Recovery Time?

laflood

Can anyone tell me an approximate timeframe for recovery from a lobectomy? My surgery was on 3/22 and I've been home since 3/29. I am still extremely tired and lack energy. I keep thinking that I should be further along but don't really know for sure if that's appropriate at this stage. I'm not used to being laid up and it's making me feel bad watching my husband do most of the work around the house, etc. Thanks!

How long probably depends on a lot of things, including how healthy you were before surgery and your age. I had a lobectomy at the end of June 2003 and was feeling pretty good after 2 + months. Everybody is different, so it's hard to say. It does take a while though.

Muriel

Hey Lynne!!! Your hubby is doing most of the work, you say :lol: !!! Well, tell him I said it will take you a LONG LONG time to recover :wink: .

Actually I think you are probably doing just fine. I had a lobectomy, but my surgery was out of the box so to speak, so I don't think it fair to compare. However, you are not that far out.....so don't push yourself yet. Exercise......yes........like walking. But it will take you a little while to build yourself back up.

And big time congrats on completing surgery. That is certainly good news.............right up there with hubby doing the housework!!!

Kasey

It's a big surgery, and you had a long hospital stay, which in itself takes a lot out of a person. It sounds like you're doing fine. I might suggest trying to get some exercise every day, just walking, and increase it a little more every day. Not a lot, just a little more than you're comfortable with. That really helps get your strength back.

Recovery is a very individual situation and depends on a lot of factors that others have already discussed.

And as for that housework situation, puh-leese! You've got that right where you need it for now!!!!!! :lol:

Cindy

I was in pretty good shape before my lobectomy and it was about 5 weeks before I was able to go back to work. I stopped the pain meds and started with the long walks about 2 weeks after surgery and I think it helped me recover quicker.

Lynne,

I was still sleeping on the reclining couch at this time out from MY surgery. I wasn't supposed to lift, and my right side hurt so freakin' bad... The pain lessened a little bit each day and I really didn't push anything that hurt. I walked some (but it was cold and the cold in my remaining lung burned something awful) and exercised my fingers on the TV remote...gradually worked into laundry (folding kinda hurt) since no one seemed to understand the soap ratio so there weren't suds coming out the lid...LOL

Take it EASY. BIG trauma to your body, let it heal. The scars are smaller if they aren't stretched.

Hire a cabana boy to fan you and bring you drinks in coconut shells with flowers and umbrellas... Send hubby to the video store and rent some old comedies, it hurts to laugh, but it helps you to heal AND it sure feels better to hurt from laughing than to just plain hurt!

Hang in there!

Becky

Pace yourself my dear! I would do a little, rest a little, do a little, rest again. I've found with my surgeries that if I took it easy the first few weeks and built up my energy recovery was easier down the road.

Look for small tasks each day just to get yourself up. Don't push it.

gail

Hi Laflood, Lots of naps and all the chocolate you can eat for about the next two years. :)

And let the hubby do the work for as long as possible. I had mine holding my hand everywhere we went even in public - just like we were teenagers again.

I say this is the good part of being sick so make it last as long as possible. :)

Barb

Please don't push yourself -- surgery in this area involves a lot of nerve damage and rib pain. That is quite the norm and this area may never feel 100% again. Nerves still try to reconnect years later. Tony only had a VATS wedge-section biopsy and he still says his side doesn't feel "quite right" two years later.

As for all the women who have logged in with their lolly-gagging, gold-bricking advice, all I can say is....... WELL DONE! :lol:

Hope you feel better soon.

Welthy

I had an upper left lobectomy and slept in a recliner for 4 weeks. I walked some, did a few very light things around the house and rested. At 4 weeks we went to Los Vegas but I was NOT 100%. I am still not 100% but I think most of my breathing problems are from the radiation and chemo I had after surgery. Take your time...rest....rest....rest.

Becky had some good advice about the movies. It feels good to laugh even though it hurts..know what I mean? And use your spirometer that they gave you at the hospital. It really helps.

Nina

It will be a while for complete recovery. I am a year and a half out of surgery and I still feel some tightness in my chest. It is much better than it was because at first it was sore and then numb.

Carol

[ laflood ] ...it's making me feel bad watching my husband do most of the work around the house...

Well, Lynne, don't let it! It makes him feel useful to know he's contributing to your recovery. Tell him how much you appreciate his help, and he'll want to do even more. Years from now, you'll both look back on this as a time that truly strengthened your relationship.

It's GREAT to hear that you're doing so well! Aloha,

Ned

Hi there...I had a upper R lobectomy on sept 2004....I had a fairly easy recovery...not a piece of cake but was OK....I made myself walk around my condo and even up and down the steps...I think that helped me to recover quickly...I was back to work in 5 weeks and back to bowling in 6 weeks...

So just relax and let your body heal....walk ...walk ...walk...and don't worry about your hb doing the work...it won't last long...ha...enjoy while you can...best of luck

Pam/nonni

Hi everyone...hope you guys are doing good and getting better...prayers for all of us...all of the time...hugs to all...Pam