Remember the brain holds alot of functions, apparently this is where it's chosen to take this "route".

Good luck to tyou in the coming time.

Tammy

Karen, I am so sorry that you and your family, and your daer dad have to go through this. I don't understand it either. It seems there could be a more merciful way to leave this life. I understand how hard it is to watch your dad suffer.....I went through it earlier this year, and it was pure hell. Nothing too comforting to offer you right now, except that somehow we all get through it, and our loved ones find peace. Blessings to you, your dad, and your family.

I remember another person going blind due to a rare complication of chemo. If it happened suddenly after a fall it may be due to a head injury and not permanent. It could be due to a stroke also. I worked with a client blinded in childbirth due to a stroke and she has much of her sight back now. Hang in there-- let us know when you get more information.

Sorry this is so darn tough right now.

Today, your Dad might have more answers to what is going on with his eyesight. I can't imagine how he is feeling. Scared out of his wits, I bet. Poor guy.

I will be watching for a glimmer of some good news about him from you. Hoping for some anyway.

Cindi o'h

Karen,

If your dad is throwing up blood, he likely has a bleed somewhere in his GI tract. If he wants to be treated for that, get him to an emergency room now! If he refuses treatment (his choice) then he may eventually pass from the bleed.

~Karen

not a doc, but my dad had a GI bleed

Karen:

I am rather mute and helpless to respond to your post. All I can do is offer my prayers that this is temporary and things will turn around before you know it. I don't really ever say such things to folks here, even bother to post mostly when I don't have anything to offer....all I can offer is my silent support, once again, to another member....just this time, it's in print.

Linda

Karen,

My 27 year old son passed away in August 2005. He had Osteosarcoma (bone cancer) of the paranasal sinus. As part of the treatment his right eye was removed because the tumor was growing in his optic nerve. We cried and cried over the thought of that surgery, but he took it like a trooper and it wasn't so bad. He still had his left eye. We rationalized it by saying that if he were in some kind of bad accident and lost his eye, we would be grateful that he wasn't killed.

About a year after that surgery, his tumor came back in his brain, and he lost total vision in his left eye. As a mother, I was devastated! My son was a warrior to the end. He never once complained about losing his vision, and told me it was not that bad! We lost him about 3 months after the blindness settled in. My heart is breaking for you, as this is a terrible thing to have to watch a loved one go through. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Be strong!

God Bless,

Sharon

Hi Karen,

I don't have any answers for you. But I want you to know that I am sending prayers to your dad. I too pray that his is temporary and his vision will return.

Poor guy he is so devistaged. It is one thing to have this monster of a disease but not being able to see is unthinkable.

Please keep us informed and know that we are here for you 24/7

Maryanne