I have a "little" problem....

barbaraSanAntone

I don't quite know where to post this, so moderator please feel free to move.

My little problem is "Capullo" a 2 pound, 5 year old teacup chihuahua. I have had him since he was 5 weeks old. I have many friends (no family) who dearly love him, but it is such a responsibility (yes, he's spoiled) to take on a dog (they have pets too, or work or a number of reasons). My plan has been to put him with his vet, if I should become suddenly ill, and friends would take him until he could be properly placed.

But today, something hit me. I met a stranger who stopped and played with Capullo (I'm telling you, everyone loves him) and this man told me his little chi had been stolen/missing for 3 weeks and it was the joy of his life, his wife, his child and this dog meant more to him than anything, and he was feeling such grief. I got to thinking, why not give Capullo to someone now, that way I can see how he adapts, how he might fit in with a new family, and I would feel more secure knowing he was okay.

Now, I havent told any of my friends about my possible new plan, as they may think that I am "giving up", because they know how I love my little dog. But I am realistic, and know that my future is "iffy". So, I am wondering, has anyone faced this kind of problem? Hey, I know there are bigger issues with us folks, but thought someone might give me some help. Thanks.

Good Evening!

I don't know, it might be a good idea to look into some options. If you are anything like my hubby was, our puppy was great therapy and kept him smiling on the toughest of days. He would long to see her face again on the days he had chemo and couldn't bring her with him so, with that said, if Capullo is like this for you, and I am guessing he is, lining someone up to be on standby in the event of an emergency would be good for your peace of mind but without making the changeover unless it became necessary. Maybe someone who could do some dogsitting to see if it was a good fit.

All the best to you! I hope for you to be able to enjoy much more time with Capullo and all of your loved ones.

Peace...Flowergirlie

Barbara,

I think if I were in your position that I would keep Capullo. He probabally would rather be with you. He is also a companion and will be a real comfort and will help with your healing. You have friends and if something happens to you in an auto accident or something, then your friends will see that Capullo is in a fine home. About your future being “iffy, Everyone’s future is iffy. Nobody can predict the future correctly. Keeping Capullo with you is the best thing for both of you. You don’t need any added stress. I know that a pet can actually reduce stress around the house.

Stay positive, :)

Ernie

I agree that you should keep Capullo. I think you would really miss his company at a time when you really need it. That said, it might not be a bad idea to go ahead and select "foster parents" in case you are unable to care for him. That way you will relax knowing that he will be taken care of. I don't think that's "giving up." In fact, I think every pet owner should have a "just in case" plan for their pets. I have contingency plans for my cat because I live alone and i don't want her going to the shelter in the event that something happens to me.

One more loud shout for KEEP the pup. Had I known a year and half ago that I would be diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer I may have not purchased the current "love of my life" a 110 pound german shepherd named Hunter. When I was unexpectedly hospitalized on 2 occasions due to collapsed lungs my friends and neighbors pitched in and saw that he was taken care of. I live out in the country by myself with my cat and my dog. I have made sure that provisions are made in the event of my demise regardless of what brings about the end. I have chosen two friends that I would approve of as homes for my pets and both of those friends know who they are and have said they would be happy to take one or both of them in. Hunter got me through way to many radiation and chemo ups and downs for me to let him go before I absolutely have to.

KEEP HIM!!! As the others said, maybe line up someone as your first choice if you're unable to care for him, but definitely keep him for as long as you can. Maybe if you aren't feeling well, let him stay with the prospective "foster" parents for a few days. It will be good for both of you if he stayed with you as long as possible!! And who knows how long that might be?