Advice Please....

Heather_T

Let me tell you what I have done so far. I first started chemo Taxol/Carbo back in October once a week for 8 weeks and radiation 30x. Took a 3 week break and started Taxol/Carbo on a 21 day cycle 4 times now. I have been having really bad sharp pains in my joints and muscles and they are in my head too It starts about 3-4 days after chemo and lasts 3 days. I hate it because it takes all my strength away when I am holding something or walking. My arms and legs just give out. On my last chemo visit they had to poke me seven times. I am not an easy person to break down in tears but do that to me with a nurse on both arm trying to get a vein will do it to me. I am starting to have more numbing in my finger tips and lower legs too. My CT Scan came back ok cancer has shrunk alot. Now my question is do you think one more chemo will help that much. He wants me to do one more chemo Mar. 29 and then do a PET. I am just so tired. I don't like to complain, I thank GOD I am here daily and how fortunate I am. I just need to know if it is worth it. I am ready to go to the step what ever that may be. I am a candidate for surgery since it has shrunk off my main artery. What do guys think????? Thanks for listening to me rant.

Hi Heather,

It's a long, hard road for sure. If it were me and the doctors told me to do another chemo, I'd do it. It sounds like they're trying to treat you for a cure? That alone would make it worthwhile to me, even though chemo and all the treatments suck. Maybe you can line up some extra help for your bad days after the next chemo to take a little bit off your shoulders? Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Raney

Heather, I can understand the Fear of not knowing and of course wondering. Since you are a candidate for surgery, Would it be possible to do surgery and then a blast of Chemo as an finish up to the surgery to make sure they got it all asnd then hopefully Done? Something to ask about doing. there may be something to this possibility, I do not know. Only your Doctors can answer thjat question for Sure.

SENDING PRAYERS for strength and peace in this tumultuous time. Keep us posted of course, and let us know if we can help with anything at all.

Heather,

The doctor wanting to do one more cycle is aware of your desire to have surgery if you are able, correct? Do you know who the surgeon would be? If so, ask if you will be healthy enough, given your current health and the suggestion of one more cycle...

What you are experiencing is neuropathy. There are posts on the board about easing it to some degree. My question about all the pokes would be why you don't have a port? My assumption is that you are doing chemo prior to surgery and will have chemo after surgery, why put you through so much misery as the chemo attacks your veins? Not nice, not nice at all...

Do something kind for yourself, reward yourself for being such a trooper, even if it's something simple like a peaceful nap with soothing music playing in the background...

...and if you are wondering, you are NOT a wimp, chemo is poison. You is one tough chickie, keep on keepin' on!

Here's another ounce of determination for you, hang in there!

Becky

Heather,

I don't consider your post to be a rant. Every one of us has had the same concerns you are expressing.

Sorry to hear you are having so many pains and problems. I know they come and change so fast that the whole experience is just overwhelming. I've only had a couple times when my caregivers couldn't find a vein but I know how that feels and what it does to you. I was retired when diagnosed so working wasn't a concern. My problem was the 40 mile drive each way to the hospital. Going in was easy but coming home I'd often have to pull over for a snooze. And thankfully we have a shower on the first floor, doing stairs was just out of the question.

I believe what kept me going then was faith in my doctors and faith in the support and prayers of my friends and family. What keeps me going now are the same things.

Folks are being treated successfully every day and the science for all this treatment is constantly advancing.

Please know that you'll have all that going for you as well as the prayers and support of all of us here.

John

Heather,

You have done a lot of treatment in a short period of time -- that means your oncologist is really pushing the envelope to help save your life. I'd go with his recommendation. (Easy for me to say.:?) It is tough stuff to handle, I know (by proxy) and I'm so sorry. :( Tony had 8 cycles of the same treatment & identical time frame for his "crash" each time. Sometimes he took ativan to relax him through the 3 day period. I know you've been having peripheral neuropathy issues too. It doesn't help much to know why you have the pain, just how the hell to get through it. Hopefully someone can come in and give you a break at home to get through one more treatment. As far as the veins, make sure you drink a ton of water before going to chemo and have them wrap your arm in a heating pad before trying to poke. Both help to raise the veins. Outside of that, you may be looking at Portville to avoid these problems.

Hope this helps a bit in your thought process. Keep us posted. You know we wish you the best. Hugs too!

Welthy

Becky, Just to let you know about the port. I had alot of insurance problems (did not have it at the time) So you know how that is. I have been very blessed with my doctors and the surgeon he is great, he did my thoractomy. I like my Onc too. I do get alot of support from my mom and she took the kids this weekend. That helped alot, very nice and quite in the house. I think I just get a little down sometimes. Thanks for all encouragement you guys give everyone here.

Moms are the best, and dads and grandmas, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends - I'll take anyone these days! Also, about the port, if you can swing it with the insurance somehow, it is totally worth it. Getting hooked up to that thing is nothing, not even 1/2 as bad as starting an iv. (in my opinion at least).

Heather:

Does your onc know about the neuropathy? I was starting to get it during my 6th Taxol/Carbo/Avastin cycle, so I tracked down my onc by phone and he called in a prescription of Neurontin to my local pharmacy. It worked in just 2 or 3 days, to my great relief (see details in my profile). Peripheral neuropathy can be BAD NEWS, even permanently disabling if it goes too far. If you can beat it back, you might feel better about doing another chemo cycle.

Please keep us posted. Aloha,

Ned

Thanks everybody for all your advise. I will just keep my mouth shut to the doc and as Randy says put my big girl panties back on. I drink alot of water before and after chemo because I have so many problems with my veins, use heating pads. I even keep socks on my hands until my appointment so they are warm. It's not that they don't come up but they have knots or they run as soon as they get in there. Anyways thanks for everything.

Oh, wait, don't attribute my pet phrase to Randy, now...

And DON'T not talk to your oncologist about things that worry you. He is your doctor, we are not. We may be fellow warriors, but he is the one with medical training. You may have some issue that is extremely important to have treated immediately, he may be able to tell just by looking at you, we can't.

Take care, Heather. I'm sorry about the veins, mine are the same but don't get punished as often nor as badly. I truly empathize with you there...

Becky

Sorry Becky thought it came from Randy. I saw it on a couple of his posts lately. It's a good one. :lol: I have talked to my Onc and the nurse about all of this going on. They don't know about how many times I have been poked but I am sure that will not change his mind.

Heather, ask your onc if you can get something for the pain. Maybe a mild pain patch you start

Also, if you have had real good success with one particular nurse/lab/CT tech, you can request that they be called to do your IV insertion. Tell them you don't want no rookies fishin' around in there for a vein - only the best!

~Karen

Oh Lilly, I am sorry you have to start chemo without a port. I don't think I could do another chemo without one. Good luck to you. My thoughts are with you. Oh I am going to do my last chemo, I was just feeling down that day. I will get through just like I always have.

Hi Heather_T, Just my 2 cents. Throw out everything you've been told and trust your body. You have been to hell and back. I know that because I've been there myself. You've had more treatment than me. I don't think my body could have handled more. Trust yourself. Your not anywhere near a wimp. Most people couldn't handle what you have been through. Do what you need to do. And have faith. Your coming out the otherside now. Hugs, Liz