It's been a long 11 days since my Chemo Treatment

ursol

To All,

I'm new at this and feel like I'm not as strong as so many of you are. I started my adjuvant chemo on Tuesday, November 14th. Paclitaxol and Carboplatin. Got through that okay. Felt fine on Wednesday. Woke up Thursday and lost my taste buds. Was taking Anzemet for nausia but as of late afternoon began my vomiting. No liquids, no food, no medicines, by Friday morning I was beat and dehydrated. Called my oncology clinic and off I went for IV fluids and Nausea meds. I also had developed terrible pain in my stomach and was given morphine. By end of friday, I was sent home as they thought the vomiting was under control. I vomited again in the car ride home. And it continued throughout the night into the next day. Saturday I went to the ER per my Dr. I was admitted and had a Chest X-ray revealing slight liquid in lungs. Dr. not concerned. Had a CT Scan that revealed an enlarged bladder therefore a catheter was ordered for about 1 day. Was sent for an Endoscopy to insure I did not have a stomach ulcer or other related stomach issue. That was negative. By now it is Tuesday, 7 days since Chemo and I'm feeling better and my oncologist tells me that they noticed something they may be concerned about on my CT scan. My Adrenal gland seems enlarged and having compared to previous scans, they feel a new PET scan is the best course of action. I am scheduled to go for the PET Scan this coming Tuesday night. He went on to talk about worst case scenario's etc. (all lost to me as I just was astounded at what I was hearing). He said I could go home since it appears I had finally stopped vomiting 10lbs lighter later.

Luckily I was out in time for Thanksgiving but I still could barely eat any food, and spent the day with my 30+ family at my Aunt's house thinking about what will come next. I found myself fighting the tears all day. I get home that night and my mom calls me to tell me that she just received word from Boston, my cousin lost his 16 year battle with Lymphoma and had passed away Thanksgiving morning.

Salvatore Coppola, such a wonderful man that could never do anything bad to anyone gone at the age of 71. He called me several weeks ago to give me encouragement in my fight and told me to be strong and stay positive. I will miss his spirit and attitude.

Lilly :(

Hi, Lilly. Some things my wife and I learned from chemo experience:

(1) Take the nausea medicine every day BEFORE you get nauseated. You should do this as long as you are taking chemo.

(2) Eat small snacks every 2-3 hours instead of the three squares a day. This will keep the stomach with something on it, and cut down on the nausea. It also ensures enough nutrition.

(3) Your taste buds will change, so you can't go by whether things taste right or whether you are hungry. Just eat anyway.

(4) Continue to drink plenty of fluids so you don't get dehydrated -- Ensure, Boost, Smoothies, Frosties, shakes, juices, water.

Keep us posted on your progress and welcome to our cyberfamily. Don

i will just reiterate what the previous posts have all said with regard to how to manage. Now, that being said, I want to add that I am so very proud of you, Lilly. You are doing very SUPER in my opinion. So I don't know why you mentioned not doing as well as others here. WE ALL deal with those feelings of 'what if' and.....well.......those 'other' feelings too.

I am so hoping that there is nothing going on that will cause you any additional concern. Let's wait and see what the scans show, okay? And I am so sorry about how those side effects hit you. Nausea and dehydration can be nasty to deal with.

Take it easy, Lilly, and don't be so hard on yourself. It sure didn't help to lose Salvatore either. We are women of fortitude, Lilly, the women of LCSC. And we are all right there beside you.

(((Lilly))),

Kasey

Lilly~

Sorry you had such a bad experience with chemo. You've been given excellent advice but I just want to tell you it is very common to have the adrenal glands enlarge and it not be cancer. The adrenals are a common area for lung cancer to metastasize so they worry-- but many here have had this same experience (including my husband) and it hasn't been cancer. Try to get your self back in the fight...I hope the next treatment is better.

((Lilly)) We started this battle about the same time. Know that you are in my prayers and I so hope the next treatment goes better and you do not experience the same problems again. These good folks have given you great advice. Remember attitude and gratitude can see you through anything!!!

Judy

Lilly,

Sorry for your rough week. Good advice so far. If you like ginger, ginger tea is supposed to be good to calm an upset tummy.

Hoping your PET is good and your next treatments go a bit better. I had almost the exact same treatment as you, Lilly. That was about 4 years ago. I felt yucky too. Put me on the couch. Do try very hard not to get dehydrated.

Cindi o'h

I think you are doing rather admirably Lily, preservering when you have had a hard time with the chemo. I did not have to deal with such side effects. I hope you find a way to mute the effects.

Pease accept my condolences on the loss of your cousin.

I hope the PET scan shows no problem with you adrenal.

don M

Wow Lilly, so sorry for all you have been through. Everyone is different when it comes to chemo. I think I told you that Joel breeze through his first chemo which was the same as yours.

Joel also had a enlarge adrenline gland which turned

out to be nothing. So try not to stress over that. I know that is easy for me to say.

I hope the rest of your chemo is much better then your first experience.

Good luck with your Pet scan. I hope all comes out ok and know that we are always here for you.

Will be thinking of you, keep us posted

Also please accept my condolences on the passing of your cousin.

Maryanne :cry:

Lilly,

It saddens me when I hear that you have such a bad time with chemo. I do not know what I did that helped me so much I had the same chemo plus Tarceva and still did not get sick at all. I have added all the things I did to My Story section. I did get approval from my doctor for each thing that I took. I think the AHCC and the Melatonin were two of the things that helped the a lot. I have read about people that had bad effects from chemo and took AHCC and it helped. We will pray that things will improve.

Stay positive, :lol:

Ernie

Lilly,

None of us knows how strong we are until we have faced something like this. And you are one of the strongest. I doubt many of us would have been in the mood for a large family get together after going through what you did. You should be applauded for handling things as well as you have.

I hope your PET scan provides good news but even if it doesn’t, remember, it could be a false alarm. A biopsy usually provides the definitive evidence. If you look at my history, you will see that I too had CTs, MRIs and PETs that all indicated the cancer had metastasized to my liver. I am glad to say that all the impressive wiz bang medical imaging technology was completely wrong. So don’t let the test results worry you until you have all the facts and options in front of you.

I wanted to update everyone on the PET scan and chemo. I'm actually finally beginning to feel normal again and my next chemo was scheduled for Dec. 5th. I just spoke with my oncologist and that will not happen. My Adrenal gland lit up on the PET scan so tomorrow I have an appointment and today the dr.'s are deciding next step. He is recommending surgery to remove the Adrenal gland and then based on the pathology results I will either stay on the clinical trial and continue with the final chemo round or come off the trial and get several more cycles of very aggressive chemo (stronger than current dose). So the hard battle continues.

I attended my cousins wake and funeral. I found it very difficult to attend because he died of a form of cancer. It was emotionally very difficult but I'm glad I was there.

One more update: When I first found this site I remember the post I put out there thinking I was going to die instantly and not see my baby turn 1. Well yesterday was her 1st birthday. I made it!!!!

Lilly

Lilly,

I just read your post. First of all, happy birthday to that little girl of yours. I am thrilled that you were able to celebrate another milestone with your family.

As for the cancer crap, I am praying for you. This disease just seems to be unrelenting, it makes me want to scream. But, you are strong, and you are a fighter, you will get through this.

I'll pm you later, for now, hang tough and know that all of us here are in your corner.

Hugs,

Tracy