New Member - husband diagnois with nsclc

Flo Bones

Hi Everyone

First of all I would like to thank Ernie for his support and for referring my husband and I to this website. My name is Flo. My husband Terry was diagnois with nsclc (stage IIIB) on December 6, 2006. We are scheduled to meet with an oncologist on December 28 to discuss treatment plan. This is all new to me and I'm still somewhat in a state of unbelief. I'm so thankful for this website because you guys have encourage me and given me hope. After reading all the information on internet about lung cancer, I felt hopeless. But each of you have given me hope. :) I'm still afraid and don't know what to expect. I guess I'm worried about the impact chemo may have on him. As a cargiver, can some of share with me how you supported your spouse during this time.

Hi, Flo, and welcome here. There are many survivors here and courageous survivor stories.

My wife was Stage IV NSCLC. She was given 9 months and lived 4 years. She was able to help others and live a limited but useful and good life. I was her primary caregiver during all that time, as well as her advocate. I went to most of her office visits so we could have two pair of ears to hear and two mouths to ask questions. I went with her for most all chemo treatments, but the radiation treatments (daily and short), we called upon friends to help out so I wouldn't have to do it all.

The patient is usually too tired, too medicated and too sick to fend through the medical system and they need to focus on fighting the disease. So they need an advocate to push on the system, ask questions and be sure things move along and the patient gets what he/she needs. If you have any specific questions, let that be known -- a wealth of experience and knowledge here. Keep us posted on your hubby's progress. Blessings. Don

Welcome Flo, How very difficult for you and your husband to be going through this during the holidays. As you can see from my profile, my husband is also Stage IIIB. Once you have the meeting with the onc and have a treatment plan- let us know what it is--we're here to help.

Hi Flo, welcome to lchelp. When your husband gets a treatment plan implemented, things will settle down a bit. I think I was in a state of disbelief about my diagnosis for a year or longer. I just went through the steps to treat my disease in the midst of my shock and disbelief. I don't think any of us ever thought we would get lc. I know I sure didn't. So, it is treatable, much like a chronic disease for the later stages. I think there are some who start out at 3b and end up proceeding to NED.

Here are some links. I could not find a NCI approved comprehensive cancer center for Georgia. The closest one appears to be in Birmingham:

http://www3.ccc.uab.edu/

There is a cancer center in your neck of the woods that seems to be pretty good. It is at Marietta, Georgia. It is not NCI approved, but that does not necessarily mean it is not a good center.

http://www.wellstar.org/ws_content/ws_h ... ic_id=1328

Don M

Welcome, I am glad that both you and terry have started posting on the site. You will find many caregivers her that will give you support. You and Terry make up a strong team that will beat this cancer, and you know any questions for me just e-mail. It really adds to my Christmas to know that I have helped another person to this site, and I am sure it is people like you that make Katie know they did the right thing by starting this site. Have a Merry Christmas.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

Flo, welcome to the board. I am pretty new at all of this, but have found my husband's chemo to be less intimidating and less disruptive than I expected it would be. Though we've had to make a few accomodations, life has continued pretty normally overall. As mentioned previously, when you let us know what the treatment plan is, everyone will help you with their own experiences and whatever practical tips you need.

You are not alone in this. Merry Christmas to you and Terry.

Hi, Flo, and welcome to you and Terry!

After you meet with the oncologist, please give us Terry's plan of treatment. You can be certain there are others here who are on (or have been on) the same combination of chemo drugs, and they can help you both through the rough spots. The simplest way to share this sort of information is with a chronological profile of treatments, side effects, test results, etc. like you see at the bottom of most of our messages. Click the "My Profile" link at the top of the screen, scroll down to the "Signature" block, enter your data and periodic updates, ensure that "Always attach my signature" is marked "Yes," add a photo in the "Avatar" section if you like, then "Submit." All of your messages that have a profile attached will automatically update. It also relieves you of the need to give background information every time you post -- just plunge into the subject at hand.

Best wishes and Aloha,

Ned

Hi Flo,

Sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosis. You can read below all that has happened to us in the last 2.5 monthes. Never thought we would be here but we are. Gerald isn't working as he has alot of pain...I have been working but am fortunate enough to run my own store and can log in and work from home when necessary. So I have been keeping him company to some degree and have gone with him to all of his appointments. His opinion is positive and that he is going to get rid of this disease which is great but he does tend to put a deaf ear to some of the things the doctors have said. I accompany to all appointments and take notes. He doesn't use the internet so I have been doing alot of research and collecting of what all of these wonderful people on this site and on other sites have been doing/taking to help fight the disease. One thing that is helpful as I am not home all of the time is I made up a spreadsheet which he fills out every morning with things like temperature, weight, pain, constipation - any other pertinent info - so that i can chart it - keep on top of his symptoms and compare to different stages of treatment - ie week of chemo - week off chemo etc. I have found this very useful. Other than that - just alot of support even though I suppose I am driving him nuts asking him if he is alright all of the time. We go to a spiritual healer once a week also - (similar to reike) and this helps build his energy levels. Best of luck and hopefully the oncologist is very pro-active with your case.

Heather

Hi Flo,

Welcome. I was absolutely terrified of how the chemo would affect my husband. As it turned out, he's handled it amazingly well. He's had three cycles so far, and each has brought a different physical response. I know all of the chemicals are different and people seem to have varying side effects, but the anti-nausea drugs really make a difference.

I understand about the disbelief too -- I feel that everyday. But, you just take the steps you need to take at the moment and move forward.

Hi Mrs. Bones!

Glad to meet you, but sorry it is under these circumstances. You and Terry are making a strong start by coming to this support bulletin board. There is much hope, support, and knowledge here.

I agree with many of the "helps" already given. I also printed a chart for Tony's medicines and fluid intake so that we could track it easily. (I then could track his fluid intake and nag him if it wasn't enough!)

As questions pop into your head, write them down in a spiral notebook to save for the Doctor visits. I'm sure you are mentally overwhelmed right now and that is a sure way to "forget" things.

One of the things I found the most difficult was driving -- I know, sounds strange. I was in a weird place mentally when Tony was diagnosed and had a wedge-section biopsy and was in the hospital. I found I had to really snap myself out of it when driving. So take care of yourself also. The stress of the diagnosis can affect you in many different ways that you don't expect.

I have gone with Tony to every Doctor's visit, chemo, radiation, etc. Don is right, it is good to have two sets of ears, especially down the line when Terry may be a little fuzzy-minded from the chemo. If you are able, it is the best thing to do.

One never knows exact reactions to chemo, so keep us posted as he enters his treatment. Someone here will definitely have gone through whatever reactions he may have. Tony was very lucky and never ever was nauseated and he's had a helluva lot of chemo. Men seem to do better statistically in the nausea department then women.

We'll be here for you. You will be relieved once a treatment plan is in place and you feel like you are doing something to fight the beast.

Warm Regards,

Welthy

Hi Flo,

You have found a great support community. My dad was diagnosed almost two months ago and has started his first treatment (carbo/taxotere/avastin). He's doing okay and has maintained his appetite. We live in the Atlanta area as well :D . Where is your husband being treated? It has been a difficult time for us to say the least and it would be wonderful to know that there is someone in the area that we could compare notes with. Keep in touch.

Sincerely,

Needhope

Hi Flo,

My Mom also has stage III lc. she had chronic cough for 8 months, but 10/31 has the ct scan that showed the 'suspicious" lesion. ANyway, we moved rapidly through further diagnostics, found an oncologist we liked, and began treatment - we've changed the plan a few times, but She's starting next week with radiation and chemo. SHe's just so happy to be getting started. (she's being so positive - she has immense faith that the treatment will shrink the tumor, and she's anxious to get started) I think having a plan has given her (and me) something to focus on rather that obsess about the diagnosis and all the scarey stuff.

GOod luck with everything

Jen

Hi Flo,

I know how scared and confused you are right now. Your world just been turned upside down. We here have walked in your shoes either being the victim or the caretaker.

Just know and this is important, LC is NOT a death sentence. There are so many treatments now. Do not listen to stasticts as you have read here so many have beaten the odds and are still hear and doing fine. Please keep positive attitude as that will help you and your husband to get through this.

You will feel better once this roller coaster you are on slows down. Your husband will receive treatment to help him, and this will make you both feel much better.

Also we are here to help you through this. If you have any questions please ask, as there are so many knowledgeable people on here. Also if you need support or prayers, just ask and you will receive.

Hang in there,

Maryanne :wink: